Pre amp to replace this one

hifinutterreturns

Wammer
Apr 12, 2017
North Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMG_20230326_170713_6.jpg I am having buzzing issues from this little aiwa pre amp . I am wondering about another pre amp but must be small similar to the size of this one ideally with 2 line inputs. Not sure what to look for ,to work with this power amp . Any advice appreciated

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why not consider a passive pre they are often quite small and some have multiple inputs .

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheap as chips if possible it is for a second system
If you trawl back through the 1st 8 - 10 pages of the classifieds there's a Tisbury Passive pre for £75. If that ain't cheap enough I don't know what is.

Reactions: bigrod

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: hifinutt

psi310398

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2011
London
Before anything else, have you given it a good clean/dose of Deoxit?

Is it a P22? If so, and you like the sound, why not keep an eye out for a good P22/30/50/80 or any other from the Aiwa mini compo series?

They pop up from time to time on eBay, often as a pair with the power amp and sometimes with the tuner and/or the tape deck. There’s an SA-C80 preamp on eBay at the moment for a starting price of £100 that would match. I’d be inclined to make a cheeky offer In your shoes, OP.

I have the 30 series pair and they are respectable enough for desk/kitchen background duties.

Out of idle curiosity and because it was the only amplification easily to hand , I’ve test run a Lumin, a Matrix X Sabre, a Krell AV processor, a seventies SS Japanese kit preamp, a Quad 44 and a Lexicon Dolby processor into the Aiwa power amp with Tannoy 15” MGs at the other end.

Although they all clear up the sound, it is the power amp that is the binding factor in the combo IMO and it does not, at least to my ears, benefit enough from a better or more costly preamp to justify spending too much on pairing with it.

The other option might be to find an ifi, Beresford or SMSL preamp/DAC to sit on top of it?

hifinutterreturns

Wammer
Apr 12, 2017
North Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is your Aiwa gear half-width but full-depth, or is it small in all respects?

I was going to suggest a TEAC A-H300 integrated amp of any generation or a slightly newer A-H380 to replace both units in the pic, but it's half-width and full-depth, so might or might not fit.

Those TEAC amps are good little units.
Thanks but yeah it is only half depth too really. I did look at the Teac units but just a bit too deep unfortunately cheers

Reactions: Sotosound

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a thought, but you seem to have alot of things squeezed in on the same shelf, what are the red lights you can see to the left of the amp? It maybe worth moving stuff around, to see if that stops the buzz/hum.

Reactions: Sotosound

Faithless

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2007
South Ayrshire
AKA
Faithless
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What about a little (ish) Hafler DH-101 pre amp? I have one in a very good condition that I would let go for £120 posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.