Quiescent mains distribution block

tdir

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2015
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone have any experience of the above mentioned mains block, was previously sold under the Vertex name.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No but note the balanced mains option has safety implications for some equipment.
I just had a quick look online, and if the blurb is accurate and correct, then there are blocks that include a balanced (not isolating) transformer supply, but only for some outlets. That means a combination of balanced and standard outlets on the same block.

In electrical engineering terms, that comes under the heading of 'you have to be joking'. Why? Well, again assuming the description is correct, then in the same mains block you have 'neutral' lines that are (correctly) referenced to earth, some that are at a substantial voltage and 'live' lines at different voltages.

I cannot frankly believe anyone would be so blatantly stupid as to think that is a sensible idea, so I have to assume the despcription is wrong.

zeta4

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2009
Oxford, , United Kin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just had a quick look online, and if the blurb is accurate and correct, then there are blocks that include a balanced (not isolating) transformer supply, but only for some outlets. That means a combination of balanced and standard outlets on the same block.

In electrical engineering terms, that comes under the heading of 'you have to be joking'. Why? Well, again assuming the description is correct, then in the same mains block you have 'neutral' lines that are (correctly) referenced to earth, some that are at a substantial voltage and 'live' lines at different voltages.

I cannot frankly believe anyone would be so blatantly stupid as to think that is a sensible idea, so I have to assume the despcription is wrong.
Ive read it too and sadly I think your right. Very worrying. I would like to hear what the maker has
to say about the mix of sockets and the safety implications.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive read it too and sadly I think your right. Very worrying. I would like to hear what the maker has
to say about the mix of sockets.
I was hoping (and still do) that it's just badly translated or misunderstood.

If not, then the pursuit of audio nirvana has plumbed the utter depths of stupidity.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
we used to hear a great deal about vertex and then i guess the name changed and we hear very little about it . i have tried a few of their things but none stayed . i dare say some stuff does work maybe

Nigel Payne Of Quiescent

elemento-gráfico-pagina-blog
Quiescent might not be a name that trips off the tongue just yet, but bear with us; the company took the original concepts of Vertex AQ and has developed them for the 2020s. We spoke to Nigel Payne of Quiescent about the science involved, R&D, and how to extract the most from any good audio system.

AS: Quiescent means ‘tranquillity at rest.’ Was the name deliberate or a Freudian slip?
NP: When we design systems, our fundamental principle is that all components are not at rest. Each active or passive device in a circuit, whether it is a transformer or speaker driver unit, output transistors, capacitors or even microprocessors, actively adds to the musical signal. Our goal is to ensure that the system is invisible to the listener, and our decision to name ourselves Quiescent was a deliberate consequence of that design philosophy.

You are a comparatively new company. What was the motivation for starting Quiescent?
Quiescent was founded in 2017, but our roots go back to the founding of Vertex AQ almost 21 years ago. We felt that Vertex AQ had run its course and opted to form a new company that leveraged our knowledge of electronics and mechanics combined with state-of-the-art computer-aided design and manufacturing techniques. In creating Quiescent, we have established a brand recognised for technology leadership, world-class products and an innovative
approach to radically improving the audio experience.

https://quiescent.co.uk/author/quiescent-admin/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.