pass XA25

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You know when something doesn't quite seem right, even if we can't work it out yet......trust your hunches.

Last edited by a moderator:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't think there's anything wrong with the sale or the seller. I do wonder though. I very much respect NP as a designer, but not every one of his designs has been excellent. Bob noted it above, and I have seen at least two come up for sale that have only been owned a relatively short while. Quite possibly people have upgraded, but I have seen a couple of reviewers note that unusually for solid state, they seem to take a long while to come on song. Maybe people are giving up on them too soon?

aliwilson116

NoisyNeeb
New Wammer
Jul 22, 2016
Galashiels, Scotland
AKA
Ali wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah, I think you've got a point there Rabski. A lot of people seem to go from the xa25 to the 30.8. The general consensus seems to be it's just bigger and better with more heft. Having just acquired the xa25 recently on eBay, I can attest to it needing a good !.5 to 2hrs before it's really on song-but when it does...it's amazing. I personally don't feel the need to go higher as my room isn't huge and my speakers are 90+ db. And the 30.8 is a heavy beast.

The advert on the OP looks like a bargain- run in and virtually new.

My dilemma now, is that I acquired a Townshend Allegri Reference passive pre last year which doesn't match well with the xa25-it apparently needs a wee bit of gain to bring it alive.So, do I do a more or less straight swap for an xp12 or shell out a bit extra for the xp22 ???

I have this nagging suspicion that the xp12 will not be as transparent as the Townshend. But then again the xp's are well matched to the xa25....

Ho Hum,late night luxury problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hifinutt

aliwilson116

NoisyNeeb
New Wammer
Jul 22, 2016
Galashiels, Scotland
AKA
Ali wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Phil,thanks for the suggestion,unfortunately, I have no experience of Ayre products.

They're a bit thin on the ground up here in Darkest Scotland.

aliwilson116

NoisyNeeb
New Wammer
Jul 22, 2016
Galashiels, Scotland
AKA
Ali wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It does look very tempting,but I'm single-ended in my system and wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the fully balanced design-and it's pretty limited on rca inputs.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the XA25-it's the best sound I've had in my front room!

I was surprised after the Townsend didn't hack it that my old DNM 3B was only a bit better-but still not really doing it.

So,off for a rake thru some boxes and found my old Crimson 610 pre. That's at least driving the amp properly but really just giving me a window into what it's capable of.

All good fun and games.....🤪

Reactions: hifinutt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online