Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi 

We will be moving the main system to our other home later this year. There we always have a lot of people in the lounge including children. I am worried that my Harbeths may get nudged or knocked and being on Something Solid stands might mean damage to the speaker or even worse injure someone. 

Can anyone recommend a flat top (not sure of the right word) suitable stand please as it seems that in the UK the majority of dealers recommend SS for Harbeth  

Thanks

D

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that. Looks like the sort of thing any carpenter could do. They don’t have any prices so I shall write to them. Thanks!

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They don’t have any prices so I shall write to them. Thanks!
Get ready for a shock. They used to be on the expensive side, but were probably worth it. When they became popular, the price went through the roof.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well out of interest I will write to them but the design is so simple and doesn’t appear to apply any form of ‘technology’. It seems to be just bits of wood unlike Hutter and Quadraspire. 

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well out of interest I will write to them but the design is so simple and doesn’t appear to apply any form of ‘technology’. It seems to be just bits of wood unlike Hutter and Quadraspire. 
True, but Alan Shaw seems to approve and only requires that the tweeter is at the right height!  Obviously you really need some nice floor standers!

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I made mine from Argos chopping boards and wickes staircase spindles and put isopucks under the shl5plus. Very solid indeed. 

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi 

We will be moving the main system to our other home later this year. There we always have a lot of people in the lounge including children. I am worried that my Harbeths may get nudged or knocked and being on Something Solid stands might mean damage to the speaker or even worse injure someone. 

Can anyone recommend a flat top (not sure of the right word) suitable stand please as it seems that in the UK the majority of dealers recommend SS for Harbeth  

Thanks

D
I use these (legs only) with my similarly sized LS3/6s.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone. Those Ikea stools are inspired! At that price it’s an easy buy and try. 

I am sure that Alan Shaw has stated historically that anything will do as a stand and that at least one reviewer used kitchen stools. Is there a specific reason why people recommend SS and will the sound change much? Am assuming that nothing dramatic will change  maybe I am wrong?

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone. Those Ikea stools are inspired! At that price it’s an easy buy and try. 

I am sure that Alan Shaw has stated historically that anything will do as a stand and that at least one reviewer used kitchen stools. Is there a specific reason why people recommend SS and will the sound change much? Am assuming that nothing dramatic will change  maybe I am wrong?
IMO. Stands do make a difference.

Harbeths, due to their BBC thin walled design, like light, open framed  stands - which interfere as little as possible with the cabinet.

The HiFi racks stands are supposed to work well, though I haven't heard them.

The IKEA stools are certainly worth a shot and should work fine.

Heavy filled stands can make them sound overly slow, warm and plodding.

Disarmamant

Certified foo free
Wammer
Mar 30, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have my SHL5 on something solid stands. These are very stable stands as the speaker is supported at it’s extremities on each corner. The extended feet also help to give the stand a wide base.

The whole thing feels very rigid when the speaker is on the stand.

It would be difficult to topple the whole speaker and the stand, agreed the speaker could be knocked off the stand, but surely that would be the case for any other type of speaker stand? Unless the speaker was actually fixed to the top of the stand of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
In the past I have used ..skylan stands to good effect , currently use black hifi racks stands, very nice indeed , 

but a change of plans to a bedroom layout  , room change etc . has been scuppered, so my harbeth shl5 anniversary and stands

will be up for sale soon,...…..my long term floorstanders will stay in the lounge...…..so not a happy bunny at the moment as the

harbies  are utterly divine as music producers , …….oh well .

• Sad
Reactions: Nopiano

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have my SHL5 on something solid stands. These are very stable stands as the speaker is supported at it’s extremities on each corner. The extended feet also help to give the stand a wide base.

The whole thing feels very rigid when the speaker is on the stand.

It would be difficult to topple the whole speaker and the stand, agreed the speaker could be knocked off the stand, but surely that would be the case for any other type of speaker stand? Unless the speaker was actually fixed to the top of the stand of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have the SS as well which is why I need safer ones. As there is no top plate it’s really easy to knock them off. 

Do you have 2x5 year olds, 2x 11 year olds and several adults round at the same time in a 5x4 meter room? I do and it’s scary thinking that I even want to put the Harbeths in the room in the first place!! 

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the past I have used ..skylan stands to good effect , currently use black hifi racks stands, very nice indeed , 

but a change of plans to a bedroom layout  , room change etc . has been scuppered, so my harbeth shl5 anniversary and stands

will be up for sale soon,...…..my long term floorstanders will stay in the lounge...…..so not a happy bunny at the moment as the

harbies  are utterly divine as music producers , …….oh well .
No way keith , that's a real shame , they sound so good in your set up  

Reactions: deggie

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the SS as well which is why I need safer ones. As there is no top plate it’s really easy to knock them off. 

Do you have 2x5 year olds, 2x 11 year olds and several adults round at the same time in a 5x4 meter room? I do and it’s scary thinking that I even want to put the Harbeths in the room in the first place!! 
I would have Heart failure if that was the case 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online

Wammers Online