Townshend Vibration platform

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This might be a silly question but is one of these for a turntable worth investing in.

My TT is on an MDF stand with various sorbothane pads under it on another MDF stand on a timber floor.  The floor is carpeted.

The TT is a Kuzma on its ply board on sorbothane.

The main stand has all the other kit on it, amp, cd etc.

I can walk about the floor and the stylus doesn't jump, in fact my daughter occasionally dances and the TT nor stylus jump or skip.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
well I don't think I have but hifi wisdom says that it shouldn't work where it is but it does.
I just wondered if they were any good.

The TT is on many different layers and seems happy enough.  

TT/Ply board/sorbothane/acrylic board/sorbothane/mdf stand/sorbothane/mdf stand/floor

Theo

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2007
Lincs, UK
AKA
is long
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have a timber floor, and it feels slightly bouncy, then the best solution is normally a wall shelf - even if it's a dry lined wall (hunt out the stud frame for fixings).

If you're in rented accommodation this might not be an option, and I know the perils of a bouncy floor. However, if you don't currently have a 'skipping' problem, then perhaps your current solution is enough? The Townshend one is good (I use the speaker ones, I've used the turntable one in the past), but perhaps a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see what you mean!  That “super sandwich” should deal with most things!  Certainly the lack of problems from footfall is an achievement for many.  

I’ve not tried it for years, but with great care you can test for feedback.  With the platter rotation off, carefully lower the stylus onto a (stationary) record.  Then with the volume at your usual loudest setting, tap gently on the platform, stand, etc., to see where any unwanted noise is coming from. 

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is a timber floor and an old one, built 1901, but all seems well, just wondering aloud that's all.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see what you mean!  That “super sandwich” should deal with most things!  Certainly the lack of problems from footfall is an achievement for many.  

I’ve not tried it for years, but with great care you can test for feedback.  With the platter rotation off, carefully lower the stylus onto a (stationary) record.  Then with the volume at your usual loudest setting, tap gently on the platform, stand, etc., to see where any unwanted noise is coming from. 
I did plan the sandwich and it looks fine as well.  forgot about your test, will do that and see what happens.

Reactions: Nopiano

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online