Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who has one, who uses one, what do you have to supplement your 2 channel hifi?

Have got a £100 JBL which works better than TV speakers, but it has a glitch - will go silent on quiet bits when watching a film with volume turned up. Rather annoying.

Am thinking about getting a Sonos Beam Gen 2 at £450, as don't want or need a sub woofer and AV stand is 90cm wide (so longer bars won't fit).

And I don't want to have the amps on all the time, generally I turn them on over the weekend.

listenup

Wammer
Wammer
May 16, 2006
nr Cambridge, ,
AKA
Bob
I wanted a Sonos sound bar, but was told in the shop that it would not work using my existing TV/ set-top-box remote and would need an app. either on a smart phone or tablet. For users other than me it would have been difficult to control, but this may have been wrong information.

I had a Bose sound bar in its place and although it performs ok I feel it would have been better to use an amp and some small speakers instead. I should have stuck to stereo sound. There are times when listening to drama or serials when the surround sound is too much for the dialogue. Perhaps that is the issue with your JBL? Perhaps it is not adjusted to receive what would normally be the centre channel and on the 'quiet bits' the bar is not sending dialogue at the correct volume?

Reactions: eddie-baby

triumph

daytona600
Wammer
Nov 18, 2016
Up North
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
TDG Skybar L/C/R not cheap In-wall but once painted invisible. Excellent WAF 

Use 3 of them for  7.1 system , also works in ceiling &  add single or dual in wall subs for up to 9.1.6  fifteen  channels 

Conventional soundbar Klipsch have several ,  the 1200 is mad as a box of frogs  total overkill 1200watts Horn soundbar

Klipsch has taken a Howitzer to a knife fight, and the result is pure, unadulterated entertainment.

Complete 7.1 Skybar™ System | TDG Audio

Cinema 1200 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos Sound Bar and Surround Sound… | Klipsch

232 609585_4355691144469619_1200164691914685578_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Bodgit

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who has one, who uses one, what do you have to supplement your 2 channel hifi?
In answer to the last part - a subwoofer. Which although you said you didn't 'need' one I would suggest really is an important element to consider for movies. Although this will be dependent on the type of movies and experience that interests you. 

(I've never owned a soundbar and very happily use my main speakers for TV and movie audio.)

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wanted a Sonos sound bar, but was told in the shop that it would not work using my existing TV/ set-top-box remote and would need an app. either on a smart phone or tablet. For users other than me it would have been difficult to control, but this may have been wrong information.
The Sonos has to be set up initially with their app, on a phone or iPad etc.

In the Sonos app settings page, you can get it to “learn” to work using your tv remote to control volume. Whether this also works for set top box remotes, I’m not 100% sure but I would guess it would, & I’m sure you could google the answer.

Sonos stuff is great for tv sound. Not ultimately as good as an AV Amp & 5.1/7.1 speakers etc, but easily good enough for most needs & definitely one of the best soundbar systems going.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yamaha YAS109 for duties . Good enough for what I want as slim tv's have well compromised speakers but in not way even in surround mode is it ever a cinematic experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles