Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Out of interest, has anyone ever heard their speakers?

I like horn speaker exotica and I'm hopefully about to be in a position where I can set up a small workshop again and I fancy a project. Although it's not my main work nowadays, I'm a cabinet maker by trade. 

I know the hardware (drivers) is probably prohibitively expensive but I like a challenge. 

Any info or advice from anyone else who has experience making horn speakers would be appreciated! 

Ta

Ps,  I've not heard them but I quite like their timber design horns. Is it style over substance? 

Last edited by a moderator:

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
if you fancy a horn project you might like to have a gander here https://www.pinterest.co.uk/eeboon2622/speakers-horn-profile/?autologin=true  and here .. 

It is an intersting "art" as there are different profiles .. then the crossover design you need to remove the "honk" that invariably comes out of a horn lol ..

I love the horn loaded tweeters in my Art Impressions but I know that it took Art some time to determine the best horn profile to use (much trial and tribulation) 

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
if you fancy a horn project you might like to have a gander here https://www.pinterest.co.uk/eeboon2622/speakers-horn-profile/?autologin=true  and here .. 

It is an intersting "art" as there are different profiles .. then the crossover design you need to remove the "honk" that invariably comes out of a horn lol ..

I love the horn loaded tweeters in my Art Impressions but I know that it took Art some time to determine the best horn profile to use (much trial and tribulation) 
That's the thing, I think they're worth the hassle as a really good horn design can sound amazing. 

It looks like I've got my work cut out for me! 

robbie010

Fervent Box-swapper & Tinkerer
Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Out of interest, has anyone ever heard their speakers?

I like horn speaker exotica and I'm hopefully about to be in a position where I can set up a small workshop again and I fancy a project. Although it's not my main work nowadays, I'm a cabinet maker by trade. 

I know the hardware (drivers) is probably prohibitively expensive but I like a challenge. 

Any info or advice from anyone else who has experience making horn speakers would be appreciated! 

Ta

Ps,  I've not heard them but I quite like their timber design horns. Is it style over substance? 
Hi Phil,

If you are interested in making a horn speaker, check out my thread in the DIY section. 

I see you are in Manchester, you would be more than welcome to pop along to Oldham and have a gander at my project If you wish. 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's the thing, I think they're worth the hassle as a really good horn design can sound amazing. 

It looks like I've got my work cut out for me! 
Well to start with you need to determine what drive units you want to use and then the horn profile you want to use - this means lots of work trying them all ... then measuring for the "honk" that you will get from every horn profile to some degree and then working out how to correct it in the crossover.   
This should keep you more than occupied for the foreseeable future ... in fact for more than the rest of my lifetime 

• Upvote
Reactions: tuga

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well to start with you need to determine what drive units you want to use and then the horn profile you want to use - this means lots of work trying them all ... then measuring for the "honk" that you will get from every horn profile to some degree and then working out how to correct it in the crossover.   
This should keep you more than occupied for the foreseeable future ... in fact for more than the rest of my lifetime 
One alternative is to buy a speaker can can be used as a starting point.

I tried that once, but improving it was getting very expensive. I only got as far as adding horn tweeters, replacing the horns and physically time-aligning the drivers on a prototype stand but then realised that the 12'' woofer would never do decent sub-bass so I gave up. Besides, having your sole speakers in a permanent work-in-progress state means that you can't really sit back and enjoy some music. And I didn't have a workshop, which meant making a mess in the sitting room then cleaning up afterwards... Never got to try better drivers.

3056732105_ea8367c16d_o.jpg

3154234852_8fe3eedf81_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: uzzy

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've a decent pair of An-Jlx speakers as my main speakers and I'm more than happy with them.

I see these horn speakers as an ever evolving project which I don't mind taking years to accomplish. 

Thanks for your advice! 

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Phil,

If you are interested in making a horn speaker, check out my thread in the DIY section. 

I see you are in Manchester, you would be more than welcome to pop along to Oldham and have a gander at my project If you wish. 
Thanks Simon, I've sent you pm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online