Taming the top end

doctorjuggles

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2006
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never made a secret of the fact that I'm more sensitive to top end than most people. It's not that I don't like a good top end, it's just that certain types of treble just go straight through my head and mangle my brain. It really hurts and, while it's happening, it's all I can think about.

Most of my cabling is either cheap Richer Sounds Gale stuff, and the rest is QED SA. From what I've heard, it's a poor match for my tastes.

So I was wondering if fellow Wammers knew of the warmest cable with the capability of taking the edge off of the very highest frequencies. I guess it doesn't have to be warm. 'Least sibilant' for want of a better phrase. I like treble in real life, my view is that, in real life, treble almost never hurts my ears. If we can't reproduce that, then I'm looking to tame just the edges that do hurt.

Dope

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
Geneva, , Switzerlan
Van Den Hul make smoooth sounding cables.

The First Ultimate is pretty special but so it should be at the price.

But you can get a second hand D102 for much less and that should do the job.

VDH cables are also meant to work quite well with Musical Fidelity electronics.

doctorjuggles

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2006
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Aaaargh. My mistake, sorry, I forgot to specify that I'm after speaker cable.

But thanks, Dope, you're right on the money with what I'm after, because I already use v.d.H. D102 MkIII interconnects in all my systems. It's that kind of thing that I'm after, but in speaker cable.

Cheers

Dope

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
Geneva, , Switzerlan
Sorry Dr Juggles, I replied a bit too quickly, I should have read between the lines.

Not much of an expert on speaker cables myself, I just use fairly bog standard thick diameter copper cables.

I’ve not used them myself but from what lots of others say, just about anything other than QED SA would be an improvement.

hifi addict

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Hastings/ Crete
www.hifitraders.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Speak to richard of LFD. He would probably have a cable to suit or design one for you because he can.

The other thing to do is to go to your friendly local dealer and borrow some to try. You won't know unless you try for your self. Only you can decide.

Ganders

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2007
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try Van Den Hul Inspiration Hybrid if you don't mind splashing out a bit-I replaced my Goertz with it a few months ago,a huge improvement.My treble is now smoother,less piercing but considerably more detailed.And the bass is cavernous!!
biggrin.png

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I was having brightness issues... a switch in speaker cable to Transparent really helped to smooth the top end.

I've moved up the transparent ladder now so have a spare set, well I'm running bi-wired anyway after no-one bought my old set.

Drop me a pm, if you wanna give them ago. I've also got TMC interconnects which a rolled off at the top slightly too. (well they were in my system anyway)

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
I am not sure you should be looking at cables to 'control' your hf , I would be looking at the source of the problem.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
doctorjuggles wrote:

I've never made a secret of the fact that I'm more sensitive to top end than most people. It's not that I don't like a good top end, it's just that certain types of treble just go straight through my head and mangle my brain. It really hurts and, while it's happening, it's all I can think about.Most of my cabling is either cheap Richer Sounds Gale stuff, and the rest is QED SA. From what I've heard, it's a poor match for my tastes.

So I was wondering if fellow Wammers knew of the warmest cable with the capability of taking the edge off of the very highest frequencies. I guess it doesn't have to be warm. 'Least sibilant' for want of a better phrase. I like treble in real life, my view is that, in real life, treble almost never hurts my ears. If we can't reproduce that, then I'm looking to tame just the edges that do hurt.
Im not sure cables can totally cure this. I'd look elsewhere in the chain first.

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Save your money, Van Damme is perfectly good enough and way better than SA.

You might also like to consider how bright your room is. Does it need more soft furnishings or some absorption (hangings, drapes).

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which of your many systems is sounding bright?

I have heard that x-ray kit sound pretty sharp before. perhaps use the opus with the MF amp.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you want to spend just a few tens of ££, then Van Damme or Gotham.

I use the Gotham with excellent results - EBAY_LINK. £34 delivered for a 2.5m pair. But he'll make whatever length you want.

If you have a £100 or 3, then you might go for a VdH hybrid cable - nice & smooth, especially if you like the D102/3 interconnects.

(But TBH I think the Gotham is a great cable regardless of price).

.... the main thing is to get rid of that accursed QED SA - it is entirely the wrong cable for you!
wink.png

doctorjuggles

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2006
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
wolfgang wrote:

From your detailed discription of your problem I wonder if you would consider trying out an amp with build in tone controls.
Yep, I suspect this might be the case. Either that or I need a warmer amp overall. The Roksan can be a bit hard and edgy at times, it's got great power and drive but is a little excitable.

Thanks for the replies, all. Thought I'd try a cheaper cable option before I tried a more expensive upgrade.

Napoleon

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Cheshire, UK
Is your kit resting on glass? This can cause horrendous problems IME. Agree QED SA is a nightmare, Chord Rumour is quite spectacular for the money.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't agree it's an amp 'problem'. I do agree it's an SA problem. I changed from SA to Chord and the difference was stunning. Never lost any of the top end, it just stopped being harsh and overly bright. If you haven't got too much length to worry about, stick an ad in the classifieds and try a few alternatives. Doesn't have to cost much.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
wolfgang wrote:

From your detailed discription of your problem I wonder if you would consider trying out an amp with build in tone controls.
or buy a graphics equiliser or parametric EQ (if the budget will stretch). I think behringer do a range...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.