Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reluctantly selling my wonderful Martin Logan SL3 hybrid ESL speakers.

They have been easily the longest serving part of my system seeing off floorstanders from Proac, PMC, ART, Zingali etc.

Once you’ve heard good ESL speakers like these you won’t go back to tweeters and woofers!

Only reason for sale is my current ESL 63 infatuation listening to acoustic and vocals.

The SL3 is a much better all rounder tbh, sound great across all genres.

Condition is very good, nice oak side bars on front.

Martin Logan logos at bottom scuffed, but otherwise in great condition.

No issues or degradation of esl panel (kept clean in dedicated dry, smoke free / low dust room and only used 4 hours per week max.

Anyhoo, looking for £1000 and/or open to part ex. for good high powered tube amp that match the 63’s.

Located in Bathgate, central scotland, demos welcome for the seriously interested.

Potentially could deliver / meet for fuel cost within 100 miles

1DBAAEC2-C278-4AB8-BAF7-1BA8C7CF7ACF.jpeg

98E5C78A-37C8-40B3-9E1B-B9C9764EB366.jpeg

9ACA0A1D-1260-4C67-AAA3-EEF2A4C62B9F.jpeg

CCFCC6B9-A661-48C7-83FC-CE696947AD54.jpeg

C05569FC-073C-4505-AE35-D6D65C6FD752.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reluctantly selling my wonderful Martin Logan SL3 hybrid ESL speakers.

They have been easily the longest serving part of my system seeing off floorstanders from Proac, PMC, ART, Zingali etc.

Once you’ve heard good ESL speakers like these you won’t go back to tweeters and woofers!

Only reason for sale is my current ESL 63 infatuation listening to acoustic and vocals.

The SL3 is a much better all rounder tbh, sound great across all genres.

Condition is very good, nice oak side bars on front.

Martin Logan logos at bottom scuffed, but otherwise in great condition.

No issues or degradation of esl panel (kept clean in dedicated dry, smoke free / low dust room and only used 4 hours per week max.

Anyhoo, looking for £1000 and/or open to part ex. for good high powered tube amp that match the 63’s.

Located in Bathgate, central scotland, demos welcome for the seriously interested.

Potentially could deliver / meet for fuel cost within 100 miles

wa.png

ch.png

dk.png

fi.png

be.png
Hi Alan,

Great choice with the '63's. I'm using EAR 509 100w valve monoblocs with my '63's and they're a brilliant match. Tim, who owned EAR and designed the amps,  actually used '63's when developing the amps. 

I use Gradient SW63 dipole, open baffle woofers beneath the '63's, which were designed by Gradient specifically to go with the '63's and what you do is to use the active x-over supplied with them to send 110hz and above to the '63's and everything below 110hz to the Gradients via a second amplifier (a second pair of EAR 509's in my case) I did some experimenting with crossovers and am now using a Minidsp 2x4HD to carry out the duties which works brilliantly. The other thing I'm currently playing with is to go straight from the USB on my Squeezebox touch into the USB in on the Minidsp. Early listening impressions have been very, very good indeed. 

I'm actually considering selling one pair of the monoblocs and using a cheaper transistor or mosfet amp (I have been using an old mosfet receiver while the EAR's were away for servicing) for the Gradient bass duties as I think it's probably overkill to use EAR's just for this purpose, especially given the fact that Nos PL509 or PL519 valves used in the amps are now very scarce and have really increased in price. I thought ahead and have recently bought many matched quads of the valves out of my savings from Watford Valves, to last many years.

If I do end up selling a pair of my monoblocs (which have all just been serviced by EAR) I will give a prospective buyer the option of purchasing a supply of these matched quads of valves with them. EAR have a large stock, apparently are charging £90 per valve, I wouldn't charge any more than £70 each for them. Each monobloc uses 2, so 4 are needed. I shan't insist on a buyer purchasing valves from me as I can sell them later but I wanted to make sure either myself or a buyer wouldnt end up paying extortionate prices down the line or even worse, end up with 2 expensive doorstops if supplies of the valve runs out.

I'm curretly running my amps in following their service and then I can properly assess whether or not to let one pair of the monoblocs go. 

It's a shame you live such a way away as you could have had a listen once the lockdown has eased off. I think you'd be impressed.

Reactions: macvisual

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online