1. No

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Subwoofer that is 😊

After much deliberation, I have decided to give one a go. Do I need one? I don’t really know but let’s get some advice. It’s the one area in audio I haven’t ventured in to so any tips are most welcome.
Checking back, I wonder to what extent this question arose purely from curiosity or at least a slight dissatisfaction with your system's current bass performance? I'm asking because given the bass extension of your speakers you're bound to have a fair degree of overlap with a sub (assuming you're not going to use additional processing), and so likely get more bass in frequency range you already have as well as increased bass extension (assuming you get a capable enough sub).

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Checking back, I wonder to what extent this question arose purely from curiosity or at least a slight dissatisfaction with your system's current bass performance? I'm asking because given the bass extension of your speakers you're bound to have a fair degree of overlap with a sub (assuming you're not going to use additional processing), and so likely get more bass in frequency range you already have as well as increased bass extension (assuming you get a capable enough sub).
Curiosity Martin as much as experimentation and investigation to extend the bass

Reactions: garn63

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As the driver size question came up I'll say that personally I think bigger is probably generally better...

In terms of personal experience I've owned three subs; two with 12" drivers and one with a 15" driver. Here's a comparison I posted on another forum of a 12" ported sub (BK Monolith) and a 15" sealed sub (Power Sound Audio S1510), which covers music first then movies:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/po...ry-of-mojogoes.1953630/page-168#post-27814740

My main speakers are 2-way with 6.5" bass drivers. I high-pass filter these so that frequencies below 110 Hz go to my 15" sealed sub instead, because it sounds better. There's more to this than driver size but it's not like the big driver is an obvious problem or I wouldn't do this!

From a theoretical perspective there are good reasons to use large drivers for low bass. If there is a single, small driver trying to generate low bass it has to move in and out a lot to generate any meaningful sound level, and bass extension is also limited. Generally such high driver excursion is associated with higher distortion, although this does depend on the driver. The way to reduce driver movement for the same sound level is to increase the total driver area, which can either be done by having multiple smaller drivers or a single larger driver. For context, a single 15" driver has ballpark the same radiating area as five 6.5" drivers. Notably large drivers are also specifically designed for the lowest frequencies.

The higher the desired sound levels and the greater the desired bass extension the stronger the argument for larger drivers becomes, but conversely subs with smaller drivers are of course a totally viable option for those with more modest expectations. Both absolutely work for people :) .

Reactions: Rockchild

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your room, from the photo, appears to allow you to have pretty large speakers and with them out into the room.

Have you considered panels? Quad or Apogee or Magnepan?

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your room, from the photo, appears to allow you to have pretty large speakers and with them out into the room.

Have you considered panels? Quad or Apogee or Magnepan?
It’s a wide angle photo 😊 done some panels years ago. Brings a whole new can of worms, amplifier etc

Reactions: JANDL100

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m not sure your budget is sufficient to get a worthwhile sub. You might be able to get some kind of home theatre sub with a 10 inch driver for that, but I’m not convinced it would be likely to be good enough to pair with the Harbeths.
I think this is right. The 'problem' is that your speakers are so good. The sub has to be of similar quality to your speakers. Otherwise you are swapping one issue (little bass) for another (muddy bass).

Reactions: rabski and bigrod

Idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not even sure that the cost equivalence is really a thing.

My speakers were 8 times more expensive than my sub (REL T5i) but they work exceptionally well together.

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For that price you could get one from Wilmslow Audio, build it and get good results.
I have one I built years ago. Never listen without it.
The old gaffer built one to go with his ATC active 100's and if it can improve the sound of those, you can appreciate the quality on offer.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Old Thread. I’ve tried the subs by borrowing 2 Rel’s and although there was a difference, it wasn’t as effective as the amp change. Far more rewarding.
Also, suspended floors and plasterboard walls are much to do with the issues of not going that route. Gaia’s have made a big difference too.

Reactions: Snoopdog

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
" Ok, I’m going to give one a go "

One ? stereo is 2 😉

Not really relevantly so for the frequency range covered by a subwoofer ;).

(The principle reasons for considering multiple subs don't relate to music being stereo.)

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not really relevantly so for the frequency range covered by a subwoofer ;).

(The principle reasons for considering multiple subs don't relate to music being stereo.)
Agree, for most domestic listening rooms the room is too small for the human ear to detect any directionality so 1 is fine. The reason why 2 is better is that you are likely to drive any room modes if the subs are in 2 different locations in a room and thereby provide you with a more even bass response.

Reactions: mac72

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried a sub in my office system, but with a suspended wooden floor, I just couldn’t get it right.

Put it back on eBay and got a lot more than I paid for it.

Glad I tried it though. One less itch to scratch now.

DG…

arturo

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2009
Herts
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
You may need an exit strategy, from the sub rabbit hole. I entered it 20 years ago with a 1st gen Rel Storm. Many iterations later, this week installed a rel S 212/sx. That’s what a sub can do to you. Bon courage.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Wow
Reactions: Strider

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fom my experience I'd go for a sealed box, I'm not a fan of a ported sub for 2.1/stereo, ported boxes are for HC. I'd also recommend using hi-level input better S/R and ruling out 3rd party DSP possibly introducing signal delay.

You've probably heard that two subs are better than a single sub (I agree) but before jumping in at the deep end you could just buy a cheaper REL (my choice) or MJ Acoustics to get a flavour of how a sub sounds with your present kit.

Nice looking kit but its the slippers that really made me go all squishy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.