Linn Owners

Network Question - There's probably an obvious answer to this...

JohnnyBuchan

Wammer
Nov 7, 2019
Lichfield UK
AKA
John Buchan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hiya,
Hope you guys can explain this to me... its frying my head! :)
I run a mesh wifi around the house if I connect my ISP Router (in Modem mode) into the Switch and then connect everything else into the switch, all works just fine except for Kazoo/ASH that can't find the system.
However, if I connect the IPS Router directly into the mesh base station and connect the mesh to the switch, Kazoo/ASH works as you would expect.
Could someone explain why one way works and one doesn't please??
Thanks
JB

Coalboy68

Life in the fast Linn
Wammer
Dec 30, 2020
NE England
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing networky is ever easy if you have a problem but what is your switch as these can be managed or unmanaged etc

Reactions: JohnnyBuchan

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you connect something else to the switch with the same cable in the same socket does it work? Wondering if port is enabled or you have dodgy cable/port.

Are you using any audiophile cables such as AQ Vodka (worst cable I’ve tried)? If so try swapping them out for a higher quality cable (Fluke test) such as a Connectix Cat 5e Magic Patch Lead (these cost about £1).

I use HP switches and Connectix and Blue Jeans Cables and do not experience these problems so it should work. If we know more about your network setup we may be able to help.

peter@57m

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2015
Surrey, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hiya,
Hope you guys can explain this to me... its frying my head! :)
I run a mesh wifi around the house if I connect my ISP Router (in Modem mode) into the Switch and then connect everything else into the switch, all works just fine except for Kazoo/ASH that can't find the system.
However, if I connect the IPS Router directly into the mesh base station and connect the mesh to the switch, Kazoo/ASH works as you would expect.
Could someone explain why one way works and one doesn't please??
Thanks
JB
Just wondering what is performing the router function in your network?
You have the ISP router set to Modem mode so its not that.
The switch I assume is just a switch.
So is your mesh base station providing the router function.
When you say everything else works - are all these things using the mesh network and your ASH is wired to the switch?
This would explain what is happening as the ASH would probably be unable to get an address from the mesh hub.

Just my uneducated guess :)

JohnnyBuchan

Wammer
Nov 7, 2019
Lichfield UK
AKA
John Buchan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suspect you have hit the nail on the head, in that its the mesh hub that's doing the job of the router. Although even before switching the ISP to modem mode I still had to route the internet connection to the switch via the mesh hub so the ASH could see the common household network.

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I had the same thing going on in my network. I use an eero mesh system. My memory is a little vague, but connecting the network switch directly to the ISP provided modem/router and connecting the eero base to the switch didn’t work. The solution was to go ISP modem to eero base to switch to DSM.

Reactions: JohnnyBuchan

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm far from a networking guy, but if the ISP device is being used in modem mode, then you'd normally have a standalone router wired to the modem, then the switch wired to that. As I see it, if the mesh hub is acting as the router (or can act as a router) then it needs to be the 'hub' so connected directly to the modem and everything then connected through it (modem -> mesh hub -> switch).

We have a somewhat more complex setup here, but the fundamental aspect of it is using the ISP device as a pure modem but adding a router directly connected to the modem and everything else fed from that.

peter@57m

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2015
Surrey, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What may have been happing for @JohnnyBuchan and @akamatsu when you had your ISP box as both modem/router and the mesh box is that you had two routers in your network creating two separate networks.
When the switch is before the mesh box, the switch and AKSH are on the ISP network and everything else would be on the mesh network with each router assigning different sets of IP addresses. In this environment devices on the different networks cannot communicate (I believe it is possible but needs special settings in the routers).
If they happened to assign the same set of IP address then different devices could end up with the same IP address and all bets as to what will happen are off.
Even if they are both acting as routers when you connect the mesh box first, then all other devices are on the mesh network and can all see each other.

Again I am not a network expert and am happy to be corrected

• Upvote
Reactions: heimo and akamatsu

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What may have been happing for @JohnnyBuchan and @akamatsu when you had your ISP box as both modem/router and the mesh box is that you had two routers in your network creating two separate networks.
When the switch is before the mesh box, the switch and AKSH are on the ISP network and everything else would be on the mesh network with each router assigning different sets of IP addresses. In this environment devices on the different networks cannot communicate (I believe it is possible but needs special settings in the routers).
If they happened to assign the same set of IP address then different devices could end up with the same IP address and all bets as to what will happen are off.
Even if they are both acting as routers when you connect the mesh box first, then all other devices are on the mesh network and can all see each other.

Again I am not a network expert and am happy to be corrected
Yes! It‘s key to know what‘s going on in your home network. So I would always check with IPCONFIG and PING (on Windows) or with FING (on iOS) the IP addresses and make sure, that all required parts are in the same network.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moomintroll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.