Linn Owners

Sizmik Sub - What's that noise?

Mr2102

Wammer
Sep 20, 2019
So, I went downstairs yesterday moring to find a noise coming from the Sizmik.

I'm not sure how best to describe it, maybe a constant, variable humming/buzzing.

Here's a video which should allow you to hear the sound and make things clearer:

I haven't altered anything in my system recently.

I have a Klimax Renew DSM/1 -> sizmik -> twin -> akubariks (passive), I don't usually play it at much above 50 so I don't think it would have been damaged through use.

I would be interested if the video gives anyone a clue as to the issue, or even any ideas on what to look into or if repair could be posisble.

Thanks in advance! :)

Reactions: akamatsu

peter@57m

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2015
Surrey, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds like mains hum. If you unplug the inputs does it stop.

If it does, then the issue is upstream of the Sizmik. Try switching off other components to see which stops the hum. Could you have moved a mains cable over an interconnect?

If the hum continues when the input is disconnected then it’s likely service time for the Sizmik

Mr2102

Wammer
Sep 20, 2019
Here’s a video of mine. I did have it repaired. It’s been working flawlessly ever since.
Thanks, and wow that sounds worse than mine!

Do you know what the issue was and what was done to repair?

I guess I'm probably going to be looking for somebody who can fix it here in the UK if anyone has any recommendations?

Alister M

Wammer
Apr 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's not mains hum it's motorboating - i.e oscillating. Time for a trip to the repairers. I think the sizmik uses a chip as the output device so that is probably ok and more likely to be a few of the caps in the the power supply have gone faulty. Especially if its a Switch Mode one. Not really a DIY repair unless you know what you are doing.

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably worth doing now if you want to keep it. Not Linn's best product reliably wise and they do have a tendency that when a fault occurs it is followed by the next phase, which is overheating and the smell of smoke. when it gets to that stage its probably not economical to repair.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, and wow that sounds worse than mine!

Do you know what the issue was and what was done to repair?

I guess I'm probably going to be looking for somebody who can fix it here in the UK if anyone has any recommendations?
It sure does sound worse than yours.

I had bought the Sizmik second hand online. It arrived in that condition, and the video was made to inform the seller. We sorted everything out so nicely that I ended up also buying an Akurate Kontrol from him.

I took it to a local repair shop in Vancouver. The amp board was rebuilt. Like I said, it works flawlessly now. The repair technician said that the amp board is subject to heat and vibration, and ultimately failure. He got the schematic from Linn via the dealer which made the repair possible.

A technician with the schematic diagram should be able to repair yours with no problem.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's not mains hum it's motorboating - i.e oscillating. Time for a trip to the repairers. I think the sizmik uses a chip as the output device so that is probably ok and more likely to be a few of the caps in the the power supply have gone faulty. Especially if its a Switch Mode one. Not really a DIY repair unless you know what you are doing.
I think motorboating is an apt description. Mine was so extreme I could almost feel the salt spray in my face. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online