Question SACD and 24kt gold cds

A question.

Trevor Lloyd

Wammer
Oct 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no doubt this has been debated to death, but I have a few 24kt Gold cds and they sound fantastic I don’t mind admitting, probably the best listening experience given my setup. I see now that they have stopped making them and are just producing SACDs instead, given my Roksan Caspian CD player does not play SACD ( only if they are SACD/CD ) is there any point in searching out any more in the sense that I would be paying for a format I can‘t use ?

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never heard of 24k Gold CDs are they better because of the material used, or are they better masters of the albums?

Do you mean should you buy SACDs if you haven't got an SACD player? Unless you think they'll go up in value what's the point?

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The gold CD’s tend to be master recordings.. a bit like XRCD which will play on std CD players
You can buy an SACD player second hand for not much money ..shop around and you can get them for less than £100
I have a Sony sacd/dvd player that I picked up for £20

Attachments

• A7D3BF75-6077-46BF-932E-6CAE830BB329.jpeg
    A7D3BF75-6077-46BF-932E-6CAE830BB329.jpeg
    597.8 KB · Views: 9

Trevor Lloyd

Wammer
Oct 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's the mastering you're enjoying, not the gold. That's just marketing sprinkles.
Well I’m not so sure about that of all the remasters I have the 24kt Gold series sound the best I’m going to dig out and old CD player I think I have in the attic which plays SACD’s from memory and try them against the same cd in my Roksan ( which doesn’t play SACDs ) and see if I can tell the difference, certainly not interested in them going up in value just in their sound. Any recommendations for well remastered cd would be appreciated

Pezski

New Wammer
Nov 14, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of the current 'audiophile' SACD releases are from Mobile Fidelity and are hybrid releases, so will play on standard CD players. As mentioned before, it's the quality of the mastering, making the most of the original production, that makes the difference.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I’m not so sure about that of all the remasters I have the 24kt Gold series sound the best I’m going to dig out and old CD player I think I have in the attic which plays SACD’s from memory and try them against the same cd in my Roksan ( which doesn’t play SACDs ) and see if I can tell the difference, certainly not interested in them going up in value just in their sound. Any recommendations for well remastered cd would be appreciated
Still confused, you don't have any SACDs yet from what I understand, so all you're going to be testing is if the same CD sounds better from one CD player (that can play SACDs) to another (that can't). So you're testing which machine sounds better on CD playback? How could that help you decide whether to buy SACDs?

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Bazzer is the guy to answer this he collects all the variations of CD I think👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.