The Velvet Undergound

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
i'm sure that there are fans of this group on this site and i'd like to know what albums you'd recommend to a first time buyer of any of velvet underground's material?

cheers for any recommendations;)

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002G7C/qid=1140473960/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/202-0438264-9811005

B000002G7C.01._OU02._OU02_PIuk-r-fp-597,BottomRight,10,10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it has to be the Velvet Underground then CJR is spot on, but I would give it a miss and move straight to Lou Reed's solo album Transformers. An all time favourite album of mine and cuts to the chase really.

G

Andy Warhol is thought of as one of those seminal albums that you must own. I have but only three tracks really tick my boxes but as the album can be had for £6 it won't damage your pocket if you don't like it. They were pretty wacked out of it when making the album and it shows imho. Transformer by Lou Reed is a far more accessible piece of work as Wiggers says and though Bowie gets alot of the plaudits as producer the late lamented Mick Ronson deserves huge Kudos for his input

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Transformers is a stunning album great shout chaps, the best musical direction after VU for me is LR, unless you are a JJ Cale fan (I have never really hooked into JJC), I would also add Lou Reeds : New York Tales to the list, my perosonal favorite of the mans.

JJC - JJ Cale (Part of VU)

LR - Lou Reed

VU Velvet Underground

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002LGA/qid=1140475098/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/202-0438264-9811005

B000002LGA.02._OU02_PIuk-r-fp-699,BottomRight,10,10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Romeo & Juliet, Dirty Boluevard are 2 songs that are all time favourites of Lou Reeds.

G

Yep its a great album but to my eternal shame when i'm asked one of these stupid name your top ten singles i always forget Perfect Day:oops:
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif
. I'm such a Klutz

IHaveNoNaim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2005
, ,
cjr wrote:

...unless you are a JJ Cale fan (I have never really hooked into JJC), .JJC - JJ Cale (Part of VU)
erm. Don't you mean John Cale a man who's getting better and more ascerbic with age and still refrshingly avant garde, rather than the MORJJ Cale a man guilty of the unforgivable sin of writing the godawful (IMHO) Ccocaine.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
IHaveNoNaim wrote:

cjr wrote:
...unless you are a JJ Cale fan (I have never really hooked into JJC), .JJC - JJ Cale (Part of VU)
erm. Don't you mean John Cale a man who's getting better and more ascerbic with age and still refrshingly avant garde, rather than the MORJJ Cale a man guilty of the unforgivable sin of writing the godawful (IMHO) Ccocaine.
IHNN

I thought they were the same guy. Ie Claption also does a cover of "Travelling Light" on Reptile, and its a John Cale song. Maybe I am getting my wires crossed up here.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yep. Velvet Underground & Nico and Lou Reed's Transformer. Bang on the money.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cjr wrote:

Maybe I am getting my wires crossed up here.
Wire-upgrade might avoid further cross talk.:dude:

After Reed did New York, heand Caleteamed up for a qualityeffort inmemory of Warhol: 'Songs for Drella'.

d662798k5t4.jpg

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Velvet Underground & Nico (the banana album) is an essential part of any self-respecting rock collection - IMO, natch.

Songs for Drella - ditto.

Loaded & The Velvet Underground are good & contain such classics as Pale Blue Eyes, Sweet Jane, etc. If you like noise, check out White Light, White Heat, esp Sister Ray.

Transformer is OK, but is pop frippery compared to The Velvets or even Berlin (feel the depth of Lou's angst) or New York - both good purchases.

John Cale = JJ Cale??????? Puh-lease! Wake up at the back there!

And for the masochists out there (or Testy), how about Metal Machine Music - a contract filler to piss off his record company.

Boxer

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
boxer wrote:

John Cale = JJ Cale??????? Puh-lease! Wake up at the back there!
Boxer I would note that I know who John Cale is (trust me), I know not of the JJ Cale chap but assumed it was the same man that wrote “Travelling Light†and I “wrongly†assumed that was John Cale who had written it, hence calling him JJ Cale. I stand corrected that JJ Cale is not J Cale (gawd Im confused) :

http://www.rosebudus.com/cale/Covers.html

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/42543/102-6575293-0804939gives a list of albums.

In terms of proper albums, there aren't really that many.

'White Light, White Heat' is very noisy and experimental in places and you might not like it. Unless you like noisy, experimentalthings.

'The Velvet Underground' (their third LP) is not noisy at all. Some gorgeous songs. If you prefer more mellow things, check this one out.

If you don't enjoy these or the first 'banana' album then give up, else you might want to check out 'Loaded', and some of the interesting odds and sods LPs such as 'VU' etc.

The Velvet Underground are, perhaps, the 'coolest' band ever and certainly massively influential.

Lou Reed's 'Berlin' is also excellent. And John Cale is a personal favourite of mine and has a very rich back catalogue of wonderful albums 'Paris 1919', 'Fear', 'Slow Dazzle', 'Hobo Sapiens' etc etc.

jeffg

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2005
, ,
If you want a Velvets album for 21C try John Cale's "blackAcetate". Fantastic album. Probably my top 2005 album.

Jeff

Birdie Brain

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 26, 2005
, ,
I think all the Velvet Underground fans in this thread should get hold of Oasis' latest album and listen to the Noel sung track, "Mucky Fingers"

tongue.png

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Birdie Brain wrote:

I think all the Velvet Underground fans in this thread should get hold of Oasis' latest album and listen to the Noel sung track, "Mucky Fingers"
tongue.png
But no self-respecting Velvets fan would go anywhere near that bunch, surely?
tongue.png

Boxer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.