Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Used to sell them many years ago .. got to compare the original 1200 against all manner, from Oracle to the cheapie Sansui SR222. Needless to say I did not buy a 1200 and perhaps not surprisingly not many customers did either.

You may own one and love it and that is fine but why the hell most owners seem to be in a club where they can all pat each other on the back and congratulate each other defeats me.

Now if we take the SP10 that is a different story .. or for those who liked three arms to be able to use different cartridges, the Micro Seiki DOX 1000 was a nice piece of kit. As for changing an SME 15 or changing any other turntable, that is a matter of personal taste. The only turntable I would change mine for is a Luxman PD300 .. or a Win Labs.

I am very happy to not be in a club and that my choices are mine and for me.

As to the comments on freebies .. it is common knowledge that the items sent for review are often not taken back by the company but what those products are we will never know. I do often wonder what kind of income reviewers make .. my favourite reviewer Dave Berryman is not a rich man and very modest and honest (he made up his money as a consultant designing loudspeakers I believe) but when you find a reviewer whose system is made up of components costing circa £100k it makes you wonder (even moreso when one sells a pair of £15k loudspeakers second hand six months after reviewing them).

The thing to remember with hifi is, to follow your own ears and buy what they like. Also remember just because they like it does not mean that others will.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Used to sell them many years ago .. got to compare the original 1200 against all manner, from Oracle to the cheapie Sansui SR222. Needless to say I did not buy a 1200 and perhaps not surprisingly not many customers did either.

You may own one and love it and that is fine but why the hell most owners seem to be in a club where they can all pat each other on the back and congratulate each other defeats me.

Now if we take the SP10 that is a different story .. or for those who liked three arms to be able to use different cartridges, the Micro Seiki DOX 1000 was a nice piece of kit. As for changing an SME 15 or changing any other turntable, that is a matter of personal taste. The only turntable I would change mine for is a Luxman PD300 .. or a Win Labs.

I am very happy to not be in a club and that my choices are mine and for me.

As to the comments on freebies .. it is common knowledge that the items sent for review are often not taken back by the company but what those products are we will never know. I do often wonder what kind of income reviewers make .. my favourite reviewer Dave Berryman is not a rich man and very modest and honest (he made up his money as a consultant designing loudspeakers I believe) but when you find a reviewer whose system is made up of components costing circa £100k it makes you wonder (even moreso when one sells a pair of £15k loudspeakers second hand six months after reviewing them).

The thing to remember with hifi is, to follow your own ears and buy what they like. Also remember just because they like it does not mean that others will.
Surprisingly they like nearly everything they review, probably because they can keep it. Large pinch of salt for some of these reviews.

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Surprisingly they like nearly everything they review, probably because they can keep it. Large pinch of salt for some of these reviews.
The algorithm put this in front of me yesterday, and being a finger on the pulse type of person, it was a new one to me:

You can imagine my little beady eyes lighting up with the internals looking like a decent 70s/ 80s mil spec piece of test equipment. Said he had a little tear in his eye as they sent it back. Sounds like a nice bit of kit.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say it is more likely they review what they like. It is a subtle difference but honest reviewers will simply not review something they don’t think is up to scratch. Also, the majority of gear isn’t kept by reviewers. Only the wealthiest of manufacturers or distributors can give away hardware. Most have one or two review samples that do the rounds. What might happen is an opportunity to buy at cost in the knowledge it can be sold on. Obviously reviewers with a big reach are going to get preferential treatment. Seeing your hardware on a big players kit list will always be a positive thing for sales.

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned a 1200G and boy was it good , I still own a 1200 and a 1210 , only sold the 1200G to help fund my
Nu Coil Platalea Minor Nu Magrotor , May buy another G if one turns up at a decent price used.

Reactions: MVJ

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Over the years I have owned many decks including several models of Proect, Rega, Clear Audio, and Thorens. For a while I used the SL1210 but it was looks, rather than sound quality which made me change it to the SL1500 which is less disco looking and included a built-in MM pre-amp which can be bypassed. The supplied cartridge can be upgraded by a stylus change.

The fit and finish on the Technics range is immaculate . I do prefer the sound of direct drive compared to belt drive.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say it is more likely they review what they like. It is a subtle difference but honest reviewers will simply not review something they don’t think is up to scratch. Also, the majority of gear isn’t kept by reviewers. Only the wealthiest of manufacturers or distributors can give away hardware. Most have one or two review samples that do the rounds. What might happen is an opportunity to buy at cost in the knowledge it can be sold on. Obviously reviewers with a big reach are going to get preferential treatment. Seeing your hardware on a big players kit list will always be a positive thing for sales.
In the US keeping of gear seems more common than here, also they are probably worried about getting sued for a bad review.

Reactions: uzzy

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A magazine editor explain a few years ago why the vast majority of products received a good review. He said that there was little point in having a magazine full of poor reviews and that they would rather review products that they liked.

Reactions: uzzy and lazycat

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I find his reviews follow the same pattern and predictability.
I certainly won't be chopping any bit of equipment in on his say so.
Especially an SME 15.
I find Tarun far more measured in his reviews.
Also like the mannerism and presentation of Steve Ellis

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I find his reviews follow the same pattern and predictability.
I certainly won't be chopping any bit of equipment in on his say so.
Especially an SME 15.
I find Tarun far more measured in his reviews.
Also like the mannerism and presentation of Steve Ellis
Nobody should change anything because of a review

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online