Question Ortofon Anna cartridge vs Benz lp

A question.

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve been offered an Ortofon Anna low hours at a good price , has anyone owned one who has also owned a Benz lp or lps. What were your thoughts and is the Anna worth the extra money ?

Last edited:

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Benz Micros are excellent cartridges, but the MC Anna is something else!

The Anna does have more of a rise in treble output than most Ortofons, so shouldn’t sound too soft compared to a Benz. These tend to have a more pronounced lift in treble output so sone cartridges can initially seem a little dull sounding in direct comparison, but this shouldn’t be the case here.

I’d say go for it, depending on what turntable/arm you’re using. If it’s an RB-330 then the Anna might be a bit overkill!

Reactions: Baggawire

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Benz Micros are excellent cartridges, but the MC Anna is something else!

The Anna does have more of a rise in treble output than most Ortofons, so shouldn’t sound too soft compared to a Benz. These tend to have a more pronounced lift in treble output so sone cartridges can initially seem a little dull sounding in direct comparison, but this shouldn’t be the case here.

I’d say go for it, depending on what turntable/arm you’re using. If it’s an RB-330 then the Anna might be a bit overkill!
Sme v with chord signature cable into a Whest phono stage and Hegel amp .
I’ll probably go for it just need to sell off the Benz lp for first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beobloke

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wish I had some experience of Ortofon's but current Benz LPS user with an SME V and Allnic 1500 II plus phono and a very happy chappy .

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I took the plunge ill comment later when i've had time to install and test the Anna as to if it was a good decision or not the Benz Lp is a good cartridge but the LPs all though a similar sound is far superior and worth more than the £500 difference in my opinion. The LPs is a cartridge I regret selling and one I may end up buying again if I don't like the Anna ( which i'm sure I will given the price it has to be good )

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well it is all fitted and setup took some time , it is much quieter than the benz I have to turn the volume up another 10 per cent roughly but it is setup to my phono stage to the correct setting maybe I had it set slightly to high for the benz , sound wise it has a lot of detail the separation is better and the vocals are a lot better . Was it worth selling my old cartridge at a lose even though I got this at a good price ? YES . would it be worth spending the price difference on them both new ? No this is a fantastic cartridge but is does not sound like it cost £4500 more maybe £2k more . its early days and I have only listened to a few tracks so ill test it more tomorrow.
Having lived with it for a few weeks I preferred the Benz LPS out of all my cartridges 2nd place would be an Ortofon Winfeld different sound some would prefer the Winfeld. The Anna was not worth more than the Winfeld in my experience great cartridge if you listen to classical and jazz but not my musical taste , I need something that can rock a bit , the Anna made my vinyl sound more like digital very clinical and accurate just not involving.

Last edited:

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wish I had some experience of Ortofon's but current Benz LPS user with an SME V and Allnic 1500 II plus phono and a very happy chappy .
The Benz LPs is a fantastic cartridge very organic sounding everything sounds real takes a few hours to bed in but what a cartridge the lp is good but not as good, I found the Anna when looking at possibly getting another lps as regretted selling it. I like the Anna so far but if I ever got rid of it , it would be to get another LPS , if I were to purchase a new cartridge it would also be an LPS. I can also recommend fully the chord signature tuned tonearm cable with an sme v great combo .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.