Name of switch type, marantz ?

qwrp

New Wammer
Mar 29, 2019
Hello there

I am wondering if anyone knows the name of this type of switch I highlight in the picture attached?  It is from a marantz PM-44-se.

it is a type of remote switch. It has a rotatory select on one end (for selecting AUX CD, Phono and Tuner.) and a black plastic and metal band remotely slides the PCB slide switch.

There are few markings on the switch. "ALPS Japan". with " 414E"  on the pcb slide switch housing and "417t" on the turn selector connected to the panel. it has (12)6 x 2 pins.

Thanks for any help.

1marantz-switch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my (limited) experience Marantz seems to have a love affair with crappy unobtainable Alps sliding switches. Maybe it guarantees a further amp sale after a few years?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably the only likely source is either by contacting Marantz or Alps.

In view of what a replacement is likely to cost, I'd keep an eye on a well-known auction site and try and buy a low-priced entire amp for spares. It's likely to work out cheaper in the end. Try and see if some of the cheaper variants use the same system/part.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They really are shite, it must surely be built in obsolescence. I attempted to restore an amp with these switches and they all just fail, one after another. It isn't a question of a bit of contact cleaner; open one up and you will see that they cannot last, they are so poorly made.
Might explain the regularity of junked Marantz gear in the local recycling centres that I see and feel no wish to rescue.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

qwrp

New Wammer
Mar 29, 2019
Thanks guys for the ideas,  much appreciated.    I spent ages and ages searching ...I found one that had more pins but no codes or info to help find the right part..

I really like the concept of the switch on the PCB and a remote dial.   really nice way to keep the signal path short and on the board.

All the best,

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a myth. There are two reasons to keep the signal path wiring short. The first is to avoid interference pickup, which should not be a problem with decent construction and design. The second is that it's cheaper and easier.

I'll probably do it for my pre, with an extension rod and the selector switch on a bracket near the back of the case, but that's simply because it takes away the hassle of routing six sets of signal cables right round the case. The electrons won't give a damn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online