Streamers with volume control - analog Vs digital?

Ethos

Wammer
Jan 26, 2022
SW London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Question to tap into the knowledge of members please. Could I plug in a streamer (for spotify/ tidal) directly into a power amp - or even powered speakers? I'd imagine many of them would have volume control built in. In these situations, is the volume adjustment done in the digital domain? Does this compress the dynamics?

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most are done digitally (usually using the inbuilt volume control in the DAC chip) but it can compress dynamics. Eg ESS claim to have a "bitperfect" volume control but I'm sure from trying it out that it's not.

The other risk of using an inbuilt control is it can be easy to accidentally change it to full volume in some apps just by tapping the screen, this could potentially damage your speakers.

Personally I like to have a pre amp in between, I know some say adding components always makes the sound less transparent, but the limitations of an inbuilt volume control can be worse than another (good) component in the signal path.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Question to tap into the knowledge of members please. Could I plug in a streamer (for spotify/ tidal) directly into a power amp - or even powered speakers? I'd imagine many of them would have volume control built in. In these situations, is the volume adjustment done in the digital domain? Does this compress the dynamics?
The answer is it depends on the equipment in question.
But digital volume is transparent so long as the DSP is performed at ≥ 32Bit floating-point:

The final truth about DSP Volume Control in Roon and XMOS

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Bluesound Node is a very good streamer and value for money. Yes there is a volume control which is operated from the App. I too would be wary about feeding directly into a power amp as it would be easy to accidently to get full volume into your poweramp/speakers.

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi,
my TEAC ud701n has an analogue pre amp complete with rca/XLR inputs and outputs. Its predecessor, NT 505 also had a preamp, but I have only ever used either in fixed volume output mode, as is the Node. Full specs here:
Ud701n
a superb performer to my ears and a Swiss Army knife of versatility. The Esoteric version N05 XD costs £10800,

Reactions: tuga and Ethos

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the Arcam ST60 which can be used as a digital pre amp I believe

Reactions: Ethos

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have used Benchmark DACs for 14 years either into an integrated or direct into a power amp. They sound great and you can pick up the DAC1 at a good price secondhand c£300-450. I now use the DAC2 but these are rarer to find secondhand. The new DAC 3 is about £2000.

Patu

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2019
Finland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you're worried about digital volume controls (which, if properly implemented, I think you should not be), there's few streamers with analogue preamp section. Auralic comes first in mind. With Mytek you can choose to use analog or digital volume control.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If worried about full volume blowing something in the speakers by accidentally putting the speaker to full volume, another option is to put attenuators between the streamer and power amp/active speakers - so you won't accidentally put full volume through them. Or speakers like the AE actives have adjustable attenuators built in

Motortown review

Wammer
Nov 9, 2020
What about a streaming pre amp, I use a Nain 272 pre, plenty of inputs digital and analog, can stream spotify or Tidal, but not the other streaming platforms.
I just rip CD's to the hard drive rather than stream from a Tidal or other.
Prefer to play records TBH, but streaming is for when I'm feeling lazy.

Ethos

Wammer
Jan 26, 2022
SW London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For a while, I used to use a Marantz CD6000 KI signature CD player that had a built in volume control - straight into a Rotel power amp. Unfortunately, the Marantz used to default to full volume on start up so I did have an accident or two but fortunately no damage done! I'm sure more modern kit will have better protection built in (or I hope!)

Not really afraid of digital volume control - just as long as it doesn't impact the sound negatively. I've got a few hours of research ahead now to explore the options suggested. Many thanks all!

(I really should 'finish' the multi-channel system before I start on the dedicated 2 channel one but...)

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For a while, I used to use a Marantz CD6000 KI signature CD player that had a built in volume control - straight into a Rotel power amp. Unfortunately, the Marantz used to default to full volume on start up so I did have an accident or two but fortunately no damage done! I'm sure more modern kit will have better protection built in (or I hope!)

Not really afraid of digital volume control - just as long as it doesn't impact the sound negatively. I've got a few hours of research ahead now to explore the options suggested. Many thanks all!

(I really should 'finish' the multi-channel system before I start on the dedicated 2 channel one but...)
You will want to look at reviews and specs quite hard, and seek to understand exactly how digital volume control is achieved. Rudimentary digital volume control can have quite a negative effect. Benchmark, Chord etc all seem to do it right, without bit loss.

Why do you seek to avoid a preamp?

Ethos

Wammer
Jan 26, 2022
SW London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You will want to look at reviews and specs quite hard, and seek to understand exactly how digital volume control is achieved. Rudimentary digital volume control can have quite a negative effect. Benchmark, Chord etc all seem to do it right, without bit loss.

Why do you seek to avoid a preamp?
I was thinking it would be a simpler system - and one less thing to buy and match. I've never been into vinyl and haven't listened to a CD in many years so source selection is not needed. Also, something about the simplicity of powered speakers fed direct by a streamer appealed to me. I might end up going in a completely different direction but I thought this was worth exploring.

Reactions: TheFlash

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online