Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Injector wrote:

My mum used to have a 118d and said that she wished she'd got the pokier 120d. She's since bought a 320d. I prefer the 1 Series myself, similar room inside and it looks better IMO.
Picking the new car up tomorrow afternoon - looking forward to it (just watch it rain though!).

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gromit wrote:

Well...we ended up with a BMW 120d Sport.
smile.png
Made the mistake of test-driving it and fell in love with it. It's a mite 'cosy' but it'll be big enough for our needs.
ooh posh small car. Driving a BMW is a nice experience. If I could swing a 5 series out of my boss, I would give up the Mondeo.

thrunobulax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2006
derby, , United King
HiFiWigWam wrote:

Gromit wrote:
Well...we ended up with a BMW 120d Sport.
smile.png
Made the mistake of test-driving it and fell in love with it. It's a mite 'cosy' but it'll be big enough for our needs.
ooh posh small car. Driving a BMW is a nice experience. If I could swing a 5 series out of my boss, I would give up the Mondeo.
Were you surpised at how much poke a 2 litre deisel has these days ? i was for shure, having always disliked deisel in the past.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thrunobulax wrote:

Were you surpised at how much poke a 2 litre deisel has these days ? i was for shure, having always disliked deisel in the past.
We were indeed - also a pleasant surprise (compared to the VAG TDi140 motor) is how sweetly the BMW engine likes to spin up. Much smoother and with a decent amount of over-rev available ie it'll hold onto its power, for longer, in any given gear. The VW engine has a fair amount of go but it just seemed somewhat uncouth and gruff.

I'd also forgotten how nice it is to have one's front wheels purely for steering - BMW still use good old hydraulic, as opposed to electric, assistancetoo which gives the car loads of feel. Not driven anything that handles as well as this since we had our Caterham (which to be fair would run rings around it).

I'll admit the 1er isn't the roomiest car in its class although for front seat room it beat everything we tried (I'm 6'3" and don't need the driver's seat fully back). It'll be fine for us though.

gaul

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
LONDON, ,
Diesel engines have been good for quite a few years... at least in (continental) Europe
wink.png

BMW is a motorist. Produces some of the best engines, both petrol and diesel.

thrunobulax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2006
derby, , United King
Gromit wrote:

thrunobulax wrote:
We were indeed - also a pleasant surprise (compared to the VAG TDi140 motor) is how sweetly the BMW engine likes to spin up. Much smoother and with a decent amount of over-rev available ie it'll hold onto its power, for longer, in any given gear. The VW engine has a fair amount of go but it just seemed somewhat uncouth and gruff.

I'd also forgotten how nice it is to have one's front wheels purely for steering - BMW still use good old hydraulic, as opposed to electric, assistancetoo which gives the car loads of feel. Not driven anything that handles as well as this since we had our Caterham (which to be fair would run rings around it).

I'll admit the 1er isn't the roomiest car in its class although for front seat room it beat everything we tried (I'm 6'3" and don't need the driver's seat fully back). It'll be fine for us though.
:^glad you like it, once you get the hang of the geerbox/torque in a good deisel engine, its urprising how nimble they are, i had been driving a Focus which i thought was quick for a 1.6 petrol, but a pal came round in a A3 he had as a courtasy car, and i had a go, i was down the Audi showroom next day,(s/h) and if i can behave in it, get 500 miles a tank, and if i dont can leave maxed up twats behind, it has an ability to run on past the specified top end if you drift off.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thrunobulax wrote:

:^glad you like it, once you get the hang of the geerbox/torque in a good deisel engine, its urprising how nimble they are, i had been driving a Focus which i thought was quick for a 1.6 petrol, but a pal came round in a A3 he had as a courtasy car, and i had a go, i was down the Audi showroom next day,(s/h) and if i can behave in it, get 500 miles a tank, and if i dont can leave maxed up twats behind, it has an ability to run on past the specified top end if you drift off.
Agreed.
smile.png

Having had our Citroen C5 (2.2HDi estate) for the last 5 years I'm a total convert when it comes to diesels. Giving folk a lift in the Citroen they end up commenting, after an hour or so...'didn't realise this was a diesel - it's just so quiet'.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
I would never buy another petrol engined car, modern diesels are superb. I hear that after Audi's success at Le Mans last year, tha 4 teams are entering diesels this year. Says it all really.
crazy_pilot.gif.c313d97f4d9ddf9c49c568cf60659106.gif

thrunobulax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2006
derby, , United King
johnniebaby wrote:

I would never buy another petrol engined car, modern diesels are superb. I hear that after Audi's success at Le Mans last year, tha 4 teams are entering diesels this year. Says it all really.
I sat at traffic lights today staring at a bill board of the new R8 and got horned from behind for day dreaming when the lights had changed and i was still dreaming, i wonder if it will have a deisel option.

I dont often hanker after things i cant afford, but i think i`m in love:shock:

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
thrunobulax wrote:

johnniebaby wrote:
I sat at traffic lights today staring at a bill board of the new R8 and got horned from behind for day dreaming when the lights had changed and i was still dreaming, i wonder if it will have a deisel option.

I dont often hanker after things i cant afford, but i think i`m in love:shock:
Apparently the R8 will be abl to be hd with a 500+BHP V10 and possibly a 350BHP diesel in the future, so stop dreaming and start saving, BTW all the UK's allocation of 250 cars have been sold for this year.

G

i have driven over 500,000 miles in petrol and diesel vehicles.

turbo diesels are crap at mpg. non turbo are only just better than petrol engines at mpg. you need to to many many miles a year to make a non turbo diesel engine pay for itself.

had diisel berlingo in england and have petrol berlingo here and the mpg is around 20 miles per tank better for the diesel. the hdi diesel is worse than a petrol engine and thats a fact boys after driving in and out of london for 25 years.

it's like hifi the diesel engine mpg is a load of bollocks imho;). my friend used to tell me his new vivaro diesel gave him 50 mpg. well i borrowed it one day and got around 28mpg. he still wouldn't have it though.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
rudolph hucker wrote:

it's like hifi the diesel engine mpg is a load of bollocks imho;). my friend used to tell me his new vivaro diesel gave him 50 mpg. well i borrowed it one day and got around 28mpg. he still wouldn't have it though.
Could just be the way you drive
biggrin.png

Remember, even Jeremy Clarkson did London to Edinburgh RETURN on one tank of fuel in an Audi A8 diesel!

The secret is pretending you've got an egg under your right foot and you mustn't break it, and leave it to roll in gear as much as possible - it uses no fuel that way!

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
rudolph hucker wrote:

i have driven over 500,000 miles in petrol and diesel vehicles.turbo diesels are crap at mpg. non turbo are only just better than petrol engines at mpg. you need to to many many miles a year to make a non turbo diesel engine pay for itself.

had diisel berlingo in england and have petrol berlingo here and the mpg is around 20 miles per tank better for the diesel. the hdi diesel is worse than a petrol engine and thats a fact boys after driving in and out of london for 25 years.

You are talking Bo**oc*s again rudy.
wink.png

We have had diesels for years and the extra mpg is esay to obtain by using your brain.

G

Mr Cat wrote:

rudolph hucker wrote:
i have driven over 500,000 miles in petrol and diesel vehicles.turbo diesels are crap at mpg. non turbo are only just better than petrol engines at mpg. you need to to many many miles a year to make a non turbo diesel engine pay for itself.

have you thought that maybe it 'cos you're a sh*t driver..?
i never go over 60mph and drive like a nun everywhere. diesel mpg is a myth. hired a turbo diesel vectra in london and it was aweful at mpg. same as the mondeo had a diesel one of those on hire.

the only vehicle i have had that has ever been good at mpg was the citroen ax 1,0i that was fantastic. lightweight with a small engine is the only way to get good mpg.

500,000 miles boys in probably every diesel van you could imagine. had a midi non turbo and that was quite good. it blew up at 250,000 miles and the company got me a turbo version. had to fill it up twice a week were as the non turbo managed just once a week...that died and they got me a hyundai turbo disel van, that thing only just managed 20mpg it was aweful.

i am ruthless with getting good mpg coz i'm a tight bastard.. and most of whats printed is bullshit...........

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hmm, our pool car runabout (1.9 turbodiesel Laguna) is bad at everything except fuel consumption, regularly returning 48 mpg on the Wigan run...not bad for a car that size. My petrol Jag only gets 24 mpg on the same run.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
OK, well I'll have to agree.

I don't ever go faster than 45mph in my Land Rover series 3 diesel, and despite taking it seriously easy in it I rarely get better than 22mpg.

Diesels are bleedin rubbish, especially non-turbo ones! If I had the latest TDi engine in there I might get over 25mpg, and be able to at least exceed the national speed limit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.