Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Isn't this just another way of saying that "new music" just isn't as good as classic stuff?

tbh when I first saw it I thought "who he?"
It sounds like a bit of an excuse - the current generation aren't favouring the likes of Queen and Abba over Billy Eilish or Mabel etc.

They need to find a way to maximise their income and success (if streaming wasn't a big enough shop window), in the days of the charts proper people used to go round buying piles of their own records; this would be the catalyst to getting up the charts and getting more airtime and more sales. There must be a modern equivalent, perhaps pimping their music out to popular TV shows and adverts? The music industry needs to find an ingenious way to get round issues, just as they have for decades before - Blur Vs Oasis anyone? That didn't happen by chance.

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's a question of visibility. Before streaming we bought the product once and played that media multiple times at home. None of those plays would be visible to the world in general. With a large proportion of the populace preferring to use a streaming service for those multiple plays, then each play is visible to the outside world. By basing the charts on the number of plays then we are no longer comparing like with like.

If they really wanted to compare, then they should only use first plays from a customer for a chart basis. One could also argue that payments to artists could be made on the same basis, given that nobody paid an artist more for an LP that got played 100 times over one that got played once or twice. I'm not saying I agree with that though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.