Linn Owners

Radikal 1 > Naim Supernait3 lead

hiffle

New Wammer
Oct 11, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First post, so please be gentle.

I hope to collect my first LP12 deck c/w a Radikal 1 ps next week, and will be connecting it to the internal MM phono stage in my Naim Supernait 3. I _think_ I therefore need a 5-pin DIN > 2xRCA cable. Is this correct? And if so, does it matter whether it is a DIN > RCA lead or an RCA > DIN lead?

TIA

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Supernait 3 has both Phono and DIN input for the MM cartridge.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@hiffle I‘m really puzzled by your question. Why do you think you need a DIN-RCA lead? What will it connect to your Supernait 3? Are you talking about the arm cable, which should already be fitted to your LP12 and will plug directly into the Supernait?

’troll

hiffle

New Wammer
Oct 11, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking online there are two sockets on the Radikal
  • one 5 pin DIN male "Motor Control", which presumably goes to the LP12, and
  • one 5 pin DIN female "Phono Stage"
What is this last one for? AFAIAA, there is not a DIN input for phono on the back of the SN3.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking online there are two sockets on the Radikal
  • one 5 pin DIN male "Motor Control", which presumably goes to the LP12, and
  • one 5 pin DIN female "Phono Stage"
What is this last one for? AFAIAA, there is not a DIN input for phono on the back of the SN3.
The Radikal is a power supply, no music signal goes through it. The sockets are XLR and not DIN, the connection for “Phono Stage” is to power the Linn Urika and Urika II phono stages that can be fitted inside the turntable. You will simply connect your arm cable from the LP12 to the phono input of the SN3. Enjoy your new purchase.

’troll

hiffle

New Wammer
Oct 11, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My shiny new LP has arrived, and I am setting it up. I have grounded the deck to my Naim Supernait 3, but I see that the Radikal 1 also has a grounding post. Should I connect both posts together with another (made up) lead?

I ask because there is more "hum" when no record is playing than I had expected.

TIA
  • LP12 || Radikal 1 || Kore || Ittok || Trampolin 2 || AT750SH
  • Supernait 3
  • NDX2
  • CD5si
  • PMC twenty5.24i

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My shiny new LP has arrived, and I am setting it up. I have grounded the deck to my Naim Supernait 3, but I see that the Radikal 1 also has a grounding post. Should I connect both posts together with another (made up) lead?

I ask because there is more "hum" when no record is playing than I had expected.

TIA
  • LP12 || Radikal 1 || Kore || Ittok || Trampolin 2 || AT750SH
  • Supernait 3
  • NDX2
  • CD5si
  • PMC twenty5.24i
You could try it will only be better or worse.
I have my LP12 Urika connected to my Supernait 3 and there are no individual earth leads.
Try all options not connected then double connected.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Normally there is no need to use the grounding post on the Radikal, nor on other Linn products except phono stages. Those are there to meet some electrical safety standard. In most cases they will make things sound worse due to multiple grounds.

I would recommend making sure the ground to the preamp is solid. If you have a VOM you can check to be sure that there is continuity from the platter to the ground at the end of the arm cable. If not there is something wrong in the LP12/arm wiring. You might also want to look at positioning. Naim units have fairly large transformers which produce a magnetic field that can cause problems. This would most likely be a problem it the SuperNAIT 3 is placed next to the LP12 on the arm side. It can also be a problem if it, or another piece of gear, is right below the LP12. Just lifting up the LP12 while the volume is where you can hear the hum should let you know if it is induced by another product if the level changes.

hiffle

New Wammer
Oct 11, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks both; my "stacking order" is as follows ...
  • LP12
  • CD5si
  • NDX2
  • Supernait 3
  • Radikal 1
The thinking being to keep sources together, and to keep amp/power together. (I'm quite keen to keep the 3 Naim boxes together for aesthetic reasons).

I'll try a second earthing lead between the Supernait 3 & the Radikal 1 first - much easier than re-stacking everything!

EDITED TO ADD: Adding a secondary earth wire doesn't do anything, nor does lifting the deck up & away from the other components. Nor does it stop if I turn the Radikal off.

SECOND EDIT: If I swap the phono leads on the SN3 the hum (as opposed to a hiss) switches sides, so I am beginning to think it is an LP12 internal wiring issue - the cartridge rather than the motor &/or the Supernait 3. Will investigate further.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Kandid

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks both; my "stacking order" is as follows ...
  • LP12
  • CD5si
  • NDX2
  • Supernait 3
  • Radikal 1
The thinking being to keep sources together, and to keep amp/power together. (I'm quite keen to keep the 3 Naim boxes together for aesthetic reasons).

I'll try a second earthing lead between the Supernait 3 & the Radikal 1 first - much easier than re-stacking everything!

EDITED TO ADD: Adding a secondary earth wire doesn't do anything, nor does lifting the deck up & away from the other components. Nor does it stop if I turn the Radikal off.

SECOND EDIT: If I swap the phono leads on the SN3 the hum (as opposed to a hiss) switches sides, so I am beginning to think it is an LP12 internal wiring issue - the cartridge rather than the motor &/or the Supernait 3. Will investigate further.
Yes, it sounds like you have a problem with the wiring or the cartridge itself. If you are comfortable with it you can change the wiring in the headshell. Whichever channel hums try disconnecting the headshell leads and connecting those from the other channel. If the hum is now in the other channel it is the cartridge. If the hum stays where it was the wiring from the arm to the phono stage is the most likely culprit though in a rare case it could be in the arm. You could probably chase this down with a VOM if you have one and are comfortable using it. Check for a short on the cartridge pins with at least one of the headshell wires on the channel disconnected. Check the arm wires the same way.

Of course you really should have the dealer sort this all out for you as there are several places where the problem could occur.

pdcman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 3, 2020
I’ve had a hum from one of the channels on an Ittok in the past. A multimeter revealed nothing, with everything measuring ok. Swapped the arm and the problem disappeared.
sent the Ittok back to Johnnie for a re-wire which cured the problem!

hiffle

New Wammer
Oct 11, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had a hum from one of the channels on an Ittok in the past. A multimeter revealed nothing, with everything measuring ok. Swapped the arm and the problem disappeared.
sent the Ittok back to Johnnie for a re-wire which cured the problem!
Thanks for that - very interesting. In the interim, I dismantled my stack, moved it well away from the speakers, and just used the SN3, Radikal and LP12, and the hum from the RH channel is still there. Today I will try it with no speakers and use a pair of wired headphones, but I suspect it is neither the Radikal motor, nor the other Naim boxes, but something in the wiring in the arm/cartridge.

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought when buying the LP12 the price included it being setup by your dealer. I have owned two LP12s over the years and on both occasions, the dealer came to my home to make sure it all worked as it should.

If I were you I’d ask your dealer to sort out the problem for you. Naim equipment can exhibit a mechanical buzz, which is why I couldn’t get on with it, but there should be no hum from the speakers. There may be hiss, but that is all.

Are you using a dealer who is familiar with LP12 and Naim, if so they should definitely be happy to make sure your system works well.

hiffle

New Wammer
Oct 11, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The dealer is being absolutely fantastic, going well beyond what I would have expected, but I am just trying to sort it out myself to save him a trip. But if all else fails, I know I will be in good hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.