Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends on the cartridge, or rather, the way in which the stylus is attached to the cantilever.

However, the idea of water and vibration has an obvious 'no' from me, in that it seems highly possible for that to get minute water paticles into the cartridge and suspension, which is definitely not a good idea.

Personally, I've always used something like the Zerodust, Vinyl Passion Dustbuster or similar. It's a small pot of sticky stuff that you drop the stylus into, and which picks up any attached muck. Beyond that, an occasional clean with a liquid cleaner and brush, though I prefer to do this with the cartridge dismounted and under a magnifier. This way, you can hold it with the cantilever pointed downwards, and avoid any liquid travelling up it.

Some people use more agressive things (erasers or even fine wet and dry paper), but I've tended to have cartridges with extremely delicate cantilevers and I'd be very wary of bending or breaking. I'm also very fussy about LP cleaning, so the stylus tends not to pick up much crud in the first place.

Reactions: dikki

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Before each listening session, Onzow Zerodust and green sandpaper. I don't clean between records nor between sides. I limit the amount of interaction with the stylus to reduce chance of mishap.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Green paper every five to ten plays, Original Silly Putty or Rub-Off regularly (every couple of records). Discwasher SC-2 stylus brush without fluid to get dust balls off.

Reactions: mskaye

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lyra SPT treatment and Onzow Zerodust. I also use AT cleaning fluid depending on how much gunk needs to be removed. Stylast for treatment..which I have found over the years to be beneficial for stylus life.

13th Duke of Wymbourne

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
Dana Point, Ca
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a Discwasher SC-2 brush (dry, no fluid) every side or two and then at the end of each session I dunk the stylus up and down (only) two or three times onto Magic Eraser followed by a final SC-2 brush ready for the next session.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use green paper and Lyra SPT when I feel the stylus needs it** To remove the occasional fluff, I use a very soft paint brush. Very occasionally, I’ll give a blast with my old AT vibrating cleaner. I have Silly Putty, but am reluctant to use it.

** many, many years ago, I recall someone had asked Ivor how often the abrasive cleaner should be used. “When do you get your hair cut?” came the cryptic response. What he was getting at, is do it when you feel you need to.

’troll

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a DS Audio ST-50 and lower the stylus into the gel three times before each side. Expensive, but worth it as it never wears out and just needs rinsing with water every now and then.

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In a digital world with „true“ and „false“ it‘s „true“ 😜
In my world true is not always the same as "true", let alone „true“
:confused:
I do clean my records, but different kind of vinyl lead to different results. And sometimes the record is crusted so badly, yet I still want to hear it every now and then.
Also... my RCM doesn't have a way to clean 10 inch or 7 inch records.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online