Ophidian P3 Evolution, Neat Orkestra, D7.2 or alternatives?

Steve Stifler

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2015
Leatherhead
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was impressed last year hearing the Ophidian Mambo speakers, and wondered what their flagship P3 Evos might be like. I have about a £5k budget, could buy new or exdem/used. The Neat Orkestras also caught my eye. I heard the smaller Ekstras in a shop dem. They sounded sweet but playing Shelby Lynne’s Just A Little Lovin, the bass guitar was not audible to me, noticeably early on when it kicks in. I was so disappointed but on reflection wondered if the Ekstras were faulty. Not sure if a bass is below 80Hz where their isobaric xover is? It was like a hole in the sound. It improved my slightly when moved against the back wall. Wasn’t happy either as a I’d asked to pair them with a SN3 and Bluesound Node. Working the Naim remote volume control appeared to be controlling their Linn gear. Maybe it’s was their streamer only just but I felt dubious I was getting what I requested.

Anyway thought the Orkestras might be better reading Ed Shelley’s review. The Spendor D7.2s also seem good. I just fancy a change. Musical tastes are eclectic classical through to pop, hip hop, jazz electronica. Listening is done in a large open plan odd shaped area with gear in a brick build extension. Bass is most noticeable back within the main structure of the house furthest away from the listening area. I cannot change the position, only move speakers out from the back wall. Sound I am looking for, ahem, is like the orchestra or band are in the room when moderate to loud, but also minimal compression of soundstage and frequency drop off at low volume. 

So has anyone got the P3s or Orkestra or D7.2s? What did they beat to become your choice? What are their weaknesses? Please let me know what you have experienced etc.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
heard some orphidian briefly at dealers and they were impressive . Thats a very big budget for speakers . May i mention the amphion 3ls floorstanders ? the amphion range are pretty good . lovely imaging and really fill a room . lovely snap and attack  and go in any room . I have some 3s standmounts at the moment on demo and man are they singing !! they are just delightful !! 

spendor is a safe best too . well known and loved by many 

Reactions: Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2015
Leatherhead
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks hifinutt. I’d rather spend as little as possible. I do wonder if some of the less pricy brands might have some good products - Wharfdale etc. I heard the Amphion Argon 1s IIRC at the National Audio Show and I thought the mix with Hegel was one of the best sounding systems there. I enjoyed those and some cone shaped models in another room. The Kerr 320s mk III really appealed, but not the price!

I had PMC in the past but for me they are overpriced. Even some exdem Twenty5 26i at c£6700 are too rich. Plus they are black and the controller of interior decoration would baulk at colours that won’t fit the decor. Means white, oak and possibly at a pinch, walnut should work. Not sure about B&W 702 S2.

Reactions: hifinutt

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kerr have gone up massively since they were launched . B&W always worth a listen  . just do loads of demos . If I had to buy some floorstanders n9ow it would be the 3ls amphion . 

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ah thats a lovely set up. might change my mind on amphion now i have seen that . not sure how they would be close to the wall  . i would spend your 5k on better amps as they are lovely speakers . or you could go to active atc40 which is what some have done . 

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice setup.

If you are auditioning speakers you should add Harbeth C7es XD standmounts (£3,640) to the list for a listen.

I listened to lots of speakers recently up to around £5k, and for me, these were the clear standout best ones.

They sound like the instruments are there in the room with you. Wonderful speakers.

Steve Stifler

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2015
Leatherhead
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like the audition list is going to get longer! I wish Harbeth and others would introduce more modern (waf friendly) finishes. I won’t be buying cherry veneered cabinets. Had those with FB1s from 2000. At least I don’t have to rush

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like the audition list is going to get longer! I wish Harbeth and others would introduce more modern (waf friendly) finishes. I won’t be buying cherry veneered cabinets. Had those with FB1s from 2000. At least I don’t have to rush
The C7's - look at the Tamo Ash finish. Really nice. It looked the biz!

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I happen to have demo'd the Neat Orkestras and found then very dull and lacking in low end projection. Mid range was very good. The pair was driven by a Naim supernait 3 amp. Just thought top end and bottom were limited. 

I also had the Spendor's D7.2 on loan at home for 2 weeks. Very good speakers but I could not justify the price taking into account performance of speakers half the price.

The Spendor's did midrange very well, but treble is the best I've heard from any speaker. The Spendors can sound weird with some recordings. In most cases they sound smooth then in others a bit shouty. 

One thing the Spendor's got also is ease of placement. Never have to worry bout boomy bass.

I went through 9 pairs of speakers at home and 6 in the shop. I finally settle for KLH MODEL 5S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Stifler

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2015
Leatherhead
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Nativeborn thank you for your helpful feedback. Still not heard the Orkestra but I’m off to a shop demo of the D7.2 on Friday afternoon. Will give some feedback on how it goes. I know what you mean about budget, I’m not looking to pay up to or ver my budget. Hence exdem and used.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not heard the Neats you mention but did home demo the Neat Ministra speakers. One thing they did do well was bass, especially when near the wall as they are designed to be used. I didn't end up keeping them but they were very good in some areas, bass being one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.