Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You should try an Audio Gd dac Eddie that's where I am now. I've got a couple of their WM8741 based ones and like them a lot.
Is this what you have Lawrence? Seems a good price £353 on offer. 

£353.19  8%OFF | Audio-GD R2R 11 Discrete R-2R Stepped Resistor Headphone/Preamp/DAC (DSD native / DXD / PCM) R-2R step resistor D

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vcTfEk

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got the SMSL  SU-8s which looks identical to your DAC but not sure if the filter settings are the same. I have selected "Tube 2 " and find it give a really nice smooth detailed three dimensional performance. 

• Upvote
Reactions: eddie-baby

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got the SMSL  SU-8s which looks identical to your DAC but not sure if the filter settings are the same. I have selected "Tube 2 " and find it give a really nice smooth detailed three dimensional performance. 
Yes they are very similar. Have to be honest this SMSL DAC is pretty decent. I've been using it for quite a few days now and I'm not sure if it's changed or I've just adjusted to it but I'm enjoying music with it.

The ease of use is brilliant as well, and it has rock solid connection and good sound via Bluetooth. It's got Hi-Res LDAC whatever that is as well if you change a settings on the phone to best quality over stable connection. Either connection is stable though and I feel it does make it a bit better than standard Bluetooth.

The sound colour filters are a nice touch but 'very' subtle. I've settled on Rich 2 for my personal preference. Although I would say perhaps standard is perhaps the most detailed and resolving of the lot. The tube filters I get as well. I do have a tube buffer here as an option and with the two outputs of this DAC I can even A/B it with a tube buffer in the loop. It is clever what they did with the tube filter, it does actually give it that tube effect to the sound without actually using tubes. I was quite impressed at what they did there. Although for me I'm on rich 2 with it going through tubes as well most of the time :)

Value for money and functionality it's a good bit of kit. I'd still say its aimed more toward a clean, clear and detailed sound though than a seductive or warm fuzzy feeling.

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have bluetooth on the SU-8s but feed it direct from an Audiolab transport then directly into Adam active speakers via balanced outputs.  Im my mind it gives a great representation of what is on the CD.

• Upvote
Reactions: eddie-baby

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have bluetooth on the SU-8s but feed it direct from an Audiolab transport then directly into Adam active speakers via balanced outputs.  Im my mind it gives a great representation of what is on the CD.
Yes I get this, it does actually feel like I am listening to the recording over listening to the characteristics of the dac. Would that mean it's neutral and transparent I suppose. It does get out of the way. I would definitely say it's closer to the recording over colouring it. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online