Not allowed near the classifieds while drunk
Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll be frank - 2016 was a truly crappy year for me, and I find myself jettisoned into 2017 feeling utterly world weary. 

The hifi has been silent for a while, as my efforts to choose music to listen to have proved fruitless. 

I need music that will restore my faith in existence, blow away the heartaches and revive my flagging spirit. 

Not asking for much then. 

When the chips are down and life gets grimly serious, what do you listen to? 

Cheers

Martin

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can I be Frank please  :D  

Tears for Fears any albums 

Simple Minds ( New Gold Dream )

Oleta Adams  ( Circle of One )

minorrevival

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
France
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I lose myself completely in Handel's keyboard suites. There's a great version performed by Gavrilov and Richter on two double CD sets:

[IMG/
51oM9xzxM7L.jpg

[img/
61Z-DrLfFLL.jpg

or, if you can find it, on LP:

[img/
R-7534466-1443468205-9435.jpeg.jpg

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I could not resist a flippant response first.

"You can walk my path
You can wear my shoes
Learn to talk like me and be an angel too

But maybe you ain't never gonna feel this way
You ain't never gonna know me, but I know you
I'm singing it now
Things can only get better
Can only get better if we see it through
That means me and I mean you too
So teach me now that things can only get better
They can only get, they only get, take it on from here
You know I know that things can only get better"
Now on a more serious note (pun intended  ;-) ). The last thing you should listen to is music that makes you feel sad, what you need is the opposite. I found surprisingly that Blues, either traditional, or modern rock interpretations, has the desired opposite effect.
Something like The Rolling Stones, or something more traditional like B.B.King.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its very difficult to muster any appetite for music when one is feeling down and depressed.  But one piece that always restores me is Beethoven's Eroica.  It has plenty of life and bounce, and profound bits too, especially the slow movement which might provide some catharsis.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Gewandhausorchester-Leipzig-Riccardo-Chailly/dp/B005ULF7IO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1483533031&sr=8-6&keywords=chailly+beethoven

The 4th symphony is good fun, kind of like a knees-up on Mt Olympus.

Springbeg

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 4, 2014
Isle of Lewis
AKA
Keith Anderson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The opening bars of Respighi's 'Il Cucu' from his suite Gli Uccelli (The Birds) are like a shaft of sunlight following a storm.

There are many fine recordings to be had.  Two I favour are Dorati on Mercury Living Presence and a stunning modern recording on sacd by Henry Raudales and the Munich Radio Orchestra (CPO label).

Ears

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2006
Elsewhere, ,
Agreed. Haydn's Opus 20 string quartets always make me feel better.

Or try Schubert's Trout quintet, the original feel good music?

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its very difficult to muster any appetite for music when one is feeling down and depressed.  But one piece that always restores me is Beethoven's Eroica.  It has plenty of life and bounce, and profound bits too, especially the slow movement which might provide some catharsis.
+1  If you can possibly do it get hold of the DVD of Barenboim conducting the Berlin Philly.  It will take you on a journey and at the end of it you emerge strengthened.  Any good performance will do, but the video helps.  

horace

Not allowed near the classifieds while drunk
Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you 

I've put together quite a playlist based on the suggestions so far. I have most of the classical stuff - that Karajan recording of the Grieg is an old favourite, so I might start with that. 

I shall be turning the wick up and scaring the neighbours. 

A good Beethoven 9 to finish, methinks. Any suggestions for the ultimate recording of that? I have the 1960s and 1980s DG Karajans, but have always meant to look further. 

Cheers 

I'm feeling better already. 

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ode to Joy - pffft. Sends me straight back to the place I'm trying to crawl out of! The better the hifi, the worse the effect. But YMMV!

I quite like some Copland if I'm feeling a bit low, but it works for all moods. There's wide open space that lets you think, but it's inhabited, not the vastness that some music has you whirling into.

Appalachian Spring has moments of sheer joy and I find the twilit ending contemplative and anything but depressing. The Hoe-Down from Rodeo is good for a quick kick up the jacksie, and scaring the neighbours off could be considered a form of therapy in itself.

I second (or third) Oleta for a pick me up too!

Here's to you mate.

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just remembered something.  A Frenchman (can't remember the name, sorry) was asked what music should one listen to.  I have never forgotten his reply.  His words were to the effect of: You should always listen to music of the mood you are currently in.  I must have heard / read this 30 years ago but it has always stuck with me.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
chris217 said:
If you wish to be uplifted, almost anything by Haydn would fit the bill.
Good choice, but for me Mozart even more.  I love a bit of classical I can whistle along with!

And the first classical music I liked, Vivaldi's 4 Seasons, the Academy of St Martin's version with Neville Marriner on Decca.  The icy flow of Winter always gives me tingles.

minorrevival

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
France
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good choice, but for me Mozart even more.  I love a bit of classical I can whistle along with!

And the first classical music I liked, Vivaldi's 4 Seasons, the Academy of St Martin's version with Neville Marriner on Decca.  The icy flow of Winter always gives me tingles.
Also the four seasons with Sparf on violin on the BIS label, which I first heard about on this forum. A dramatic performance and superbly recorded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online