PC audio setup

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
CJRoss's recent anti-CDP thread:^ has me thinking if I really need a conventional separates setup to enjoy my tunes. That, and my semi-hypnosis with AVI's PR blurb for its new Amp-Pak speakers...
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

If I do experiement with this avenue, using my PC's hard drive as a music server, how do I go about it? My PC has the usual stereo line out and a digital output. Do I use the former and hook it into the AVI Amp Paks or will I get a better sound if I utilize the digital out? (Oh, and what ancillaries do I need to hook a PC's digital output to the analogue input of a power amp?)

This is still a seed idea, but bouncing around in my head a lot these days.
If I find I can get good sound using a PC-based system, I might simplify my life by doing away with a separate LCD TV, DVD deck, CD deck and play everything through my PC.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

SS

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You could hook up the PC's stereo line out to the power amps, but there are pitfalls. Fisrstly, you will be relying on the PC for volume control, and some apps seem to default to starting up at full volume!

Secondly, the quality of the digital to analogue converters (DACs) in PC sound cards is usually very low, unless you have installed a dedicated "audiophile" card.

The digital output is a better bet: you will need either an external DAC and a pre-amp or a combined DAC/preamp such as the Cyrus DAC-XP. This would then connect to your active speakers.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
solidstateman wrote:

I might simplify my life by doing away with a separate LCD TV, DVD deck, CD deck and play everything through my PC.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
SS
It's heading that way. It's only a matter of time...

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These two replies suffice to make up my mind. I will commit to conventional separates for a while longer (till end of 2007?) but will switch boats when PC audio technology improves.

Ta,

SS

IHaveNoNaim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2005
, ,
You could stream data to a squeezebox, use a USB to SPDIF convertor to avoid the PC soundcard or use a USB DAC also avoiding the PC sound card.

All of these options, it seems to me, have an increasing number of proponents and to my mind at least CD players are becoming as anachronistic as turntables.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IHaveNoNaim wrote:

You could stream data to a squeezebox, use a USB to SPDIF convertor to avoid the PC soundcard or use a USB DAC also avoiding the PC sound card.All of these options, it seems to me, have an increasing number of proponents and to my mind at least CD players are becoming as anachronistic as turntables.
Fascinating!
icon_eek.gif

If I understand correctly, I can just use one of my standard USB ports as a digital output, feeding into a USB DAC? A USB DAC. I like the sound of that!
icon_biggrin.gif
I assume it has conventional analogue outputs to feed a power amp?

Please direct/recommend me a few such models of this DAC, if possible. Ta.

Once again, I'm reconsidering my stance on becoming PCised.

SS

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
there's also the option of a decent soundcard (beyerdynamic do a surprisingly good

one for £20-odd, but you can spend as much as you want...) Or (depending on speakers you get, and if you get a sub) you could use a decent 5.1 soundcard as an active crossover - and use this for driving speakers and sub or for bi/tri-amping.

Some things can be slightly fidly, but once you've got things set-up well it's all worthwhile
smile.png

doctorjuggles

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2006
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
solidstateman wrote:

Fascinating!
icon_eek.gif
If I understand correctly, I can just use one of my standard USB ports as a digital output, feeding into a USB DAC? A USB DAC. I like the sound of that!
icon_biggrin.gif

SS
My (admittedly limited) exprience with USB DACs has been less than stellar, sounds are noticibly poorer even to a cloth-eared, uncouth chap such as I. My understanding is that only the iterations bearing the I2S technology are worthwhile, but these are expensive. They are, however, said to be bit-perfect and immune to jitter, making them the best bet out there, theoretically.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci817575,00.html

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
solidstateman wrote:

IHaveNoNaim wrote:
You could stream data to a squeezebox, use a USB to SPDIF convertor to avoid the PC soundcard or use a USB DAC also avoiding the PC sound card.All of these options, it seems to me, have an increasing number of proponents and to my mind at least CD players are becoming as anachronistic as turntables.
Fascinating!
icon_eek.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

SS
I meant to say that behringer did a good cheap soundcard - review here https://hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=5822&forum_id=7&highlight=behringer

Recommended, esp if you're just wanting to play with computer audio.

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Agreed with DoctorJoggles.

There are a number of ways to do the HD based music route at the moment. Perhaps the best, although not widely known, is the I2S route. Empirical Audio do this in the USA.

I'm waiting for I2S to become cheaper...then i'll make the switch.

Regards

Richard

A

Alex A

You'll be pissed off when it's buggy and full of viruses. A blip in the middle of your fav tune isn't very fun either.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I would deffo advise a hardware volume control!

Suddenly delivering full volume to your speakers because of some PC software issue could be an expensive mistake...
sad.png

IHaveNoNaim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2005
, ,
solidstateman wrote:

IHaveNoNaim wrote:
Fascinating!
icon_eek.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

SS
Depends how much you want to spend but there are

From the studio euqipment end of things

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minidac.php

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AudiophileUSB-main.html

Respected audio companies (IMHO of course)

http://www.belcantodesign.com/prod_eOneDAC3.html

http://www.perreaux.com/product.php?idp=52

This pile of German designed Chinese slung together junk that I have

http://www.aqvox.de/USB_2_DA_MKI_eng.html

which has the requisite number of blue LEDS for any self respecting audiofool (oh and I think it sounds pretty good too)

And if you haven't lost the will to live yet then a comprehensive list can be found here

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162717

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
solidstateman wrote:

CJRoss's recent anti-CDP thread:^ has me thinking if I really need a conventional separates setup to enjoy my tunes. That, and my semi-hypnosis with AVI's PR blurb for its new Amp-Pak speakers...
Hey Solid, It was not "anti CD", just "anti hype" that surrounds CD devices - there are plenty of options for getting lovely CD sounds from "non CD" sources though
wink.png
. FWIW I had a most enjoyable time playing around with the M-Audio 24/94 Transit USB SC. Pretty amazing to hear what a PCHD sounds like via a hifi setup.Well worth an experiment, you can get some good gear like balanced M-Audio gear for under £150 these days, very nice for a play around with.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lots of interesting leads you have provided, gentlemen.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
I have barely finished exploring these options. Still trying to wrap my head around the techno babble surrounding I2S but I'll tentatively agree that it is also what I'll go for when it becomes an affordable standard.

RE: USB DACs

Eearghh!
52_52.gif.e7819fa8e7d4f2f3fde0ccbe63a52c2a.gif
It appears the ergonomics:sick: of these newish contraptions seem to be stuck in the 1980s ho-hum stylings that plagued hifi separates then. Needs more blingy shininess...
Current manufacturers are not going to win over bling buyers like moi if they maintain these aesthetic "standards".
52_52.gif.e7819fa8e7d4f2f3fde0ccbe63a52c2a.gif

SS

drmattx

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Truro / Birmingham,
I think I should comment as I route all my audio though my PC straight into my Power amp,

As long as you careful the software volume control isn’t that bad you can get 'Media' keyboards with volume buttons on to solve that problem.

you also need a half decent sound card, I use a Terratec DMX 6fire on my pc quality is pretty good not quite as good as my old densen cd player but still pretty respectable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles