Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
This has happened before, was listening to a record last night and the left channel just went quiet. I was busy doing stuff so just changed to Spotify / line level and it was fine out of both channels. 

I have spare valves so I guess it's a few hours of farting about changing them and reconnecting etc. Urgh 

Strange how it happened about six months ago and I think I just farted about so much it just worked again. Will try swapping channels into the phono to see if the silence swaps to the right. 

All the fun 

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Line without phono 

With phono: 

Be nice if I could work out which is the left channel without having to plug it in 8 times. 

Firebottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 13, 2020
The Black Country
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Move the MC/MM switch slightly, also put a small sideways force on it to check it is making proper contact.

Also check your interconnect plug and check for a dry joint on the socket, it's usually a mechanical problem.

• Upvote
Reactions: greybeard

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Main problem or ballache being I have four spare valves and no idea of their life, so if I do start swapping I'll just have to reconnect everything each time blehh

Will swap phono leads into the input, first 

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Was going to suggest the headshell cables are ok/ loose l say this as one of my headshell wires came loose a while back and exhibited this behaviour. :geek:

Reactions: Nopiano

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Yeah I'll make sure everything is connected and swap the inputs before taking the pre out :)

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Redid the headshell connections buy they were pretty snug. Refitted the tonearm din. I doubt either did anything but it's working in stereo with a test record now and I don't need to open anything, so woo! Christ knows

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I understand it - pre amp valves when they are on their way out, the sound looses its sparkle and they gradually fade away, reducing output until there is nothing left to give.

I have been doing some searching on this as of late at high volumes I am not so happy but cannot work out if it is my tinnitus (it gets worse at high volumes but there are times when you still need high volumes lol) or the preamp now sounding "grainy" but no research said anything about grain.  I have two new Matsushita valves to put in my SP9 so when I can pluck up the effort to undo all the connections and slide it out to remove the top to replace them it will stay as is for a little bit.

When I get around to changing the valves I will report back as to any difference in sound quality (if I remember) .. in the past though I could never tell any difference on valve change (I tried a few different makes and types over the years) and being a hybrid I guess that is not surprising ,,, or perhaps it is just me (if it is not a night and day change I just accept it).

Reactions: kernow

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Not stating the obvious have checked the cleanliness of the stylus, l mean really checked it with a Jeweller's loupe etc? :geek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online