Proac & Arcam Upgarde Possibilities

AudioBrad

New Wammer
Dec 12, 2020
Hello there 

This is my first post to what looks like an amazing group.

My set up is an Arcam Diva A85 integrated amp with a pair of Proac Studio125 speakers. Purchased in 2000 and still sounding great. I mainly play vinyl through this but also AV content (via Apple TV or BT TV Box) using an optical link. This too sound pretty good.

Having recently upgraded my turntable to a Project X2 it got me thinking about wether it is time to upgrade the Amp and/or speakers. Having done lots of research I was looking at some Monitor Silver 500 or Dali 6 speakers. However these speakers don't look as nice as the Proacs which really suit the room and sound great. So the simple questions are:

(1) Should I add a second pair of smaller Proacs or maybe get a centre speaker?

(2) Does anyone think there is a better amp to drive these speakers?

All advise and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know either your amp or speakers, but do know they have a good reputation in their own right, and produce a sound you enjoy so I would say stay put at the moment. 

You haven't mentioned what phono or cart your using with the Pro-Ject tt, if it's the standard 2M silver that comes bundled with the tt then this is where I would look for improvements. There is currently a 2M Black and Goldring 1042 in the classifieds both of which would give an excellent lift in SQ and would be worth persuing. Also please let us know what phonostage you are using as this could be another weak point to address before changing amp or speakers. 

Reactions: uzzy

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you like the sound then I would leave as is.

If something is lacking then I'd consider an upgrade. Changing the slimline style speakers will only change the sound but that much.

If you want to go full range large bass driver floor standers then we can talk 😂😂

• Upvote
Reactions: uzzy and AudioBrad

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello there 

My set up is an Arcam Diva A85 integrated amp with a pair of Proac Studio125 speakers. Purchased in 2000 and still sounding great. I mainly play vinyl through this but also AV content (via Apple TV or BT TV Box) using an optical link. This too sound pretty good.

Having recently upgraded my turntable to a Project X2 it got me thinking about wether it is time to upgrade the Amp and/or speakers. Having done lots of research I was looking at some Monitor Silver 500 or Dali 6 speakers. However these speakers don't look as nice as the Proacs which really suit the room and sound great. So the simple questions are:

Thanks
the arcam a85 is a brilliant amp , you can improve it in 2 ways . 1] add an isotek syncro which will reduce the noise floor and improve the sound . they are about 450-500 s/h 

2] you can use the a85 as a power amp with a much better pre amp. this is a very cost effective option . 

i have done both of these things , its a very good sound . 

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know either your amp or speakers, but do know they have a good reputation in their own right, and produce a sound you enjoy so I would say stay put at the moment. 

You haven't mentioned what phono or cart your using with the Pro-Ject tt, if it's the standard 2M silver that comes bundled with the tt then this is where I would look for improvements. There is currently a 2M Black and Goldring 1042 in the classifieds both of which would give an excellent lift in SQ and would be worth persuing. Also please let us know what phonostage you are using as this could be another weak point to address before changing amp or speakers. 
Absolutely spot on response - there's also a very nice phono stage tucked away in the classifieds if you want to get the maximum benefits of a cartridge upgrade:

Nothing wrong with your amp or speakers - MH

Reactions: hifinutt

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WRT the Proacs.

My 150's are about the same age. I fettled the crossovers a few years ago.

There was nothing subtle about the difference, in fact it was quite profound.

I replaced the caps - 2 were out of spec. Can't recommend it enough, I didn't buy expensive boutique caps either.

I also replaced the resistors........but shame on me for that. lol

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello there 

Thanks
A warm welcome to the Wam. Let me start by gently tuning you in to the subtleties of Wam communication:

DON'T DO IT!

My first "real" hifi system was an A85/P85 combo bi-amped into ProAc Studio 125. Lovely. On the amp front I went to A38/P38 and now have A49 which, outrageously, I'm using only as a pre into my active speakers.

On the speaker front:

• The ProAcs are IMHO already a class above the MA's and the Dali's
  • I went from Studio 125 to Studio 140 for the bigger bass, and it took me a while to realise it was the midrange where I actually engage with the music. 125's better
  • From there to the D30R: excellent but impressive bass and crisp treble not fully integrated in the midrange - the D30R demos fantastically but long term listening highlights the midrange limitations.
  • From there to the D30RS: fabulous. The beefed up mid/bass unit has a broader frequency response, allowing the crossover to be configured to let the ribbon tweeter relax into its comfort zone. These would have veen my keeper speakers if it hadn't been for...
  • ... ATC SCM40A actives. Bought for my northern man-cave as an alternative to messin' with amps and speakers and they were so good they ended what was now a 30 year love affair with ProAc. I think it's important to say however that I still sometimes miss the ProAcs!

The Studio 125's are not perfect. The midrange (vocals) is amongst the very best but the bass could be tighter. Whatever you think you're missing, take the replacement of the 125's steady, and do ensure you have the opportunity to listen to their potential replacements for a good few weeks before making a decision. I know this is hard if you're buying used, but in hifi "a change is as good as a rest" doesn't apply

Hope this helps!

AudioBrad

New Wammer
Dec 12, 2020

Thank you for the replies. Definitely helping me think about the way forward. 

To clarify a couple of points raised:

Phono stage - I bought the Cambridge Solo to go with the new turntable

Cartridge - based on overwhelming reviews I had already ordered an Ortofon 2M Bronze

I have already been looking at the ISO GAIA feet whilst trying to comprehend the serious cost of £200 per speaker...😂

Also considering upgrading speaker cable. Currently have QED Silver Anniversary. Considering Chord Shawline. Thoughts?

Cheers

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice cart choice.

For SC, I would say 4mm2 Vandame HiFi series, an inexpensive but very good cable. If you really want a name brand SC then look at used Chord Odessey2. 

No experience of gaia, but comments on here are favourable. 

• Upvote
Reactions: AudioBrad

AudioBrad

New Wammer
Dec 12, 2020
WRT the Proacs.

My 150's are about the same age. I fettled the crossovers a few years ago.

There was nothing subtle about the difference, in fact it was quite profound.

I replaced the caps - 2 were out of spec. Can't recommend it enough, I didn't buy expensive boutique caps either.

I also replaced the resistors........but shame on me for that. lol
Hi. Thanks for this. How do I even start to look at replacing the caps (capacitors I presume🤔). Is it easy?

AudioBrad

New Wammer
Dec 12, 2020
Nice cart choice.

For SC, I would say 4mm2 Vandame HiFi series, an inexpensive but very good cable. If you really want a name brand SC then look at used Chord Odessey2. 

No experience of gaia, but comments on here are favourable. 
Thanks 👍🏼

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have already been looking at the ISO GAIA feet whilst trying to comprehend the serious cost of £200 per speaker...
Although not cheap, this is itself a huge upgrade and is well worth doing.

There are various streams of people doing this, with universal praise. 

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although not cheap, this is itself a huge upgrade and is well worth doing.

There are various streams of people doing this, with universal praise. 
Is it not possible to use the Iso-Pucks instead? - they're less than half the price, and the only substantial difference seems to be the lack of threaded section at the top - the added bling of their non pro gear seems to come at a serious premium

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is it not possible to use the Iso-Pucks instead? - they're less than half the price, and the only substantial difference seems to be the lack of threaded section at the top - the added bling of their non pro gear seems to come at a serious premium
Yes, though I can’t imagine them being anywhere near as stable. 

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I dont believe so. The pucks will take max weight of 2.75kg each. I believe these are aimed for bookshelf speakers. The ProAcs the OP mentions are too heavy for pucks.

I too was sceptical and hesitant due to cost of Gaia's... until I bought them. They really are great.

• Upvote

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I dont believe so. The pucks will take max weight of 2.75kg each. I believe these are aimed for bookshelf speakers. The ProAcs the OP mentions are too heavy for pucks.

I too was sceptical and hesitant due to cost of Gaia's... until I bought them. They really are great.
In fact, ignore the above. I was thinking of mini pucks.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. Thanks for this. How do I even start to look at replacing the caps (capacitors I presume🤔). Is it easy?
Aye the capacitors. I couldn't find a crossover pic online. I imagine it would be simpler than the 150's.

Undo the back and have a look. If you can desolder/solder it's not difficult.

I appreciate that it's a slightly off-the-wall suggestion, but it was very worthwhile with my speakers.

But looking at the pics of a 140, there was a lot more to replace with mine. So, if you're capable(no insult intended) well worth a try before you look at anything else.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are now three sizes of puck: 

https://isoacoustics.com/iso-puck-series/

Apart from the lower cost than Gaia, the advantage is you can use say 5 or 6 under each speaker if necessary to get into their effective weight range. On standmounts or equipment, fine, but I’d be concerned about standing a ProAc Studio 125 or similar on these to be honest.

• Upvote

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles