Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thinking of trying a prettier streamer, rendere, whatever bloody name they go under currently. I don't think it will sound any better, as the touch seems to make a good job of collecting all 0's and 1's in the right order. It needs to look halfway decent, but most importantly have a interface available on windows, and android that works, or work with LMS as a DNLA server, so that the various LMS interfaces can be used. It also needs to be priced in line with computer kit, not rip off boutique prices, 'cos the small form factor pc is a possibility as well. Something like the asus vivomini.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SB Touch.

Sorry :)
this - the only places I replaced my SB Touch were in the Kitchen and Bedroom where for space constraints, I went with All-in-one systems, which included streaming - in the kitchen, a Naim Unitiqute and bedroom and Marantz MCR 601.  If I hadn't done that then the touches would still be in use.  If you didn't want the display you could use something like a Pi to build into a box, that just sat behind the system and used a tablet/phone as a remote.  I quite like having the display with the album art though.

misterpete

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2007
N Yorks
AKA
Have a guess!
Yes Colin, have to agree. If you want to stick with the LMS interface, keep the Touch. If it ain't broke.........

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can I just stick my head up out of the trench, light up a cigarette and wave across no mans land in a cheery English manner and say "you can do better if you are prepared to abandon the notion that it is just 1's and 0's". If you are wed to vinyl and CD as your primary sources then stick with it as it is only for background music and radio. If you want to look at maybe making it a primary source (possibly at the expense of CD) then see what can be done with what you might be prepared to spend on a CD player or transport and DAC. 

On a more practical note, SBT's are getting long in the tooth now, they are not really serviceable and it is an increasing struggle to keep their functionality up to that of more modern Linux kernels run on more powerful hardware. There is a case to make a successor or, as some are doing, make LMS functionality part of modern products. However, when someone produces a £600 product the size of a pack of 20, it does go against the ethos of the original Slim Devices branded product.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Go on let me stand out of the trench, with a bulls-eye on my shirt. 

There are three other guys I know who did not convert to the Touch as they did not like what it sounded like. The older SBs were kept by 2 guys as they found it gave a much better sound quality even though the software was worse. They did not like the Touch's flat and bright sound. Not through the DAC but through the digital output. I went for the Auralic Aries (and hear the mini Aries is very similar sounding). I use an i-pad to control it but it can be controlled by the LInn windows software as it is an u-PnP device.

hermano

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 1, 2013
Go on let me stand out of the trench, with a bulls-eye on my shirt. 

There are three other guys I know who did not convert to the Touch as they did not like what it sounded like. The older SBs were kept by 2 guys as they found it gave a much better sound quality even though the software was worse. They did not like the Touch's flat and bright sound. Not through the DAC but through the digital output. I went for the Auralic Aries (and hear the mini Aries is very similar sounding). I use an i-pad to control it but it can be controlled by the LInn windows software as it is an u-PnP device.
But I believe the Auralic gear requires Apple products (Ipad/Phone) to set it up? With no support for Windows or Android in the setting up process. Once set up, it can be 'controlled' by other systems (but not as well or supported by Auralic). In real terms if you are not in the 'Apple family' then Auralic aries mini is not for you.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But I believe the Auralic gear requires Apple products (Ipad/Phone) to set it up? With no support for Windows or Android in the setting up process. Once set up, it can be 'controlled' by other systems (but not as well or supported by Auralic). In real terms if you are not in the 'Apple family' then Auralic aries mini is not for you.
True but you can use the remote to do the set up. Not as elegant but it can still be done. They say they are working on an app for Windows but it is not available yet and has been promised for some time.  

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To respond to some of the points, if it does not play with windows, or at a push android  I don't want to know thanks. We have a windows server, desktops, and a few windows laptops kicking about, it plays with them or does not come through the door. I really am not interested in changing the sound I get from my CD player, buy getting a transport/dac. The touch is getting long in the tooth, so thought a few hundred quid on a similar piece of kit would be a decent idea. I have looked at some of the boutique brand streamers, and honestly find the prices disgusting. It is a bit of computer kit , in a posh box,  and sorry, but digital music is 0 and 1, otherwise it would not work, it is file transfer. Music in digital format does not contain extra special bits, over and above images, spread sheets and document. If the most cost effective way of replacing the touch turns out to be a mini pc, and remote desktop,  then that is what I will do. 

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To respond to some of the points, if it does not play with windows, or at a push android  I don't want to know thanks. We have a windows server, desktops, and a few windows laptops kicking about, it plays with them or does not come through the door. I really am not interested in changing the sound I get from my CD player, buy getting a transport/dac. The touch is getting long in the tooth, so thought a few hundred quid on a similar piece of kit would be a decent idea. I have looked at some of the boutique brand streamers, and honestly find the prices disgusting. It is a bit of computer kit , in a posh box,  and sorry, but digital music is 0 and 1, otherwise it would not work, it is file transfer. Music in digital format does not contain extra special bits, over and above images, spread sheets and document. If the most cost effective way of replacing the touch turns out to be a mini pc, and remote desktop,  then that is what I will do. 
I really fail to understand why you want to replace the Touch. It seems to do everything you want, in a decent looking small package. What I would do, and indeed am doing, is keeping my Touch until either it fails, or I need a function it won't do, which in the years I've had it, I haven't yet found.

If my Touch failed any time soon,  I would most probably just buy another one, hopefully NOS, or failing that decent condition second hand. I've yet to find anything at any price that would suit me better than the Touch.

S

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am thinking of changing the touch because at some point, probably sooner rather than later, it will fail. My classic did just that a few months ago. As it was used in the office, i just stuck a spdif cable between a pc and dac, installed squeeze play and use that.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Buy yourself a mini PC and use Remote Desktop. Look at the Celeron or multiple core Atom offerings. I use a device called a PiPO 9X. The present offering is a 10X I think. They are Windows 10 based and the 9X/10X nomenclature indicates the size of the integrated touch screen. Most importantly they have 4GB of Ram and 64GB of embedded disk space so no additional outlay for the device and the price isn't impacted by the provision of Windows 10 because it is free to OEM's for the screen sizes involved. It isn't quite as plug and play as your SBT was, but if you are happy to manage Windows 10 as part of a music streamer it is the best 'post SBT' solution that has passed through my hands and will set you back a lot less than the original SBT RRP.

PS, the 10X has a battery so can be run without the rather poor SMPS they come with and while they do have a fan (at least the 9X does) it is easy to disconnect with no ill effects. Keep your SBT for a while and compare them if you do buy one. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles