Record cleaning machines

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
My circa 1990 moth RCM is coming to the end of it's life,the motor is making some funny noises and starting to smell when it gets a bit warm.

I spoke toMoth some years ago with reference to changing the motor to the bi-directional type but was told it is not compatible and the motor used in mine is obsolete.

Has anyone got any "hands on" of the new generation of cleaners and is there one that can do both sides at the same time,or should I just get another moth ??

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have much of a comment about RCMs unfortunately (sorry!). However, I am seriously considering dipping my toes in the water this year so I too would be very interested in hearing others views.

Top of my list is the new Clearaudio Smart Matrix. £450 and apparently "silent", the vacuum cleaner noise levels always put me off RCMs previously....

Fancy Record Cleaning Machine Here

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a KAB cleaner, which is the one from the US you plug your vacuum cleaner in to, based on the Nitty Gritty ones. Does a decent job and as long as your vacuum works no need to worry about the motor, in fact it's so cheap with the weak dollar, you could treat yourself to £40 vacuum cleaner just for it
biggrin.png

However I have to say I do like the look of the Clearaudio player that Shakey mentions, but you can't go wrong with a VPI. I know Emma Royd uses one so may be drop him a PM on his thoughts regarding that RCM.

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The VPI has also been an object of desire, heard many great things about 'em. In fact, GJO, a fella who I buy a lot of records from uses a VPI. He used to own a Moth but much prefers the VPI.

Thanks for the tip-off Griffo!
smile.png

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
griffo104 wrote:

However I have to say I do like the look of the Clearaudio player that Shakey mentions, but you can't go wrong with a VPI. I know Emma Royd uses one so may be drop him a PM on his thoughts regarding that RCM.
At less than £500 for both the vpi 16.5 and the clearaudio smart matrix, we sell both, and keep the vpi in the backroom for our own use, if it was my money, i'd have the clearaudio.

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's what I have been doing with a good deal of success! However, there was one record I have in particular that no matter how many times I hand cleaned it the stylus still picked up dirt. It caused me problems when I got my new cart and it wasn't until the record was cleaned in a machine that all was right with the world.....admittedly it is a luxury that I have for a long time weighed up against being a large step towards a TT upgrade.

Paul, meant to say, may I ask your professional opinion as to why you'd chose the Clearaudio, just for interest's sake. Of course if you don't want to publicly appear to criticise either manufacturer that you stock I'd understand!
smile.png

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Shakey wrote:

Paul, meant to say, may I ask your professional opinion as to why you'd chose the Clearaudio, just for interest's sake. Of course if you don't want to publicly appear to criticise either manufacturer that you stock I'd understand!
smile.png
Both are just as effective at cleaning, the clearaudio is however better finished, and can rotate both ways, the VPI has a very small record clamp too, and is nosier, though not as noisy as the Okki Nokki, as you go up the range of each manuf. it's not that simple though, my comments only pertain to the entry models from both manufacturers. As you go up the price range you are paying for features rather than better cleaning, like auto fluid application and double sided cleaning, they all pretty much clean very well, and the cleaning is more down to fluid you use, be careful of fluid like the l'art du son, only purchase in small quantities unless you use it loads, as this stuff can and does go off (mould usually)

Rocky have you tried an RCM, someone like you with lots of vinyl, really should try one, they are fantastic, and good ones start at £225 (okki nokki, which we don't sell BTW, but having been demmed "sid and cokes" I'd reccomend it for those who don't want to invest twice as much in one of the more expensive ones) may I suggest that might be a good place to spend your recorder funds, and keep saving for a new cart?

P

purplepleaser

Hello

I have recently ordered an Okki Nokki (hoping it arrives soon and working:upgrade:)

I decided to purchase a RCM due to my record collection expanding rapidly. I am also thinking of spending over £500 on a new cartridge.

Sid and Coke cleaned a Sade record that had a few clicks and pops with his Okki and when i played it when i got back home it was just perfect.

I decided that £225 was a good price for the cleaning it did, plus i can spend the extra on vinyl that i saved not buying a VPI or Clear Audio.

It may be noiser than the others but remember it cleans your records not plays them.

Also you can annoy SHMBO better whilst she is watching Boreanation Street

Lee

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Funnily enough , I cleaned in the region of 60 Lp's today , some new some 2nd hand buys , using KAB EV 1 and a 1400watt hoover , noisy as fuck but well worth it IMO.

The sound difference even from a brand new album has got to be heard to be believed.:DNice new poly-lined inners are used after cleaning and 400gm poly outers. www.covers33.co.uk

Another sesh on Friday as I reckon I still have approx 150 to do , coz I'm a lazy fucker who waits till they build up rather than clean them when I have a handful.
knobhead.gif.1aeed4448a75af39cdfcbc1c618d08b5.gif

Rocky , you will get better results with a wet and vacuum cleaner , I used a Knosti and the amount of residue left for the stylus to scrape out is quite frightening.

You are more than welcome to borrow the KAB , I'll even throw in some IPA/Distilled water cleaning fluid , all you need is a cylinder hoover with a reasonably long hose.

chezi

vinylsearch

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
xanadu, , United Kin
For what it's worth.. and slightly off the original thread topic

I've had a nitty gritty for 6/7 years and it's been the best £300 quid I ever spent as a vinyl upgrade..

IMHO fo a vinyl based system,forget all this nonce about interconnects/ audiophool hi fi racks, and go and buy a wet/vacuum cleaner...:minikiev:

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone tried fitting a brush to a VAC wet and dry hoover and doing it manually?

Being a cheep skate I just wanted to know.

Isn't there anyway of replacing the motor with an alternative or getting it rebuilt?

Uzzy

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
chezi61 wrote:

Funnily enough , I cleaned in the region of 60 Lp's today , some new some 2nd hand buys , using KAB EV 1 and a 1400watt hoover , noisy as fuck but well worth it IMO.
This is exactly what I use and it does a cracking job and with the dollar almost at 2 to 1 it's a bargain.

Also once you've cleaned your records make sure you put them back in a nice fresh new anti-static inner sleave. I use the Goldring Exstatic - I used to use the Nagoaka ones but I find the Goldring ones stronger due to it being a whole new sleeve.

I have to say I do like the look of that Clearaudio one, but the price of the KAB is just too good - and it only took a week to get over from the US @ $38 postage.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
I have been using a KAB-EV1 for some months now and find it extremely effective. The only issues for me are the PIA of setting up, and the noise. But I have a cunning plan:dunno: in my flat the airing cupboard is next to the kitchen, and I plan to buy a Tesco cylinder vac £20, remove the sucky bits and mount them(in a home made cabinet of some sort)in the airing cupboard and using 30mm waste pipe, run a duct thru the wall to terminate in a kitchen unit. This will mean I just open the cupboard door put the rubber tube of the KAB onto waste pipe, switch the vac on, hopefully with a remote switch in the same cupboard, and voila. Should give a convenient and quiet cleaning experience.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
I have been using a KAB-EV1 for some months now and find it extremely effective. The only issues for me are the PIA of setting up, and the noise. But I have a cunning plan,
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif
in my flat the airing cupboard is next to the kitchen, and I plan to buy a Tesco cylinder vac £20, remove the sucky bits and mount them(in a home made cabinet of some sort)in the airing cupboard and using 30mm waste pipe, run a duct thru the wall to terminate in a kitchen unit. This will mean I just open the cupboard door put the rubber tube of the KAB onto waste pipe, switch the vac on, hopefully with a remote switch in the same cupboard, and voila. Should give a convenient and quiet cleaning experience.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.