Rega turntable motor - is the 24v one worth the dough?

Threebobrocket

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 9, 2015
North of the border
AKA
Hamish
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all, having had a bit of a run on charity shop vinyl buying yesterday i came home to find my Rega Planar 3, bought at least 2nd hand off the wam some time back, running at 30rpm or less - not good.

As usual cash strapped, so I am weighing up 2 options. Should I buy a second handheld motor which may be 30 years old for £30 , or should I buy the new 24v model which is being sold as an upgrade? I have heard that the 24v model can be noisy, and that has been an issue with the current motor, which i think has probably had a wonky bearing for some time, hence the noise and speed issues.

Thoughts?

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 All of the best with suitable resolution - I tried a lifetime-warranty Rega Planar 3 in 1988 for a few months between LP12s, and am sure that you can achieve vinyl analogue satisfaction from their usage.

Being a human and not an expert, I advise cultivating local expert warrantying servicing shop etc.

M

MJ.

Evening all, having had a bit of a run on charity shop vinyl buying yesterday i came home to find my Rega Planar 3, bought at least 2nd hand off the wam some time back, running at 30rpm or less - not good.

As usual cash strapped, so I am weighing up 2 options. Should I buy a second handheld motor which may be 30 years old for £30 , or should I buy the new 24v model which is being sold as an upgrade? I have heard that the 24v model can be noisy, and that has been an issue with the current motor, which i think has probably had a wonky bearing for some time, hence the noise and speed issues.

Thoughts?
Sure it's not a belt issue ?

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I recently owned both a original Rega Planar 3 with the RB200 arm and a Rega Planar 3 with a RB300 which also had the DC motor upgrade fitted by a authorised dealer. The DC motor RB300 arm one was easily the better TT.

However the DC motor version didn’t have a ground wire fitted (not sure if this is normal or not) and while it was great with MM carts I think as a result it was very noisy with a MC cartridge.

I would suggest selling the Planar and trying a different TT for £200-£300 you should be able to pick up decent Thorens TD160 with a SME 3009 arm (if you are patient) I prefer mine by some margin over either of the Regas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Threebobrocket

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 9, 2015
North of the border
AKA
Hamish
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've replaced all the belts and have used manufacturer supplied lubricant. As for sound, when it was working I was quite happy with it . I think I'll stump up the cash and go for the upgrade. I put a brand new rb202 arm on it a couple of months ago, so with the new motor I've replaced all the big stuff and would like to get a few years out of it. I'm not big on box swapping to be fair and I am pretty brand loyal . Plus I'd only get about £150 for it , having spent all the cash.   

further

New Wammer
Nov 8, 2016
Somerset
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

Did you do the upgrade and how did it sound ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online