Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Am pondering a change of cartridge - I've owned a shelled SPU (a GM Mk2) and loved it, there being something rather magical about its musical presentation. I have been looking at the naked one ie that fits straight into a conventional headshell - question is, does the SPU's shell contribute positively to the cartridge's sound or conversely even hold it back?

It would appear that the naked SPU is a rare beast (excepting the SPU Royal which can be bought as-so) so am wondering if it's more than nostalgia (they do look rather nice, let's admit) which makes folk buy them with the traditional SPU shell. The naked SPU GM E is a fair bit cheaper than the 'full' version too.

Thanks. :)

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I can't help with the comparisons you are asking for, but I do have a naked SPU N that I use occasionally. You're welcome to borrow it and draw your own conclusions, if you like?

You could return it to me at Scalford :dunno:

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't help with the comparisons you are asking for, but I do have a naked SPU N that I use occasionally. You're welcome to borrow it and draw your own conclusions, if you like?You could return it to me at Scalford :dunno:
Wow! That would be very kind of you Paul - thanks. :^

Would be a very worthwhile exercise indeed as I do like the Benz very much, but like to keep an open mind. :)

I'll pm you my details.

speedysteve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My SPU Royal N never sang properly until it was married with the heavy headshell version that goes with the FR64s arm. Combined mass 31g.

Until that point I had always favoured the Silver Meister which has a mass of 30g or was it 32g - can't remember!

The Royal N has the Replikant 100 stylus profile which seems very surface noise resistant, not that the Elliptical Meister is noisy, and the Royal tracks 0.5g lighter at 3.5g.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles