On or off cd display

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
For a long time Naim users have said the cd player sounds better with display switched off, and I saw as much wrote on another companies web site

And just a few minutes ago saw the same said on Exposure web site

http://www.exposurehifi.com/exposurehifi/3010_catalogue.pdf

now this time its even put in the selling blurb

so what does the forum members think ?

I am doing some off and on listening tests as I type ....... would love to know your views

PS this post needed a Naim "sheep" where is it ?

and for exposure I can use this emoticon :flasher:

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It makes no difference on my Marantz or my Copland CD players. I have closed my eyes and tried to guess whether the wife has disabled the display and never once spotted it any more than around 50 to 60%

Oh and those WERE lucky guesses.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
I've tried stabbing the 'display off' button on the remote an indeterminate number of times with my eyes shut and trying to guess the state of the display - no way I can tell even the slightest change.

they recommended you to switch it off in the manual though
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

T.white

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 31, 2005
South Wales, , Unite
Davewhityetagain wrote:

For a long time Naim users have said the cd player sounds better with display switched off, and I saw as much wrote on another companies web siteAnd just a few minutes ago saw the same said on Exposure web site

I am doing some off and on listening tests as I type ....... would love to know your views

Well I've got an opinion,

I recently got hold of a CD5i to try with a Primaluna amp and PMC GB1's,

In that system I prefer the sound it makes with the unit switched off completely...:puke:

Amazing really, as hearing the same player with a Nait 5 and the GB1's was very good.

There you go eh?

G

Off if you know the cd very well and on if you don't know the songs or track numbers. Its very simple this hifi lark.

On a serious note its off of course:dude:

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
T.white wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
For a long time Naim users have said the cd player sounds better with display switched off, and I saw as much wrote on another companies web siteAnd just a few minutes ago saw the same said on Exposure web site

Well I've got an opinion,

I recently got hold of a CD5i to try with a Primaluna amp and PMC GB1's,

In that system I prefer the sound it makes with the unit switched off completely...:puke:

Amazing really, as hearing the same player with a Nait 5 and the GB1's was very good.

There you go eh?
I have cd5i into Nait 5 via din to din and have just switched the display off on the amp too :nerd:

S

smu

It makes no audible difference to my naim 5x,but i do dim the lights when i'm not jamin !

nsherin

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2005
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The last and only CDP I've owned with a 'Display Off' function was a Sony CDP-XE370. Can't say I could notice any difference with the display on or off.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In a similar threadearlier this yearMrC. explained that depending on the designit can make adifference forcertainplayers.

I tried it with allMF and Marantzcdps I´ve owned in the past, without anynoticable difference.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Biscuit wrote:

I've tried stabbing the 'display off' button on the remote an indeterminate number of times with my eyes shut and trying to guess the state of the display - no way I can tell even the slightest change.they recommended you to switch it off in the manual though
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
Interesting - I can get it 9/10 times with the Victor using the same method. It is a little brighter with it on, so the setting I use depends on the music.
wink.png

I'm sure that woolly class A amp will muffle the effect nicely though.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
not_worthy.gif.606503e2f2ceaa5be9e2770f927f316c.gif
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

I never tried it with Vicky - maybe the little one isn't revealing enough
wink.png

I'm impressed that you can hear it though - JVC definately recommend off in the manual.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I only started hearing it after installing the Rotel amps and the Contour 1.8s. That Cyrus pre would have covered it up for sure. The system is a lot more revealing now, but a little less forgiving. Can we ever win? :Not Sure:

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
meninblack wrote:

I only started hearing it after installing the Rotel amps and the Contour 1.8s. That Cyrus pre would have covered it up for sure. The system is a lot more revealing now, but a little less forgiving. Can we ever win? :Not Sure:
Amp and speakers could be the issue here. I wonder if a less cudly amp n speakers set up would expose the difference on my Copland.

Will have to drag it round to Hawks or Duvets when I finaly get round to hearing their systems.

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
With the display off on my Marantz it is slightly smoother, but switching the digital output off makes a bigger difference, quite shocking actually:shock:. Could not tell the difference on any of my previous CD players, including my old Naim CDX.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know - all these expensive CD manufacturers that can't even make an LCD display that doesn't fuck up the sound
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif

I used to turn off the display on my Sony, cause it looked nicer. A nicer-looking LCD, now that would be worth paying for
wink.png

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
never been able to hear a difference either with the rega planet 2k... power cables were a different matter
allrun.gif.2dcd1cfcd00feccff4530e9a308ebccd.gif

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm, got me wondering now.

Last year when the display illumination bulbs went on my brother-in-law's NAD CD player, did i make a mistake by replacing them for him?

Should i have just told him to live with it and ebjoy the increased quality??
wink.png

E

eisenach

Always switch the display off on my TAG, but that's because the display is backlit with three bulbs which are renowned for blowing and tricky to replace. Makes no difference to the sound that I can hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.