The space betwwen your ears

G

Many people , myself included advocate about hifi and not music.
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif
They are not linked no matter how much we stress that they are. Only someone who doesn't give a flying fudge about gear and just loves the music will really be truly happy . Ok this is not the Duvet with his cynical head on or just me being a little bit pissed off at the world. My amps are not selling at the moment but the fact that at the right price i am resigned to losing them means that in my mind they are as the French say histoire. So what happens is the six inxces or so between my lugholes just relaxes when i am listening and i do not give a jot. As i've said they're going. Its almost as if i can only appreciate how good they are once i know the pressures off . I stop analysing and start just f********* listening .This syndrome has happened to me more than once. Is it the restless human spirit that pushes us on to new boundaries when really we would much rather say no thank you i 'm happy as i am.

Anyway listening to Ian Brown " Music of the Spheres " fecking awesome cos i'm relaxed. Where's EOS with a neuro slap around the face when you need him.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
point taken duvet...that is why I like the system that entertain me more than some gears that people use as a analys tools. Very Transparant hifi equipments is boring - imo. BTH Ian brown is a lot better when he was in the stone roses.

A

Alex A

naa. Music of the Spheres is a fantastic album. I like both but I prefer it to much of the Stone Roses stuff.

I don't know where you pulled transparency vs. something else from that post ob, but there is no reason why a transparent system will not be captivating. Maybe you have a different notion of transparency than I do.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alex_A wrote:

naa. Music of the Spheres is a fantastic album. I like both but I prefer it to much of the Stone Roses stuff.I don't know where you pulled transparency vs. something else from that post ob, but there is no reason why a transparent system will not be captivating. Maybe you have a different notion of transparency than I do.
Some regard a transparent system as uninvolving and fatiguing - i would suggest that if that is your experience the system was poorly-balanced and lacked synergy.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Duvet wrote:

So what happens is the six inxces or so between my lugholes just relaxes when i am listening and i do not give a jot. As i've said they're going. Its almost as if i can only appreciate how good they are once i know the pressures off . I stop analysing and start just f********* listening .This syndrome has happened to me more than once. Is it the restless human spirit that pushes us on to new boundaries when really we would much rather say no thank you i 'm happy as i am.
You've summed yourself up there in one go Danny. You are actually happy with your system and probably not selling your kit for the right reason which is why you feel this way. I know I've been there when I sold my Michell Mycro.

Sit back and enjoy it while you can, as just cos you sell it for something perceived as better/more convenient doesn't mean you may enjoy it as much. It's your brain trying to tell you of the remorse you will have when you have sold it.

Just make sure you make the right choice, once sold, so that you can enjoy it just as much in the future (and hopefully much more).

Good luck with your search - I don't envy you.

(still think you should give that Karan integrated a listen though
wink.png
)

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Alex_A wrote:
naa. Music of the Spheres is a fantastic album. I like both but I prefer it to much of the Stone Roses stuff.I don't know where you pulled transparency vs. something else from that post ob, but there is no reason why a transparent system will not be captivating. Maybe you have a different notion of transparency than I do.
Some regard a transparent system as uninvolving and fatiguing - i would suggest that if that is your experience the system was poorly-balanced and lacked synergy.
what you describe Phil is far from a transparent system, methinks those describing it thus, have not been listening to a transparent system. Perhaps transparent speakers with wrong ancilliaries.

A

Alex A

Indeed, for me, transparency is a great attribute. Certainly not a criticism, definately not boring, and not at all incompatible with entertainment value.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Reading griffos comment, tell me Dan, did you feel like this post bakeoff?

Perhaps those at the event thought things could be improved, mmm perhaps for them, but perhaps you are happy as it is? Don't listen to others Dan, your ears are the only ones that matter, re domestic issues, have you considered investing in a cupoard, allowing you to hide the amps and leave cdp on show?

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paul wrote:

Reading griffos comment, tell me Dan, did you feel like this post bakeoff?Perhaps those at the event thought things could be improved, mmm perhaps for them, but perhaps you are happy as it is? Don't listen to others Dan, your ears are the only ones that matter, re domestic issues, have you considered investing in a cupoard, allowing you to hide the amps and leave cdp on show?
Paul, I was at Danny's bake off and I think it's come from this, can't speak for the great man himself, just what I saw on the day.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too believe this came about as a direct result of the bakeoff. Danny and i spoke a few weeks ago and i thought he was going to keep the system as is.

Danny - what i will say is that if you're genuinely satisfied with the sound you're getting at the moment ignore everything else and stay put with the monos.

We all hear things differently after all.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
Alex_A wrote:

but there is no reason why a transparent system will not be captivating. Maybe you have a different notion of transparency than I do.
Well....I refer to the older recording discs - like ealy ac/dc which I love, for example- it sound bright and compress with transparant system but in my set up,the ruark round off the rough edge of the recording and make it a lot easier on the ears. I accept thata good hifimust have a certain degree of tranparantcy, I love my classe cos it offer a lot more details than my previous cdp but the end of the day I listen to music not the musicians's breathing!

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
OBS my system is at it's most transparent it has ever been, and listeing to ACDC on friday, was the best it has ever been, i suggest that the transparent system you last heard it on, had a component (s) that exhibited some minor distortion or lack of resolution (thats resolution, not detail!!)causing it to sound harsh. Thing is a lot describe transparency, when in fact the system they are listening to is far from transparent.IMHO

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
What is the different then? (resolution, tranparant, lots of details) I thought they all mean "whatever on the disc - you will hear!" BTW Paul I wish I could hear your system...not many people use sony DVD as a source with such a classy amp and speakers. (I am not questioning the ability though)

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
HI OB I was only using the DVD as a tempoary measure, it will be used in a second system with the minimax amp and wharfedale 32 I got for £25 off eBay, my main system is a McIntosh valve amp and cdp, the difference between resolution anbd detail, theres a famous beatles track (IIRC) that contains "tings" near the beggining, on a detailed system you will hear these tings, on a high resolution system you will be able to tell what they are!!!

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Papa Lazarou wrote:

I too believe this came about as a direct result of the bakeoff. Danny and i spoke a few weeks ago and i thought he was going to keep the system as is.Danny - what i will say is that if you're genuinely satisfied with the sound you're getting at the moment ignore everything else and stay put with the monos.

We all hear things differently after all.
Have to say when ever I've been to a bakeoff or popped over and heard another members system, I do go back for a short time into analysing the system and seeing how it compares to what I remember hearing. If this continues for a long enough, I think thats when the twitch kicks in.

So are your till twitching Danny
wink.png

G

As usual you post something with one intention and people read another :DSuch is the way of the tent:nerd:. I have a back up if they sell. If they don't i won't be unduly happy:upgrade:. I have sold my speaker cables and am using some old stuff i found in the attic. Its a much longer run so i have been having a real play with the speakers positioning. This has yielded some real benefits. Speakers are further forward, wider apart and quite agressively toed in. :rockin:I have a mate who will make me some custome plinths . I is happy. Honest peeps. My point was more about your perception rather than whats actually happening. Still never mind a debate is a debate and thtas good enough for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online