no one takes amy notice of downloaded music

E

earl of sodbury

Exactly the reason I gave up on the computer audio/IPod/Server routea whileback - you never get the chance to get a feel for the artistic direction the music's coming from without some sort of wieldy media to browse, and with the ability todownload 100s of 1000s of tracks everything just blurs into a shapeless, meaningless wad of pabulum - fine as a form of environmental anaesthesia, but utterly unengaging, with no sense of occasion whatsoever - I like and need a sense of ritual to music listening, sad fuckka that I am...

I also found that I tended to short-cut to favourite bits of music which I would listen to too often and rather carelessly, and find I was fed-up in no-time with stuff that previously used to make my neck hairs rise. That's actually a pretty gutting experience, and one I'm happy to avoid...

IME.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not much of a surprise,given the empty noises usuallycoming from these things whendoing commuting.Act of downloadingseemsan aim in itselffor those youngsters.

Do not understandthe'back in the19th century' quote as involving music can be found in each past era and genre (except for rap
tongue.png
).

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Couldn't agree more sodders.

I love the selection, anticipation, unwrapping (not), opening, putting the disc, getting comfy and pressing play.. and just hoping it will grab you.

Last time this happened it was a total surprise as I had bought Maddonna's new album. (I can't stand her and most of her back catalogue makes me want to puke.) But on the basis of an album track I heard at work I decided to risk £8.00 and it paid off.

Had I been using iLunes I would have found that one track and ignored the rest of the album, then grown bored of the track and that would have been that. The idea of throw away music makes me sad.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
sad state of affairs, especially as it apparently makes people appreciate pop idol more
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
:shock:
reason enough me thinks for downloading to be banned!!!

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
hifiwigwam wrote:

Couldn't agree more sodders.I love the selection, anticipation, unwrapping (not), opening, putting the disc, getting comfy and pressing play.. and just hoping it will grab you.

Last time this happened it was a total surprise as I had bought Maddonna's new album. (I can't stand her and most of her back catalogue makes me want to puke.) But on the basis of an album track I heard at work I decided to risk £8.00 and it paid off.

Had I been using iLunes I would have found that one track and ignored the rest of the album, then grown bored of the track and that would have been that. The idea of throw away music makes me sad.
Bingo, that's what I've beenexperiencing with my last large order. For nearly all of the CD's, it will be the first time I've heard any of the tracks onlywhen I press play, love the antci.................pation. I think the big problem is everybody gets so bored quickly these days, so there not prepared to listen to a whole track let alone a whole album.,so when they have an iPod etc with 1000's of tunes the just skip to another song and just delete the old one. Fits perfectly with our throw away society unfortunately
sad.png

peter312

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2005
Cheshire, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Testure wrote:

Fits perfectly with our throw away society unfortunately
sad.png
I find it unforgiveable that the ipods and latest sony mp3 things (to name but two) come with sealed-in batteries that are not "your average" user replaceable.

Once the thing has been used for a year or three, I believe it is often "rubber ducked". The choice seems to then be to pay a lot of money to have the battery replaced at a repair centre or throw the ipod/sony thing away. What a waste of resources.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH, I sound like a tree hugger!

angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif

Blue Floyd

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2006
Essex, , United King
A couple of years ago I downloaded some tunes and burned them to CD. I did it out of curiosity to hear what the fuss was all about. I never repeated the experiment. I do not have an i pod or any such device. I rarely even listen to music in my car. I hate music being used as wallpaper. If I can't hear it live I listen on a decent Hi-Fi set up or not at all.

Thats me and I don't apologise for it.

David.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think music is one of the most important things in my life. It allows me to relax and leave all the crap of my everyday life behind.

When I was a youngster I was a complete metalhead. First hear thrash metal just totally blew me away - so intense. Then as I got older I got to appreciate classical, jazz, world music and other genres. The impact of listening the Mahler's 6th or 9th, Bruckner's symphonies or stuff like Einstein on the Beach had the same impact as listening to those thrash metal tracks years ago.

Part of the enjoyment of music is finding out about bands/composers/genres and chatting to firends about it. I recently got a friend addicted to Unkle and DJ Shadow - music he normally goes nowhere near.

Neither of us download music and have always been into it. I feel sorry that that these people will never get the excitement I got from first listening to The Clash, Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix, Mahler, Beethoven, etc..

When people come into my listening room the first thing they mention isn't the hifi but the collection of records and cds I have.

I feel sorry for these people - power to the ipod generation, apathy rules.

E

earl of sodbury

Blue Floyd wrote:

A couple of years ago I downloaded some tunes and burned them to CD. I did it out of curiosity to hear what the fuss was all about. I never repeated the experiment. I do not have an i pod or any such device. I rarely even listen to music in my car. I hate music being used as wallpaper. If I can't hear it live I listen on a decent Hi-Fi set up or not at all. Thats me and I don't apologise for it.

David.
Welcome BF: you are not alone.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Testure wrote:

Fits perfectly with our throw away society unfortunately
sad.png
I have every LP, 45, CD and Cassette I Have ever bought or recorded. Can't bare the thought of throwing them away incase I might want to listen again some time (even Head On by Samson). It drives SWMBO mad as we have to fit them all in our house. During the CD years she was on at me to get rid of the vinyl, as I had nothing to play them on.

I have never and never will down load a track as it would not be a tangible "thing" to add to my collection!

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, ,
AKA
Tim
I dont like listening to music in noisy environments via headphones, to me this is not a situation to appreciate music and further i prefer to have my wits about me on the tube etc.

As i have previously stated i will never pay to download compressed music. However i recently stumbled on a site called hybridized.org which has many live sets available from artists such as hybrid/way out west etc. These are legitimate downloads that the artists have agreed to make available. Ive burned a few to CDR and listen to them in the car, for me a great find.
smile.png

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cloth-Ears wrote:

I see samples as often crucial to placing an order. It is important to provide extensive samples and not just 3 or 4 from an album. Not being able to sample an unknownalbum fully diminishes my confidence to buy further if that one turns out to be a disappointment. Retail sites who are mean with the samples should realise this.
I agree. Samples are great.

Amazon's 'listen to all samples' feature isjust brilliant.

E

earl of sodbury

notaclue wrote:

Cloth-Ears wrote:
I see samples as often crucial to placing an order. It is important to provide extensive samples and not just 3 or 4 from an album. Not being able to sample an unknownalbum fully diminishes my confidence to buy further if that one turns out to be a disappointment. Retail sites who are mean with the samples should realise this.
I agree. Samples are great.

Amazon's 'listen to all samples' feature isjust brilliant.
Inasmuch as it pleaseth almighty me: you are right about that, Tonto.

konig

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2005
Brentwood, Essex, ,
Easily accessed tunes mean many music lovers are no longer excited at discovering and playing unfamiliar work

depends how youaquire mp3 music.

'one' could download/ share with others and discover all sorts of new genres and albums cheaply or for free, then buy them on CDfor a proper listen if 'one' wassuitable impressed.

konig

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2005
Brentwood, Essex, ,
having read the whole thread i s'pose i sit on the fence -

I love mp3 for the sheer convenience when commuting or doing other outside stuff.

I also love (and prefer) to listen to proper hi fi at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.