Phono stage

E

earl of sodbury

sadgit wrote:

Although the phono stage on my amp is alright is there any need to upgrade to a seperate phono stage? My amp isthe Audiolab 8000a
Before answering this question you need to ask yourself if YOU are happy with the sound as it is - if you are, leave well alone or you risk falling healdong into the Upgrading Moneypit...
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

If you're not, you'll need to post what all the partnering kit is to give those in the know a chance to make senisble recommendations.

HTHs, churz, eofs

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Sad, if your thinking of changing your phono stage, I would also be looking to upgarde the 8000A, plenty of nice amps about good phono stages : Sugden or Copland for example. Just a side issue you may consider.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say a phono upgrade would be good upgrade. Not 100% familiar with the one in the 8000a but there are some really excellent phonos out there at the moment. Depends on how much money you are looking for but the Whest I recently heard was excellent and I'm very happy with the Aria I recently purchased.

Papa did have a diablo up for sale in the Private Classifieds section and, imo, that would be a serious upgrade from the one in the 8000a.

Arfa

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2006
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just upgraded the phono stage in my amp. I had a Cambridge Audio A4 with the cheapo addon board. I'm not familiar with your Audiolab, but I'd guess it would still be better than the above. In the lower end of the market, the current favourites seem to be: Cambridge Audio 640P (Soulman's got one for sale in the classifieds), £60 new; Pro-ject Phono Box SE, £130 new or ~£70 2nd hand; Graham Slee 2, £150 new; Rotel RQ-970BX, ~£50 2nd hand; Musical Fidelity X-LPS, ~£110 2nd hand; or Creek OBH-18, £170 new. Quite how much you'll need to spend to exceed what your Audiolab does I'm not sure, some of the above may, some may not.

I picked up an older Creek OBH-8SE for £46, which is a nice improvement to my setup. One thing you should check, is if you can disable or remove the current phono stage in your Audiolab amp. Once you get a separate phono stage, you'll want the phono input on your amp to accept a line level signal and not the low level output from your turntable. I've currently having a little hassle getting the phono input on my C.A. amp back to a line level input.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
looking at your cart, sadgit, I'd say that a dedicated phonostage would probably be an improvement. something like a s/h EAR etc maybe. I've been delighted with my own World Audio Designs ECC83 based Phonostage.

there are plenty to choose from.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
The 8000A has a very good MM/MC stage. It dates from a time when manufacturers still spent some money on the phono section.

As for the 8000A itself, how good it is will depend on which version you have and you can tell this from the letters B through to F in the serial number. Versions D or later are all excellent and can compete with the better integrated amps today from the likes of Cyrus, Arcam, NAD - no problem.

penance

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Disappearing up my o
cjr wrote:

if your thinking of changing your phono stage
I agree with that idea.

I went from an 8000a to a Shearne Phase1 for minimal outlay and it was a very worthwhile change. Shearne amps aren't easy to find, but as cjr said, there are a fair few alternatives if your willing to consider second hand.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
penance wrote:

cjr wrote:
if your thinking of changing your phono stage
I agree with that idea.

I went from an 8000a to a Shearne Phase1 for minimal outlay and it was a very worthwhile change. Shearne amps aren't easy to find, but as cjr said, there are a fair few alternatives if your willing to consider second hand.
Jesus H on a bike, me and Penanace agreeing on something.
biggrin.png

FWIW I think the 8000A is a nice amp, but its one of those love hate type devices, I know of 2 guys who have went in differing directions from that old amp, and they both say they cannot believe what they hear now (one Sony ES user and another who went BAT) as I say good amp but they are plenty of alternatives to it. Either by integrated or by feeding a new phono stage to it. Personally if funds could allow it, I'd start with a whole new integrated, say a Copalnd or Sugden with onboard phono, then upgrade the stage later or at sametime. For example you can pick up TAG PP20s for £300-400 (when they come up) probably the best phono device ever to eminate from the Audiolab stable. That added to a £400 second hand integrated would be a flyer.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMO the phono stage is superior to the amp, but I have never listened to one.

I strongly suspect that as has been suggested unless you know you think you would like to spend money on more separate bits that your best VFM-probable enjoyment until you feel you wish to try other cheaper/more expensive amplification etc is to get best out of what you have (any plans for supposed upgrade in t-table-arm-cart.lid-PSU etc etcmight affect your choice.

Last good vinyl I heard was Kaiser Chiefs free give-away last Christmas to their fan-club. It IMO was equally good on expensive or cheap setup.

Some people chose to hate or love old or new Audiolab - if I had some I would choose to love it.

U

Umberto

Chumpy wrote:

IMO the phono stage is superior to the amp, but I have never listened to one.
'Ow you manage that then? You psychic or somethin?
wink.png

Magic

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 22, 2006
Camulodunum
AKA
Jules
Sadgit,

Firstly I'd agree with the Earl. If you're happy as is then don't bother to change. However although the Audiolab has a very respectable phono stage there are a couple of things to bear in mind. I don't know what speakers you have & which cable loom you are using, which would all be significant.

You are using a very good quality vinyl front end & good as the Audiolab is there is no way that the phonostage in a £500 amp is doing justice to something like £2000 worth of front end. The Kontrapunkt is a quality MC that really needs something like a EAR/Graham Slee/Lehmann/Trichord Dino as a minimum, but ideallysomething better in the sub £1k bracket.

The Rotel is an excellent budget unit that is considerably better than cheapo Project/Nad offerings & would itself be an improvement on the internal Audiolab unit. However highend coils really need quality amplification toshow their stuff. If you can't run to £100 for a 2nd hand Michell ISO/Moth RIAA then the Rotel is worth picking up for <£50, but they've been making >£70 recently & I'd take the Moth over it everyday for that much.

It's slim pickings at present I'm afraid. I just had a quick look around & there are a couple of MF X-LPs for over a ton (which aren't exactly great TBH). There area of Dinos for £200(standard) & £300(+PSU)on HififorSale. One went on eBay today with a PSU for £250 which was decent money. TBH the Delphini/Microgroove+ I have a far better value, but they might be above your budget.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you're happy with your Audiolab generally - as has been suggested - and all is working well/maintained etc, then unless you spend unnecessary amounts on turntables/arms/power-supplies/vinyl etc I am convinced that you will save money/be happier long-term with what you have.

Although I never bought Audiolab preferring 'warmer' Linn/Arcam etc sound I strongly suspect that real Audiolab (especially the proper older stuff ...) in right context/environment into speakers you like is as good as anything apart from maybe the angel Gabrielle ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.