Step-Up-Transformers

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Having recently upgraded my cartridge (from a Transfiguration Spirit 3 to a Transfiguration Temper V) I started to look into the possible advantages of adding a step-up-transformer (SUT) to my EAR 834P phonostage. I had never considered an SUT before and always thought that a good phonostage was all anyone ever needed. My interest was piqued by a thread that Rabski started a few months back when he added an SUT between his Tranfiguration cartridge and EAR 834P phonostage:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?57186-SUTs

The more I read on the subject the more I became convinced so I managed to secure a home loan of a Silvercore 1-to-10 SUT from Deco Audio (great service from Peter). Then today I went over to Rabski's and brought back his SUT (many thanks Richard) to try in my system and compare with the Silvercore. I have now spent several hours swapping them over and have come to some conclusions:

The Silvercore 1-to-10 is a German made SUT and retails at £450. It is housed in a lovely stainless steel box (Peter at Deco says stainless steel was chosen as it is non-ferrous which has much better screening properties than aluminium or copper which helps keep it quiet). As it's name implies it has a 10 to 1 step up ratio. Upon installing it between my cartridge and phonostage there was a very obvious and immediate increase in clarity and a greater ease and flow to sound. Bass was firmer and faster and to be honest I was suprised just how big an improvement it brought. :) If Rabski hadn't been kind enough to offer me a loan of his unit I would certainly have been very happy to purchase a Silvercore.

This morning I took Nick (myrman) over to Rabski's (on the way I tried to convince Nick that he needed an SUT:p). Rabski made his SUT himself using high quality Japanese transformers made by Hashimoto (HM-3). The transformers alone cost about £500-600 to get to the UK, and he then wired it up with high quality AudioNote cable. I guess if this were a commercial design it would retail at about £1250-1500, so 3 times the price of the Silvercore.

He demonstrated to us the difference in his sytem of having his SUT in place or not - the difference was absolutley massive :shock: Having heard the full set-up first, the removal of the SUT just made the sound collapse into a hole - in comparison it was flat, lifeless and bland.

Back to my system, and installing Rabski's SUT just gave me a bit more of everything compared to the Silvercore:D It didn't embarrass the Silvercore at all, but, as expected, the sense of air and space was even greater, it had more delicacy and poise, better seperation and increased detail. Rabski's SUT has a 20 to 1 ratio which in theory should suit my cartridge a little better as well.

I'm now going to have to think long and hard about how to move forward. Silvercore make a much higher spec (and much higher priced) SUT which Peter at Deco has said I may be able to borrow when they get some stock in a few weeks. Alternativley I will have to source some Hashimoto transformers and see if I can get something made up with the help of some highly skilled wammers (I already have some offers of help which I am extremely grateful for:^). In the meantime I will have to go back to connecting my cartridge directly to the MC input of my EAR phonostage:(

If this whole episode has told me one thing it's that if you have a 'high-end' low ouptut moving coil, then no matter how good your phonostage, you aren't getting the best out of it if you don't use a high quality SUT. :^

Heres a piece of prose explaining why an SUT is way better than just using a phonostage:

Why Use a Transformer?

I’m aware that my Whest Audio PS.30R phono preamp is capable of taking low output MC cartridges directly, and has flexible loading and gain controls for just this purpose. However, the whole reason for the existence of step-up transformers, and their apparent complexity due to yet another device introduced into the replay chain, is that they sound so incredibly vivid and dynamic when compared with active MC inputs. They also don’t generate much additional noise due to a lack of any active components. I believe that impedance matching is the key; furthermore, a transformer is able to utilise the whole energy output of the cartridge, which is generates high current at very low voltage into a higher voltage signal suitable for a standard phono stage. A phono preamp’s MC stage throws away the cartridge’s current generation (with the notable exception of the Dynavector’s P-75 phono enhancer mode) and starts from a tiny voltage. It is this whole energy preservation in a SUT, something top end MC cartridges have in abundance, that creates such excitement and dynamic prowess in their music making and sets high end vinyl playback aside from any other source.

U

User211

http://www.choiraudio.com/Hashi sut.htm

Hashimoto HM-7s for about £1000 in a box. Import & shipping on top. Pretty tempted. Not sure I'll go for it, though, cos it is new. Then again... :)

Rabski's are HM-3 I believe? I wonder if there's much diff, but I believe HM-7 is one up.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
http://www.choiraudio.com/Hashi sut.htmHashimoto HM-7s for about £1000. Import & shipping on top. Pretty tempted. Not sure I'll go for it, though, cos it is new. Then again... :)

Rabski's are HM-3 I believe?
I mentioned the Choir Audio stuff in the other thread on SUT's. The HM-7 variant does look tasty but will be closer to £1250 by the time it's landed:

http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/01/07/2011/the-choir-audiohashimoto-sut-h7-moving-coil-step-up-transformer/

There is also another ready made Hashimoto HM-3 SUT from America called a SoundTradition MC-Live 10 or something - again about $1,000 plus import costs - so nearer £1k landed.

Peaman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2010
Essex
Do you think maybe the 20:1 ratio was better suited to your cart? Just a thought, I'm no expert in the field at all.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Do you think maybe the 20:1 ratio was better suited to your cart? Just a thought, I'm no expert in the field at all.
I think it might have been beneficial but I'm sure 99% of the sound quality difference is down to the quality of the transformers and wiring - which given the respective prices is not surprising.

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great sermon Paul and what a convenient and subtle piece of prose. :p Just to verify Paul's statement the difference demonstrated by Richard with the SUT in place was huge. Obviously something I need to seriously consider.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a bugger isn't it?

You get to hear what makes a real difference and is a significant upgrade to your system, and surprise surprise it isn't a new cable or the latest hyped item on the interweb, it is something based on good engineering. :)

And surprise surprise it isn't cheap :(

Ah well it's only money, but you won't be happy until you have a new SUT.

Just don't go and listen to anything more exotic! :nup:

alfie2902

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2008
Nottingham.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice mini review Paul!

I believe that there is some credence to alot of the sound quality being down to better quality wire, core material & winding type/style, but the maths will also have some influence. Both underloading & overloading the cartridge will have some effect too. The impedance can be tuned down with resistors though.

The HM-7 is claimed to be made from better quality componants but is 1:15 (208ohm) & 1:30 (52ohm) as opposed to the HM-3 at 1:20 (117ohms) & 1:40 (29ohms) the ratio will also effect the voltage output, so one SUT may be better matched to the chosen cartridge than the other. I think finding the best SUT is the one that offers the best quality build & that matches the chosen cartridges electrical requirements also.

The HM-3's look better suited to the carts in my collection, but the extra quality of materials in the HM-7's interest me too.

Hmmm... Perhaps a group buy might work out cheaper if there's interest? The eBay seller that gthang points out is behind the SoundTradition MC-Live 10 SUT's too.

MartinT has a Chior Audio SUT-H7 (HM-7) http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?49265-Shelter-5000-MC-Cartridge&p=1019146&viewfull=1#post1019146 bigger review here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12101

June

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2008
Transylancashire
AKA
Morris Karloff
Thanks to unclepucle for reviving this topic - I too had my interest piqued by Rabski's posts a few months back and since then have been interested in purchasing a Hashimoto based SUT.

I couldn't decide whether to go for a fully built unit (I like the look of the Choir Audio SUT) or just import the transformers and get the rest of the unit built locally (don't know where though).

There's was chat some time ago on AoS, regarding the HM7 and here's a relevant link to an SUT shootout - http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1278350882&openflup&8&4

If a group buy materialises, count me in.

alfie2902

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2008
Nottingham.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be worth getting a current price from http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/ for the Hashimoto's. At least there would be no import duty lottery.Edit: I'd be interested in a group buy too.
You could be right! From Sound Tradition on eBay the HM-3's are £350 a pair but once P&P, Import Tax & duty are added they may prove more expensive than buying from Acoustic Dimension at £450 a pair plus UK P&P.

I wonder what Rabski was charged for Duty etc on his HM-3's?

G

Great review Paul with loads of useful info. :^

Your "rep-o-meter" has been adjusted accordingly.

I heard rabski's set up with & without his Hashi SUT.

You're right, the difference is significant, as in "I've gotta have one of those and now!"

That Silvercore you tried, is winging its way here, from Peter @ Deco Audio for an audition, after your good self.

Peter @ DA was massively helpful.

Looking forward to hearing what it brings to my Koetsu Red/Eastern Electric minimax tube PS combo.

In the meantime I've had a discussion with Tom Willis, Art Audio, who hand makes some seriously good trannies.

As my assembly skills are not up to job, I had a word with Mark @ The Missing Link about making them up into an SUT.

Its in the embrionic stage at the moment, so I'll report more when its less of an idea, and more of a project.

Price wise its looking just a tad more than the Silvercore 1-10.

The Hashi group buy sounds like a good option too.

All good stuff & lets keep all the info flowing.

But an SUT in now firmly at the top of my Christmas list.

biker boy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2008
Nottingham
AKA
Doug
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I mentioned the Choir Audio stuff in the other thread on SUT's. The HM-7 variant does look tasty but will be closer to £1250 by the time it's landed:http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/01/07/2011/the-choir-audiohashimoto-sut-h7-moving-coil-step-up-transformer/

There is also another ready made Hashimoto HM-3 SUT from America called a SoundTradition MC-Live 10 or something - again about $1,000 plus import costs - so nearer £1k landed.
When I cotacted Choir they were very helpful, but what put me off was the full cost of the SUT would not be covered by the insurance they offered. Hence the decission to by local. Doug

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that a key phrase here was that Rabski's SUT was providing a better match to your cartridge, and my thinking was always that you start looking at SUT's in that way...ie you make sure that what it is doing is making your cartridge perform to 100% of it's ability. Better transformers and wiring in an SUT will not help at all if the matching ain't right, so be careful of the bling, and even more careful to check the maths. (I'm sure Rich has done exactly this, hence the specs of his SUT made for the system no doubt, and since you both own transfig's, I imagine that his transformer will be close to perfect for you...I am just suggesting to other readers that component quality is not the only grail, after all, as Rich will be the first to tell you, AN wiring might just as well be a bit of Maplin's best).

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Thanks Rocky - I did ask about the 'maths' and the correct match for my cartridge in the other thread (linked in first post) and the resident Wam experts did their best to explain it all. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online