Racks

bonzo

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
London
Are there any good looking racks that are closed from the front (with say, glass panels) but have holes at the back to let the wires out? I am trying to figure out the best way to reduce the messy looks cause by the wires

listenup

Wammer
Wammer
May 16, 2006
nr Cambridge, ,
AKA
Bob
Years ago I had a cabinet made by a local woodworking firm.

The advantage is that you can dictate the cabinet size to fit your room and system, but it will not necessarily be the right size for your next upgrade, therefore infinitely adjustable shelf height is mandatory.

Mine was designed so the rear panel (with holes in for cables etc) could be removed and the cabinet still retained its integrity. The holes for cables and plugs were a pain to use and forced cables that should be kept reasonably separate ie. mains and signal cables, to be almost bundled together, so now the back panel has been permanently removed.

The top of the cabinet extends at the back, so its the first thing to touch the wall when pushed back into place and avoids skirting boards etc, but also leaves space for cables to mains sockets, and don't forget a cable cutout if equipment is to be located on top.

Mine has wooden doors to hide all the boxes but as my system grew the distribution blocks now sit alongside because foo cables and blocks will not fit inside!

One thing to remember - when changing amps etc it is a real pain pushing cables on the back and also trying to hold the box from the front, really difficult. However, I like shutting the doors and hiding stuff, keeping dust at bay, so although I have permission from swmbo to have an open rack, it is somethin I will avoid as long as possible.

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depending on your budget I think Hutter make some really well made cabinets that are closed , quite a range I recall, naim owners love their stuff ,but I found their racks excellent with all flavours.

go well with pucks by German company whose name eludes me.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beware of resonant panels or doors. My corner cabinet for the TV and video stuff has a wooden frame door with a glass panel, and I have to leave it ajar to stop it buzzing in the frame.

And wiring up stuff is a pain when you can't reach around the sides. But it does it's job and keeps the corner tidier.

Oh, and make sure the adjustable shelves can make small height changes. 50mm is way too coarse. How do I know? :doh: :doh:

You will have adjustable shelves, won't you?

bonzo

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
London
Thanks guys. Blok racks look the prettiest, does anyone know if they are good enough racks sonically? That said, is there a big different between racks? Glass racks look the prettiest, though it's said they can be pretty bright, but I hope I don't have another thing to demo. Hutter seems to be the next best choice

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Spectral looks pretty too, but glass? I guess they can be customized to wood. Has anyone tried them?

RichardG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
West of Cardiff, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A mate has Blok, they will build to your dimensions if you send them a sketch. It's a very good looking thing - he has a Naim CDP & Integrated on one side with Bluray player and AV amp on the other. They made a bespoke size to fit into an alcove at very reasonable price.

Recommended from an aesthetic view. Can't comment on sonic capabilities, but then I use IKEA so what would I know anyway??? :D

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All of the best in suitable accommodation for all worthwhile entities. It is possible. Sometimes one needs to adapt a non-overpriced product for one's purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.