Purify Eigentakt Eval 1

Music At Home

Google Bot
Wammer
Jul 31, 2011
Argyll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In part 1 of the Pearl Acoustics’ Eigentakt videos mentioned earlier, Harley begins by asking the rhetorical question … what if all amplifiers were perfect, how would we chose which one to buy?

That triggered in my mind the question “If all amplifiers were perfect they’d all sound the same … but is that something we’d actually want?” Perhaps a philosophical question for 2-Channel rather than DIY.

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Time to write some thoughts down. The device has been running in my system for well over 200 hours now. It is a compact powerhouse of an amp that like it's predecessor in my system, NC400's, provided more power than most people need. It does so with iron resolve and speakers no matter how difficult a load do precisely as they are told. Listening loud for extended periods results in no fatigue or excessive heat. No anomalous behaviour. It just amplifies with absolutely no sound signature of its own. Great recordings sound as they should. Poor recordings do so too but I find this amp can find the good even in less than stellar recordings.
This thing is no Benchmark AHB2 to look at. But it is it's equal in the accuracy stakes and twice the amp in the power stakes. All while being less than half the price of one in this, it's DIY form. Now to be clear, if someone offered me a pair of AHB2's to run as mono blocks I'd snatch their hand off. I make no secret of the fact I am that shallow. I was looking hard at them before I found the Purify modules. But I am very very happy with the outcome.
If you don't believe in burn in this is a device that will change your mind. It definitely takes a while for the bass to work. Longer than I remember my NC400's taking.
One thing left. I want to change the op amps in the buffer module. I'll need an empty house and a steady hand so it might be a while before I get around to it but I will do it and report back.
Good to read your feedback, Henry. It'll be interesting to hear you thoughts after a change of op amps.

Reactions: greybeard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online