Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2015
East Grinstead
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looking for an Amplifier to power my Spendor S6e's. My lounge is 17ft x 13ft.

I like the Quad Vena II, is 45W per channel enough power for the Spendors?

Last edited by a moderator:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looking for an Amplifier to power my Spendor S6e's. My lounge is 17ft x 13ft.

I like the Quad Vena II, is 45W per channel enough power for the Spendors?
How many do do you like to listen at? What type of music do you listen to?

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Spendors are 88db efficient and an 8ohm load .. personal view is if you like to listen at realistic levels (a full Orchestra live on a crescendo can reach 98db sound pressure level) you may on the cusp with the Quad and there is a danger of running into clipping on musical peaks.   Having said that Spendor recommend amps from 15 to 250 watts to pair with them.

The only comparison I can give you is many years ago I had a Leak Stereo 70 in a lounge diner 19 x 12 feet but the listening position was a maximum of 11 feet from the speakers.  I bought the Gale 401s (dips below 4 ohms and 84db efficient) before upgrading the amp and had this set up for nearly a year .. It sounded great (so I thought) no audible distortion and I loved it UNTIL I brought home amps to try that were delivering at least 100 watts into the Gales .. I did not play it louder but the speakers just came alive with better control and definition.

Now you have 4 db more efficient speakers with more watts so I am pretty sure it should sound great .. what you perhaps need to do to put your mind at rest is to get a fellow local wammer to pop round with their amp (if you can find someone with a decent 100 watter) and see how that sounds and if it makes a significant improvement.   If there isn't then just enjoy it as all is well with the Quad and the Spendors 

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Spendors are 88db efficient and an 8ohm load .. personal view is if you like to listen at realistic levels (a full Orchestra live on a crescendo can reach 98db sound pressure level) you may on the cusp with the Quad and there is a danger of running into clipping on musical peaks.  

Ands that why I asked my two questions as if not classical and realistic levels then there is no real problem. 

Fantasque

My world is full of spots
Wammer Plus
Jan 22, 2016
Mere, Wiltshire
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You could buy the Vena II and if you feel it’s not powerful enough use the pre-out to a separate power amp, maybe a 405 to keep it in the family, that would definitely be enough grunt to drive the Spendors.

Reactions: hifinutt

Gonepostal

Wammer
Aug 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, I've got a pair of Neat Motive sx2 speakers which are 86db and 8ohms and they sound great on the end of the original Quad Vena. You've nothing to worry about, buy it and enjoy your music. 

Reactions: hifinutt

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
Another happy Vena owner here,great little (size not power) amplifier with fantastic connectivity. 

Dibble

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2015
East Grinstead
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys. I'm into Classical, Rock and Pop so the Quad maybe a stretch. Consolidating your feedback I think Quad Vena II will be the way to go; in the unlikely event I need more power I'll find a Quad 405 II. Thanks again.

Dibble

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2015
East Grinstead
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've tried the Vena on its own, and with a Quad 405-2. As has been correctly identified, lovely sound, well balanced and excellent detail from the Vena, but the extra slam from the 405-2 makes for a much better listen. I didn't intend the Vena to be just a pre-amp; but it's great to have manifold streaming options, bluetooth, and phono at the front end, with lovely, smooth, detailed sound coming out the back to my Spendors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online