Sony LBT-D359 Volume Issues - Help Please

jamo266

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 5, 2013
Hi all

Sorry if this isn't the site for this but I've looked everywhere and can't find anywhere that can help.

I have a Sony LBT-D359 (Fairly vintage) amp which is experiencing an annoying issue. At the very minimum volume setting the left channel is over powering the right channel quite a lot and when you turn it up a bit more it levels out a little better but it's still louder than the right channel. The amp has a L/R balance which I'm using at the moment although this brings the sound level down and then each channel just sounds alittle.. numb? not as punchy as usual.. which is annoying.

Here is the amp in question:

1.JPG

Here you can see the balance, this is where i have to set it to get the levels the same on each channel (sorry about the picture quality) as you can see its way off:

2.JPG

And for those interested. some pictures of my entire setup...

4.JPG

3.JPG

Anyway, can anyone advise me on what to do in order to bring the levels back to normal on each channel? Left seems perfect but right is definitely quieter... Does it need a service? I've already replaced 2 of the T5AL 5 amp slow blow fuses inside the unit but is there anything else i can do?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Jason

struth

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2013
W Lothian
AKA
Grant
could be a few things tbh.....you could try swapping the speaker around in case it has something to do with them...once that has been tried, then maybe it is the input not being balanced properly so you could try a different input or source..if all is still the same then it is likely to be the amplifier itself....most likely is a problem with input levels though.

G

If it's dependant on the position of the volume control I'd suspect the volume control potentiometer. A squirt of deoxit or switch cleaner might be all it needs if it doesn't have a sealed case.

jamo266

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 5, 2013
Ok, this is wierd!

I tried what Struth mentioned, firstly I tried swapping over the input to my mobile phone and the units CD player which isn't usually attached... no change..

So I tried swapping over the speakers on each channel so right went on left and left went on right so they were on the wrong sides... it works perfectly and the levels are spot on..!? I did try swapping them back but no, if they are in the correct ports the levels are wrong.

what the hell is that? The cables for the speakers are new and good quality thick stuff...? How strange... for now i have swapped over the inputs and speakers so the stereo is the right way. Very odd though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.