Speaker upgrade

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not in a rush to upgrade them at present, but would like a few suggestions to bear in mind when its time.

Room is a typical uk town house front room, 12 X 12 ish, music is mainly rock/indie old and new with the occasional acoustic album thrown in. Budget would be about 1k at a guess with preference towards a floor stander, rest of kit is in my profile.

any suggestions on what to try? I'm happy with the Neats and could quite happily keep them if said suggestions dont impress, would need to be a big jump for me to want to fork out.

cheers muchly.

A

A.N.

if you want to buy s/h, then you could get the audio physic spark for that, or the yara, brilliant speakers which will trounce your neats. superb imaging and 'staging and a mid to die for.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never regreted selling a pair of speakers as much as when I sold you those Neats.

Keep them is my advice.

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HiFiWigWam wrote:

Never regreted selling a pair of speakers as much as when I sold you those Neats. Keep them is my advice.
Blimey, were'nt the elites worth the upgrade then? I'm not upgrading for the sake of it, I'm of the opinion that speakers make the biggest difference to the sound, if I can find a pair that totally blitz the Neats in EVERY department within budget then I'll go for it, if not I will stick, no bafoonery going on here
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

Cheers AN, I'll add them to the list
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

A

A.N.

matt, i must admit, when i had my logans i was really satisfied with them, had everything i ever expected of a speaker, and heard a lot against them. si (PAG)had some AP'S and they were superb, made me sell my ML's. they have electrostatic type transparency, superb imaging and 'staging and they disappear more than the logans, and the mid trounces the logans. the sound is not as big, but is more detailed. the only caveat, and its a small 'un, is that they arnt mega deep in the bass, but the sound is very very clean and the mid more than makes up for that! and i've yet to hear music to sound more real than these range of speakers. they use top notch crossovers, wbt terminals throughout the range too, and are superbly built. very waf freindly too :)

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Matt J wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
Never regreted selling a pair of speakers as much as when I sold you those Neats. Keep them is my advice.
Blimey, were'nt the elites worth the upgrade then? I'm not upgrading for the sake of it, I'm of the opinion that speakers make the biggest difference to the sound, if I can find a pair that totally blitz the Neats in EVERY department within budget then I'll go for it, if not I will stick, no bafoonery going on here
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

Cheers AN, I'll add them to the list
The Elites were mildly better than the Mystiques in the bass department. In other areas they were equal at best.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A.N. wrote:

(PAG)had some AP'S and they were superb, made me sell my ML's ............ the sound is very very clean
IME you really need to audition the Audio Physics. Some folks (like me) find them way too "clean" - antiseptic might be a better term.

I know of one poor soul who "upgraded" to APs from a pair of Rega speakers, and really regretted it.
sad.png
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif

But many people, like A.N., really like them.:note:
Fair enough.

YMMV - so get a decent, extended dem to see if they are for you.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
JANDL100 wrote:

A.N. wrote:
(PAG)had some AP'S and they were superb, made me sell my ML's ............ the sound is very very clean
IME you really need to audition the Audio Physics.  Some folks (like me) find them way too "clean" - antiseptic might be a better term.

I know of one poor soul who "upgraded" to APs from a pair of Rega speakers, and really regretted it.
sad.png
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif

But many people, like A.N., really like them. :note:
      Fair enough.

YMMV - so get a decent, extended dem to see if they are for you.

We sell AP speakers, and i would agree with this, defo need an extended dem, not for evryone, but those that like em......

A

A.N.

like anything, should always have kit on an extended dem, although you will know instantly if you like something or not. (ap's need shed loads of running in time to sound as they should, imo, more so than many other speeks) worth it though :)

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am glad you are loving the AP's A.N. 'cos you ain't getting the Logans back!

One of the best 'impulse' buys I have ever made!
biggrin.png

A

A.N.

tel, i love the ap's, and i did love the ml's too, a cracking speaker, v glad i owned them. one thing tho as a bonus to you, if you decide to move to another pair of ml's (summits for example,) you wont lose a penny selling yours. imo, the second best ml they made for music.

made up your enjoying them. :)

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
Hi Matt,

I 'downgraded' from my Neat Mystique 2s a few months ago, to the Revolver R33 stand-mounters. Although technically its a downgrade, the sound I am getting now is far better than ever. The Revolvers have bags more bass (believe it or not), they are much more lively and fun, a LOT faster, and a real bargain.

I would seriously try Mr Wippys revolvers. You could try them, and probably sell on without a loss if you dont get on with them.

HTH

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Matt J wrote:

Not in a rush to upgrade them at present, but would like a few suggestions to bear in mind when its time.Room is a typical uk town house front room, 12 X 12 ish, music is mainly rock/indie old and new with the occasional acoustic album thrown in. Budget would be about 1k at a guess with preference towards a floor stander, rest of kit is in my profile.

any suggestions on what to try? I'm happy with the Neats and could quite happily keep them if said suggestions dont impress, would need to be a big jump for me to want to fork out.

cheers muchly.
With a smallish room such as this it is probably a mistake to go for big floor standers as to give bass they need to move air so the performance will be impeded by the room size.

I would audition small footprint loudspeakers and monitors for a room your size and would include the Art Stilleto, Expression Monitor with the bass bin (like mini Impressions) or the Emotion Monitor.

If you are looking second hand then the world is your oyster and you need to listen to lots to get an idea what are the characteristics you like.

Unless there is only you and very little furniture in the room I would not look at electrostatics as they need free air all around them to give of their best so will take up a lot of room (need to be at least 3 feet from the back wall and preferable at least a couple of feet away from the side walls.

Go listen and if possible make sure you try what you buy at home first. It is quite a leveller when you realise the big boxes that had such a deep bass in the large dem room suddenly seem bass shy in a small room and the small speaker that was half the price sounds so much better.

Have fun

Uzzy

White Pheasant

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
Norfolk fields
AKA
Michael
Loudspeakers are bothvery system and veryroom dependant. The same speaker can sound fantastic in one person's setup and yet pants in someone else's. So a good, unrushed home demo is a must.

I'm always interested inhearing different speakers in my own system.After trying out several different pairs (including a fewmore expensive ones), I've yet to find anything to beat the Neat Mystique 2sfor all round ability... in my setup.

I'll keep trying however - in fact I've just bought a pair of these for my next attempt:

ce7b_1.JPG

Acoustic Energy AE520. Around 8 years old (£1k new), they got a good review by HFC at the time so it will beinteresting to hear how they compare with theNeats.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know that some of the above are well over your budget - but listen to them and you may decide to hold off upgrading for a while and increase the budget or you may fall over a second hand bargain.

Uzzy

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would seriously try Mr Wippys revolvers. You could try them, and probably sell on without a loss if you dont get on with them.HTH
Sorry but this has bugged me for ages, what does HTH mean?

auralflea

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 12, 2006
Black Country
AKA
Kevin
TIU wrote:

I would seriously try Mr Wippys revolvers. You could try them, and probably sell on without a loss if you dont get on with them.HTH
Sorry but this has bugged me for ages, what does HTH mean?
"Hope that helps", I would suggest.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by Boxer (lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.