SOLD: Music First Audio Baby Reference with rare remote option £2750 or close offers

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now definitely for sale, having equivocated! And that's no reflection on its stunning performance, believe me.

If you're reading this then you don't need me to point you to these reviews:

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/music-first-audio-baby-reference-preamplifier/

https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-first-audio-baby-reference-passive-preamplifier

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/music-first-audio-baby-reference-pre-amplifier-passive-preamplifier

I waited for ages to find a Classic V2 or Baby Ref with remote control and it does everything I expected: absolute transparency being the most obvious attribute. It's a real cracker. Stomped all over a couple of tube pre's, and we're not talking merely analytical detail here (no-one who enjoys that could possibly be disappointed); we're talking music, impact, grip. Quite extraordinary.

The remote option added £1,000 onto the £6,000 retail price :eek: . This 2013 unit was bought from Jonathan himself a year ago (though not by me) and got a clean bill of health. It has 3 balanced XLR inputs and 3 unbalanced RCA inputs, and one pair each balanced and unbalanced outputs. It comes with spare brass controls, 4 XLR blanking plugs and a pair of XLR-RCA adaptors.

See updated pics.

PM me if you are genuinely interested please.

Divisionbell.jpg IMG_6539.jpg

MFA Baby Ref 2.jpg

MFA Baby Ref 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lee M and hifinutt

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow , fab pre amp ....i did actually pay 1k for a remote to be fitted to a mfa some years back !! . Very rare and won't hang about long  

Reactions: TheFlash

s1h1

Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
[No message]

Zen Monkey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2015
Welsh Mountains
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd love a remote on my Baby Ref V2 but £1000?  That's hard to swallow. I wonder how much the additional parts cost Jonathan? But expensive remotes aside, they're incredible amps. I've had a few MFAs over the years (Classic copper,Classic Silver, several Baby Refs and currently a Baby Ref V2) and they've all been fab. I do on occasion miss the musicality (or added distortion) of well designed active pre amps but in terms of clarity and detail the MFAs are leagues apart. 

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd love a remote on my Baby Ref V2 but £1000?  That's hard to swallow. I wonder how much the additional parts cost Jonathan? But expensive remotes aside, they're incredible amps. I've had a few MFAs over the years (Classic copper,Classic Silver, several Baby Refs and currently a Baby Ref V2) and they've all been fab. I do on occasion miss the musicality (or added distortion) of well designed active pre amps but in terms of clarity and detail the MFAs are leagues apart. 
Re remote, the parts probably cost peanuts but the engineeering might be a challenge, all to do with ensuring the remote motor electronics are kept well away from any impact on the playback path.

Your last point is exactly my puzzle, supposedly for the long weekend but my power amp PSU is getting mardy...

I bought this having heard Nick's MFA Classic V2 and having owned a V1 myself a while ago. The V2 sounded excellent into the Mactone, hence the Baby Ref (though I haven't compared it bck to back with the silver-wound V2). I have here on demo a couple of tube pre's and it will be interesting to see how the clariy vs <whatever> sound both immediately and over days of more natural, settled listening. It will take a lot to beat the incumbent Baby Ref but you never know.

Will post in the forum when experiment up and running.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
it is expensive but worth it , its 500 quid to specify a remote on the new Tron atlantic pre 

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you, sir!

I'm just frustrated I can't crack on with my planned pre shoot-out yet, which would allow me to confirm by say mid-week whether the Baby Ref stays or a tube pre displaces it. Will of course update the ad if tubes win, or withdraw it if not.
many years ago we put the baby ref against my ref 5 . beautiful amps 

these were CD`s thoughts who has better ears than me !! 

Okay my thoughts on the newest Music First preamplifier.

Yesterday in Phil's system we had the pleasure of listening and comparing three rather good preamps.

1. Music First Audio 'Baby Reference' - rrp c £6k

2. Music First Audio Mk II - rrp £5k

3. Audio Research Ref 5 - rrp £10.5k

We used a selection of tracks to try out as each of the preamps were inserted into the set up: Kraftwerk, Supertramp, Katie Melua, Trentemoller, Can Atilla, Led Zep had repeat plays.

I'll kick things off with my observations and I'm sure Phil will add his.

The 'Baby Reference' had been playing for a few hours by the time I arrived. It's the preamp I've been crying out for Music First to release - a Reference stripped of the additional outputs and the motorised remote. Appearance wise it looks like a slightly bigger Classic, with a coloured front panel with the same switches as the other models in the family. It has the Reference coils with less attenuation steps on the dial, and the +6dB switch now removed.

The sound is quite unmistakeable Music First - zero noise, crystal clear. The soundstage is well defined and easy to locate instruments - precise but not etched. It's unbelievably transparent. The most obvious thing that strikes you is the extra headroom at top and bottom end. As a result instruments and voices have more depth and solidity, there's more weight to the images so it sounds more real and convincing.

Jonathan popped back to collect the amp and so we had a chance to chat about its construction and get the lid off to see where he had used damping materials on the inside of the casework. There was some chat about the MFA MC step up which I'll be auditioning once I get my power amp back.

Next up, the Music First MkII I had brought for comparison. Mixed opinions on the differences. To me it was clear that I was hearing the benefits of listening to a well run in unit - the Reference was produced less than 2 days ago. As a result I thought that the MkII sounded a bit more even across the mid range, a touch more depth and the soundstage more spread out between the speakers. What was obvious was that the Reference had the edge on overall bandwidth, and that little extra weight of image.

Finally came the Audio Research Ref 5. It didn't take long at all to appreciate the vastly different presentation. The unit warmed up in about 10-15 mins and was fully on song. The most obvious feature - massive projection of vocals. Music flows from the Ref 5, very effortless and easy to enjoy. The soundstage is big and three dimensional and extends beyond the speakers. Its not as precise as the MFA preamps but it does make instruments sound 'right'.

They're all extremely good amps, just very different. A summary description which doesn't do them justice but may help to define the contrast, is that the MFA's sound is vivid and quite 'hifi' - with transparency, zero noise and incredible detail. The Ref 5 on the other hand just sounds 'analogue' and very easy to listen to.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
many years ago we put the baby ref against my ref 5 . beautiful amps 

these were CD`s thoughts who has better ears than me !! 

Okay my thoughts on the newest Music First preamplifier.

Yesterday in Phil's system we had the pleasure of listening and comparing three rather good preamps.

1. Music First Audio 'Baby Reference' - rrp c £6k

2. Music First Audio Mk II - rrp £5k

3. Audio Research Ref 5 - rrp £10.5k

We used a selection of tracks to try out as each of the preamps were inserted into the set up: Kraftwerk, Supertramp, Katie Melua, Trentemoller, Can Atilla, Led Zep had repeat plays.

I'll kick things off with my observations and I'm sure Phil will add his.

The 'Baby Reference' had been playing for a few hours by the time I arrived. It's the preamp I've been crying out for Music First to release - a Reference stripped of the additional outputs and the motorised remote. Appearance wise it looks like a slightly bigger Classic, with a coloured front panel with the same switches as the other models in the family. It has the Reference coils with less attenuation steps on the dial, and the +6dB switch now removed.

The sound is quite unmistakeable Music First - zero noise, crystal clear. The soundstage is well defined and easy to locate instruments - precise but not etched. It's unbelievably transparent. The most obvious thing that strikes you is the extra headroom at top and bottom end. As a result instruments and voices have more depth and solidity, there's more weight to the images so it sounds more real and convincing.

Jonathan popped back to collect the amp and so we had a chance to chat about its construction and get the lid off to see where he had used damping materials on the inside of the casework. There was some chat about the MFA MC step up which I'll be auditioning once I get my power amp back.

Next up, the Music First MkII I had brought for comparison. Mixed opinions on the differences. To me it was clear that I was hearing the benefits of listening to a well run in unit - the Reference was produced less than 2 days ago. As a result I thought that the MkII sounded a bit more even across the mid range, a touch more depth and the soundstage more spread out between the speakers. What was obvious was that the Reference had the edge on overall bandwidth, and that little extra weight of image.

Finally came the Audio Research Ref 5. It didn't take long at all to appreciate the vastly different presentation. The unit warmed up in about 10-15 mins and was fully on song. The most obvious feature - massive projection of vocals. Music flows from the Ref 5, very effortless and easy to enjoy. The soundstage is big and three dimensional and extends beyond the speakers. Its not as precise as the MFA preamps but it does make instruments sound 'right'.

They're all extremely good amps, just very different. A summary description which doesn't do them justice but may help to define the contrast, is that the MFA's sound is vivid and quite 'hifi' - with transparency, zero noise and incredible detail. The Ref 5 on the other hand just sounds 'analogue' and very easy to listen to.

Thanks Phil. You can see why I'm itching to do a similar comparison, can't you! Two different flavours of excellent. Can't wait.

Reactions: hifinutt

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What’s the problem Flash ?

was looking forward to reading your findings 
Still investigating. Don't want to derail my own advert!

Border Patrol PSU has blown a couple of HT (2.5A) fuses now. Journey to Kendal and back may have upset something but it doesn't want to play. Structured investigation in play. Rectifier valves test ok (thanks Nick @Fourlegs), new ones ordered but unlikely to arrive before Tue/Wed. Happy to continue the discussion elsewhere but in reality I think I should focus on trying to identify and fix the problem rather than a running commentary on the process (no offence!). Will update later - somewhere else.

All the best,

Nigel

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still investigating. Don't want to derail my own advert!

Border Patrol PSU has blown a couple of HT (2.5A) fuses now. Journey to Kendal and back may have upset something but it doesn't want to play. Structured investigation in play. Rectifier valves test ok (thanks Nick @Fourlegs), new ones ordered but unlikely to arrive before Tue/Wed. Happy to continue the discussion elsewhere but in reality I think I should focus on trying to identify and fix the problem rather than a running commentary on the process (no offence!). Will update later - somewhere else.

All the best,

Nigel
I would try and keep to the original spec Mullard rectifying valve in the BP when replacing. I tried a well regarded alternative in mine (forget which) but the sound was a flat as a pancake in conjunction with my amp.

Mondie

Lackey
Wammer
Jul 26, 2008
Llandudno (ex Oz)
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This listing has turned into a discussion so I may as well ask what pre are you putting the MFA up against Nigel?

I have used a Bent NOH TVC for 15 years (precursor to the MFA products using silver S&B transformers and yes with remote and lots of other desirable preamp features). I bought an ARC Ref 40 a few years ago and found that the Bent lost out pretty badly to my surprise, I was expecting it to be much closer. The Bent had bettered everything I tried  over the years to that point. I still cant bring myself to sell the Bent it and still use it, but the ARC moved the game on quite a lot. It is a 2 box design and on the other end of the complexity continuum to a TVC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online