Linn Owners

Tonearm Karousel

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Linn dealer just sent me some photos of my just arrived Karousel and Ekos/SE. They came very quickly an it appears they could have shipped them overnight. I am now waiting on the Urika-II and a Chord Epic cable to hook the Urika up to the SDSM.

So still a few weeks out till I everything is installed. Looking forward to getting it all here. 

Reactions: akamatsu

Piercro

Linner from ages
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Milan
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have Ekos SE with Krystal and the difference with Akito bought in an Akurate LP12 was audible. More silent in general. I’m now waiting to Radikal Akurate Urika II upgrade with Karousel keeping kore. I know that there could be a difference but I think that in my current configuration with Exakt Akudoriks Katalyst could be better this step. 

• Upvote
Reactions: TooManyCatweazles

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Ekos SE with Krystal and the difference with Akito bought in an Akurate LP12 was audible. More silent in general. I’m now waiting to Radikal Akurate Urika II upgrade with Karousel keeping kore. I know that there could be a difference but I think that in my current configuration with Exakt Akudoriks Katalyst could be better this 
I went for Radikal + Urika ll as well, keeping the Kore. The Keel is better than the Kore, but I decided to allocate ths budget on a machined Radikal. The "amount" of sound improvement from the Akurate box to machined is probably a similar one like Kore to Keel.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Piercro

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hey guys -

In an effort to potentially take advantage of the current promo by Linn I am looking at upgrading my Akito 3B to a Ekos SE with the same Krystal cartridge. General questions:

1. Good plan or bad plan?
  2. For those that have an Ekos - why do you like it?

For reference the deck is currently Akurate level w/ Radikal Akurate. This would be the next step into a full spec Akurate deck. There is another cat in town who may also get the Karousel upgrade so my dealer, who has to travel a bit, would have us split the travel costs. Also I would be able to sell my Akito 3B so the overall cost is not too bad.
You would have to hear the new Ekos/Krystal vs. the old arm/krystal with and without the Keel to make a choice here.   Will a Keel and an older, inferior tonearm arm be better than a Ekos with the older sub-chassis?  Only you can be sure by listening. Disregard strict adherences to the "Linn hierarchy." Some upgrades are more passive than others. Arm and cartridges have distinct sound profiles that go above and beyond simply lower noise floors and other benefits of sub-chassis etc.  Until those sub-chassis upgrades appeared, you would upgraded the arm no questions asked. 

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You would have to hear the new Ekos/Krystal vs. the old arm/krystal with and without the Keel to make a choice here.   Will a Keel and an older, inferior tonearm arm be better than a Ekos with the older sub-chassis?  Only you can be sure by listening.
I agree that one's own hearing has to be the judge of any changes made to one's system. However, as every change-and-test sequence will involve dismantling and reassembling the deck - which itself, in theory at least, could have its own effect on sound quality - it is often impracticable to adopt a "change one component at a time" approach. Then, leaving aside the question of what in a tonearm might make it "inferior", there is always the issue of how combinations of components interact.

For instance, in the first incarnation of my LP12 I used the Basik Plus arm and K5 cartridge salvaged from my Basik TT. The performance of that arm and cartridge with the combination of Cirkus, Lingo 4 and Kore was very different (and, in the common opinion of the dozen or so people who listened to  it, much improved) over what it had been when mounted on the Basik. How to attribute that change? The LP12 components? The arm showing potential it always had? Both together? I just don't know, though my instinct is that each component, working in conjunction with the others as it was intended to do, contributed to the overall change.

Disregard strict adherences to the "Linn hierarchy." Some upgrades are more passive than others. Arm and cartridges have distinct sound profiles that go above and beyond simply lower noise floors and other benefits of sub-chassis etc.  Until those sub-chassis upgrades appeared, you would upgraded the arm no questions asked. 
This is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If you compare LP12s at the different performance levels, as many of us have done, I believe (from my own listening and others' observations) that each level of performance reduces the degree of distinctiveness in the sound quality produced by the LP12 source. In other words the LP12 transcribes the information in the record groove that much more faithfully. Noise reduction is therefore a key element of system performance. You will get reduced, or perhaps no, improvement from changing your arm and cartridge if the mechanical 'foundation' is inadequate, just as you would not construct a luxury house on anything but the most solid footings.

That is not to argue, of course, that improving the arm and/or cartridge is not sometimes the best way to improve a particular deck. And I agree that different component changes offer different degrees of improvement; IMO Lingo 4 to Radikal is a bigger improvement than Kore to Keel, for instance. That said, the degree of improvement from my latest upgrade (Cirkus and Krystal to Karousel and Kandid) has been such that I believe that some synergy is at work, and I am mindful that the Keel provides the all important mechanical connection between the bearing and the arm/cartridge assembly.

The hierarchy, like many other guidelines, is a good servant and a bad master. It is a useful checklist  and starting point for deciding which of the available options is likely to provide the most cost-effective improvement. But it is only a starting point. For instance, If I already had the Kore and was making the choice between the Keel and an ex demo Ekos SE, I would unhesitatingly choose the latter. Conversely, if the choice were between the Ekos and and ex demo Radikal, I would probably favour the latter, even if I only had an "inferior" arm.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.