Quick get-together and curry in St Albans on Tuesday 5th April

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
Jim (JVS) is bringing my amps back on Tuesday. I have Pete (Coco) joining too, as he heard there was curry on offer, and we could fit in one or two more if there is demand. Really for some tunes and a chinwag, although we could do a couple of swaps on electronics if people fancy it.

St Albans, from about 4.30 Tuesday 5th, we'll head for a curry later, room for maybe 5 or 6 total.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd love to come if thats ok Adam?

Can bring something along.

I'd be looking to arrive whenever I finish work - most likely around 6.30pm.

Curry sounds good BTW.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Jim (JVS) is bringing my amps back on Tuesday. I have Pete (Coco) joining too, as he heard there was curry on offer, and we could fit in one or two more if there is demand. Really for some tunes and a chinwag, although we could do a couple of swaps on electronics if people fancy it.St Albans, from about 4.30 Tuesday 5th, we'll head for a curry later, room for maybe 5 or 6 total.
:^

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Room for me Adam?

Forget the Well Tempered, as it travels as well as a dead skunk, but all the electronics are available for transport if you want!

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
Cool, that's probably about a full house (there is a space reserved for Hunter gatherer)

Phil, the Young DAC would be nice to try - that's the weak point of my system, I think.

Obviously gorgeous Kondo and Jadis is quite welcome too, but I don't want to get too excited changing kit in the limited time we have.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll bring the Jadi warriors, as they don't take up much space. Kondo KSL SPc and ANz interconnects are easy to bung in the bag.

Don't care if it all stays in the boot to be honest. A Tuesday listen and curry is far more important!

JVS

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2009
Ilford, Essex
AKA
Jim
I was only gonna drop them in. Now it looks like it's going to be a great evening - nice one Adam :D

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was only gonna drop them in. Now it looks like it's going to be a great evening - nice one Adam :D
You'll cope Jim. If not, I'll eat yours :cool:

JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
If someone drops out I wouldn't mind visiting. I could probably even buy Adam and Pete the beers I owe. I doubt anyone would be intersted in any of my kit, though.

Oh yes, just remembered - the death filter. I managed to get it open and t's split into sections, and there was a residue on the inside of the lid in one of the sections, so I suspect soemthing fairly major has gone bang. Unfortunately, the whole thing is potted in epoxy, so isn't really repairable.

James

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Adam - since you're a veteran of computer audio (and i've never tried it) it would be interesting to hear the Young play via USB if we have enough time.

If you have some high-res files that'd be good too. What do you think?

You'd need to download the driver from the M2Tech site.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
Richard - Jadis most welcome. Kondo interconnects fine, but no need to bring speaker cable as the Lowthers have attached cables (AN silver at that!)

James - since you're presumably local with your folks, do come along. Shame about the death filter!

Phil - sadly I can't try the USB with the Young, as my computers are Linux and there is no driver available. I do however have some hi-res files, and IIRC the Young can happily handle those via SPDIF.

I'll send out directions etc in the next day or so

JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
James - since you're presumably local with your folks, do come along. Shame about the death filter!
Yes, I will be at home with my parents - thanks!

If anyone want a laugh then I could bring my amplifier - might need some of Coco's Kondo clip lead though, as it's got DIN speaker connectors... :dunno:

Looking forward to it.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
Might bring the M7 along.
That might be a good challenge, I quite fancy my preamp as being a 'quite close at a tenth the price' candidate. Although each time Mark has brought his, I've had to send him home with no tea...

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That should be interesting. My M7 is older than Marks and uses a different circuit. Only one tube inside - a 5687. All M7s i've heard to date seem to have a similar sonic signature though.

JVS

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2009
Ilford, Essex
AKA
Jim
Amplifier drop off - turned into a great evening Adam :^

The downstairs system was sounding mighty fine to these ears - quite a bit better than my last visit 18 months ago. We discussed this and Adam put it down squarely to the home made (nameless) pre-amp. It sounded really good in my system too when I borrowed it, substituted in for the Rowland. It did a commendable disappearing act, which is exactly what I like. It's full of top quality components apparently :love: . Yes the system was sounding really good, the grain in the treble I'd noticed last time with the Lowthers had smoothed out nicely. The bass was fast and tight with the mid open and revealing.

When Phil arrived we swapped his Young Dac instead of the Beresford. Wow, revelation time. :shock: Tighter, better resolution, imaging, tonality - you name it! We all sat there a bit gobsmacked tbh; and that was with the dac displaying the number 44, so even higher fidelity should be possible. A digital front end including this dac would be pretty formidable I feel. :^

We then tried Phil's M7 instead of the (nameless) pre. We all agreed this was slightly disappointing but couldn't work out why :dunno: . Possibly a synergy thing. Then we tried Phil's latest purchase - an Audio Innovations integrated SS amp - you know the one - with the curved top and bottom so the facia looks like an flattened eye shape. The AI did not disgrace itself, I thought it sounded ok and had plenty of power to drive the bass.

After Pete had completed the repair work (new power supply pcb inserted) on Phil's NAF 845, we hooked it up to Adam's obs in the upstairs lounge system. I liked the obs at Scalford, but only heard some fairly lightweight material for the few minutes I was in his room. Driven by the big 845s, the obs sounded brilliant - low tight bass, with a creamy smooth, but detailed mid and top. Different to the downstairs set-up, but no less pleasurable :) .

Thanks for a great evening Adam. The home brew beer was very tasty too!!! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.