The Unicorn that is Crayon's CIA-IT amp.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I swapped, a month or so back, my Leben 600 cs valve amp, for a Crayon CIA-1T, and if that has got you (as it did me) asking 'que?', then read on.

Crayon are a small Austrian company largely run by two men, Roland Krammer, who, they write…

He thinks in circuits, his constant questioning of traditional structures, his constant search for new components, manufacturing techniques and other scientific findings are what make him unique as a developer. The premise that there exists an optimum at every point within the circuit leads him to develop from the input socket selection step by step.
To give an example: Each active component has its own power supply and Roland is sometimes tinkering within the pico-ampere range, since all components have a certain range of fluctuation in their parameters. Even under the worst conditions, an ideal amount of power must still be supplied and therefore a transistor of appropriate (often larger) size must be used. If larger transistors are used, it is still necessary to ensure the shortest possible paths and to work with the limited space of the print.
The positioning of the components is essential: Due to the 6 to 10-fold multilayer boards, there are separate, continuous plains (layers) in the print for different voltages. Each component fetches its current from its layer by way of a through-hole plating. It is important that these currents flow in an orderly way within the plains, since currents cause heat, thereby changing the parameters of the components. The placement of all the components on the print has to be well ordered, not only to look nice, but also to distribute power and heat in an optimized way.
This concept is not only applied to the inner life of all Crayon amplifiers, but also to the housing, which is supposed to have optimized heat distribution and be beautiful and valuable at the same time. Another interesting detail in this context is the power amplifier section, which has been simulated up to 1 MegaHz for the CIA-1T and minimizes the feedback of the speakers to the amplifier with its Current Feedback System.
Therefore, each amplifier is a complete package full of extraordinary solutions.

And Dr Johann Pfennich…
My passion started with developing loudspeakers. Before the foundation of Crayon Audio, I already offered different speaker models under the company LSP (Lautsprecher Systeme Pfennich), which could be adapted by the surface to the set-up place (veneer), considered the existing amplifier in the crossover tuning and furthermore the preferred music direction (an essential point, which is unfortunately often paid too little attention to).
Studying the work of Thiele and Small, two Australian developers who raised loudspeaker design to a scientific level, showed that the amplifier with its broadband and the cable as well as the speakers form a single unit. Therefore, it was obvious that amplifier and cable had to be developed – the logical consequence was Crayon Audio.
I have been working on cable development for over 30 years now, with a special focus on the skin effect and the proximity effect. Both effects are based on eddy currents, which increase the resistance with increasing frequency and affect the broadband. To overcome these effects, we use eddy current-free Nextgen products by WBT. Another important consideration is the microphony itself. As cables are exposed to both airborne and structure-borne noise, they can generate errors, which must be avoided at all costs. This can be easily tested: If you step on an RCA cable, a loud squeak is generated, because movement turns the passive part cable into a signal generator.

I include the above for the context of an approach and design that sounds like nothing I’ve ever heard before. They say this of the design:

Dear Music Lover,
The CIA-1T. is an integrated amplifier developed after many many years of study and research. Our précis was simple; Create an integrated amplifier that within it’s power rating, establishes itself by having a unique relationship to music and sound reproduction among today’s components...And while maintaining said sonic excellence that we might through diligent effort, engineering expertise, and perhaps a small measure of technical finesse, make operation simple and lifelong enjoyment plausible.
As such, we have implemented a case that is precision machined from solid aircraft grade aluminium. Careful laser cutting and assembly lead to a beautifully finished component that’s beauty is more than skin deep. Each design cue of the CIA-1T has not only form but function, and contributes to the purity of sound, and life-like quality one can obtain from Crayon. The case, rugged yet elegant, serves to stabilize the internal electronics while acting as a very effective heat sink to keep unwanted temperatures away from any signal carrying circuit.
All internal tracing and signal runs are kept as minute as possible as to not corrupt the music in any fashion. Using the newest technologies, in this case, a PCB design called Broadband Dirks’ Decoupling (named for Professor Dirks) decouples the power supply up to t GHz to provide extreme electrical stability, and the lowest possibility of any electromagnetic interference.
Further care is taken by using cross regulators to stabilize the power supply of the preamplifier in the often disturbed region of 1Hz to 10MHz, thereby applying balanced current regardless of operating conditions.
The Crayon CIA-1’s output stage contains current feedback, (not signal feedback), which is a new method used in output stages that we feel makes the CIA-1T all the more celebratory.
Despite common parlance, A Swiss made Switching Power Supply, and German designed controls round out what is currently our finest effort in the vast world of integrated amplifiers. We have developed this product without compromise, and feel certain that our efforts will lead you to experience your music with a viscerally present and lifelike portrayal that will be new in your experience.

Having understood none of that I switched on. For about 8 seconds, a row of LED’s flash and tiny quiet switching noises are heard, then one steady LED remains and we are away.
Input is selected from the left push button, volume on the right and that’s it.

(HiFispeak adjective warning in what follows :) )

This is Bauhaus minimalist design. The sound has me a bit flumoxed. At first the obvious change from any previous amp is the clarity of the details. Each sound is floating in it’s own silent space. Sound staging is huge, especially vertically, which catches me out. Standing up and walking towards the speakers is like actually walking further into, somehow inside, the sound field. Weird and impressive at the same time. Speed is the next obvious characteristic. All sense of note blurring has gone. It’s so absent that I can’t get used to it at first; so clean and fast are the overriding impression from listening session one.

Later when I return I start to listen for flaws. Does clean and fast mean cold and analytical then? No. 'Antiphone Blues', a recording made live in a church with sax and organ, simple mics and valve amps, sounds so much like a sax…all the timbre and 'metalness' of the instrument is there, and all the minute details of the sound also present and still it sounds 'lovely'. Lovely in the way that the Leben made things lovely. NOT quite as (what’s the right word? Euphonic?) As huge valved SET amps can sound, because, of distortion, I can hear none at all. But lovely as that saxaphone must have sounded in that church? Yes. Like that.

I’m a bit amazed at this point. I seem to have found the solid state equivalent of the best push pull valve amps, with more speed, definition, silence and power. It’s rated at 90 wpc, and there’s no lack of punch. Operation is simplicity itself, it has a quirky remote that rocks on it’s base (like those fat policemen toys that you just can’t push over), the casework is quality, it doesn’t get hot, the phono stage is about the equivalent of my Avid £1000 job, and ??

Oh. The Tannoys LOVE it.

There is only one review in English that I could find (by 6 loons sadly, positive but uniformed and apparently much inspired by a German review I have yet to translate), and everyone I talk to here has never heard of Crayon amps, though I see Elite audio now distributes them.

They are here:

https://www.crayon-audio.com/home-en/

So if you are looking for that fictional beast, 'the SS amp that sounds a bit valvey’,
well yes, that’s still hunting for Unicorns, but honestly.
Hear a Crayon if you can. It’s not a Unicorn but it does seem to be working some kind of magic in my system.

Against Luxman’s L505 class AB? Faster, cleaner and more valvey sounding.
Against Leben’s 600? Less 'glowing and warm' but still with a reality of instrument and voice emotion and timbre that is just somehow more real.
Against my memory of my class D Bel Canto? Some good similarities there. Sharing the clean sound but where the B C felt a bit sterile, the Crayon does not. Fast yes, but more organic.

I have a lot more listening to do. Hearing something this different is odd but, day by day, making me wonder exactly what is going on here and why no-one else is looking at and making these designs.
It’s expensive, at £6700, but its baby brother is half that.

If you waded through to this far, I’d love to hear from anyone else who has heard one and, in particular anyone who can de-mystify me regarding the innards. I have NO idea what is going on inside the casing and really do want to understand the circuit, the lack of huge transformers and etc… in layman’s term please :)

Thanks.

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
John ....Ian917 of this parish is the only one I know who owns a Crayon amp
if I think back he came to robs bake off early January of this year.
it sounded good but we didn't evaluate closely as we busy chatting .
it's a different take on design for sure as is Lavardin .

Reactions: rockmeister

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As @deggie says, I have a Crayon - a CIA-1T like yours - as does @pedalfaster. I have no idea how it works but given a suitable pair of speakers, it works extremely well.
Hi. Thanks for replying.
Did you, like me, at first find it sounded a bit '???'
I am getting used to it now but something is happening here that i don't get. I read about a switching power supply, mosfets, etc and know the terms but don't even understand how an amp can be class AB without transformers in use in the 'normal' way. Well maybe some engineer will be along soon :)

Steveh

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
tallow vendor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see that they use a SMPS(a la Chord Electronics).
Sound great and good for the planet then? :)
Of course Chord amps are sterile(?) and clinical(?) but they do tell the truth IMHO. I am on my second power amplifier........

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see that it’s increased in price by £2k in 2 years..!!

Slightly Athletic

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2013
London
AKA
Johnny NoCash
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I appreciate your enthusiasm Meister but unfortunately don’t agree albeit only having heard the baby brother.
I used it with Living Voice speakers and it just didn’t work. My friend agreed .. in fact we thought it was faulty! Sorry

Reactions: It Cost How Much!?!

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read about a switching power supply, mosfets, etc and know the terms but don't even understand how an amp can be class AB without transformers in use in the 'normal' way. Well maybe some engineer will be along soon :)
?? The transformer is in the switching power supply, to step down the mains voltage to something more appropriate, and provide electrical isolation. A beneficial by product of the switching is that the switching controller can be used to provide stable output voltage.

In a solid state amplifier with no output transformer, Class AB has nothing to do with transformers. Simply put, it affects the underlying linearity (in many different ways) of the output stage, i.e. more class A is better / more linear.

Interested in these, this and Bakoon amps, and wonder if they are similar to Spectral, again mosfet output and high speed, and sounds good.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am very interested in Crayon amps - but was actually looking at the original version rather than the T (CIA-1 as opposed to CIA-1T) which is about half the price and there are some deals around at the moment if you ask! The issue I have is that there doesn't seem to be anyone that has made a comparison of the two versions, and apart from the one negative comment above the "basic" version gets stunning reviews from everyone that has heard or reviewed. As I don't need the extra power I was hoping to save a couple of £K and go with the less powerful original version. Apart from more power and silver wiring the descriptions of both versions is very similar (even on the manufacturers website). I doubt anyone here would have heard both the CIA1 and the 1T but even thoughts on the CIA-1 would be useful from anyone who has heard one.
Maybe there was a fault with the one that @Slightly Athletic heard, as all other views have been very positive (virtually gushing in their enthusiasm!). I guess even if not faulty we all have different tastes and ideas on what does or doesn't sound good. Of course if I purchased I could return if not happy but I don't want to order both to compare at home and the dealers are a very long way away from me so popping in for a listen isn't an option. The other issue is that if going for the more expensive T model could lead me to question other components and if they too will now need upgrading - a rabbit hole I don't particularly want to go down right now.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The initial problems with the Crayon CFA models puts me off. 50% failure rate. All sorted fairly quickly, but a concern for me.

HiFi is a niche market itself, amps a smaller part of that and 'boutique' amps like this represent a tiny, tiny volume. Hence their price has to be high, or nobody would make a living out of making them. Look at Elneum, for example; £6k for a small box of not much. Value judgement is for the buyer to make, of course, but I would urge caution.

SMPS, done well, can offer many advantages as a power supply. They are increasingly common, both for energy saving and sonic reasons.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SMPS, done well, can offer many advantages as a power supply. They are increasingly common, both for energy saving and sonic reasons.
Thanks Simon, I'm no stranger to SMPS as I have owned a couple of Linn products in the past, both with the Dynamik SMPS fitted.
I don't think they are making the CFA model currently, I think they are focusing on the CIA models (from what I hear from a dealer). I wasn't actually aware of any reliability issues.
The T version is virtually twice the price of the regular - just wonder if it can be that much better - especially if you don't need the extra power.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Simon, I'm no stranger to SMPS as I have owned a couple of Linn products in the past, both with the Dynamik SMPS fitted.
I don't think they are making the CFA model currently, I think they are focusing on the CIA models (from what I hear from a dealer). I wasn't actually aware of any reliability issues.
The T version is virtually twice the price of the regular - just wonder if it can be that much better - especially if you don't need the extra power.
If you take a look at the below, Roland Krammer of Crayon gives some background to the initial problems. In tbe past now, but these things stick in one's mind.

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue73/crayon_integrated.htm

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I must admit I am quite tempted by this amp, might try and get my hands on one. It's the right size for me , most high end integrated amps are too massive for me, and I don't need phono or DAC :)

Slightly Athletic

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2013
London
AKA
Johnny NoCash
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies everyone, I don’t know my arse from my elbow.
The amp I had was CFA-1🙄 so please ignore my post. It wasn’t broken either (indulgent exaggeration) just didn’t gel with my speakers & room.

Reactions: rockmeister

ian917

Status Unknown
Wammer
Aug 4, 2018
North Warwickshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. Thanks for replying.
Did you, like me, at first find it sounded a bit '???'
I am getting used to it now but something is happening here that i don't get. I read about a switching power supply, mosfets, etc and know the terms but don't even understand how an amp can be class AB without transformers in use in the 'normal' way. Well maybe some engineer will be along soon :)
It needs 15-20 minutes to warm up. The sound gets gets bigger, cleaner, and faster than it sounds when just turned on. I was a little worried about the switch mode power supply but, as long as you match suitable speakers, it doesn’t run out of steam when the going gets difficult.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one of these on order currently, although I'm not sure where it is at present - seems to be stuck somewhere in transit going by the tracking number, guessing it will arrive in the new year now or possibly next week if I'm lucky. Certainly hoping it will be a keeper.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Crayon CFA-1. Happily it was among the 50% that weren't faulty!

Yes, very nice amp.... Once it had warmed up. Minimum 2 hours, better after 2 days. Still improving after 2 weeks, I suspect. Which is ridiculous.
That's the aspect I didn't like about the amp, I don't like leaving things on 24/7.
I've never had another amp that did anything close to that warm up.

It sounded flat and boring cold.
I remember my very first listening session.... hugely disappointed. I started reading a book.... then suddenly, after about 2 hours my head literally snapped up. A sudden and massive increase in sound quality. The sound had suddenly come alive. And it continued to improve from there. Very strange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.