Soncoz - SGD1 DAC

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure if anyone else has seen this and perhaps many are groaning over yet another DAC thread but I found this to be very intersting . Soncoz has been started by the original designer of the Tone Board which gained very good reviews and support . This was very much a DIY DAC board with main use with Raspberry Pi as a DAC addition.

The new company has moved away from the DIY and instead is making proper well finished items . Still using ESaber chip sets . Thing is that the all singing all dancing top unit as noted above can be had in the UK for around £450 which in the scheme of things is not that much . For those that are interested have a look at the site and the product page and take a few minutes to look at the Audio Science link thread. Now I have never been a great measurements man and have heard too many musical pieces of equipment that do not measure that well to use this as a main criteria to buy .

However if you read the inital measurement thread this unit does exceptionally well in all reas except one . Then if you look in the bottom left hand corner at the linked threads there is one that is by the designer to cure the ESS hump . Give that a good read through , firstly it is such a real eye opener to read from a designer his open thinking and work on how to solve this issue and what he was doing . It is also surprising that as this is a Chip fault then what he has published will enable any other designer using these chips to also solve the issue in their designs. He then goes on to say he recalled all uints that were not fixed by this and had them upgraded . All current production units have been changed and now use the new capcitors and resistance values he changed so they now read across all the tests as faultless.

Given what i have read and ignoring the really high test figures I would love to hear one of these units more because I have respect and trust for for the designer and his openess and willingness to listen and change . I hope that someone in the UK takes this product on and lets it be easily purchased in the UK . In the mean time Auiophonics in France sell the both units and while we are still in the EU we can order them without import duty or VAT . If the top unit is still too expensive there is a cut down version at around £210 .

www.soncoz.com

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-with-volume/soncoz-la-qxd1-dac-balanced-es9038q2m-32-bit-768khz-dsd512-xmos-black-p-14529.html?search_query=SONCOZ&fast_search=fs

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just been reading about this elsewhere. There is also the Sabaj D5 Hi-Res Audio Digital which is very similar and gets good ratings on that site also, can be had for £340 used. Here is a review: https://www.******************.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-sabaj-d5-dac-amp.8337/

I thought the Soncoz had got rid of the hump? seems to have made it worse: https://www.******************.com/forum/index.php?threads/soncoz-sgd1-audio-dac-review.10295/

Seems the Soncoz has been modified to get rid of the hump now.

Last edited by a moderator:

MGTOW

MGTOW
Wammer
Feb 4, 2019
Poole, Dorset
AKA
Dave Wiley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been checking out the cheaper La qxd1version.

Lots of internet chatter about both models, mostly of the 'techy' variety and almost all very positive indeed.

The sgd1 version is about twice the price, more advanced and flexible usb input capability and other features such as Bluetooth. Big difference appears to be the use of two ES9038Q2M chips in the sgd1 and just the one in the qxd1 model.

Pricing of the qxd1 looks very competitive but since you can't, at this point in time, actually buy one, that remains somewhat moot. Note that no psu is included, so assuming a Ifi smps at a minimum, you will need to add £50+ to the price of the unit, whatever that is.

firefuocco

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2011
Cornwall
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The SGD1 is £385 plus delivery.  A reasonably modest cost for what it does i think.  Sound wise I find it hard to discuss DACs and the differences between them.  It sounds good to me and certainly as good as the Mojo I was using previously, although I haven't AB'd them yet as that gets confusing.  I'm just enjoying what the SGD1 does for now without any comparison.

firefuocco

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2011
Cornwall
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BTW:  it has a Coax Digital Output that is always on that outputs up to 24/192, DSD64, so can convert other types of digital input into coaxial.  Not sure I would use that.  Would love some other suggestions as to how I might use it.

Reactions: newlash09

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles