Tron amp settings

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the rear of my Tron monoblocks it has audio earth on/off and a choice of Inputs: AC / DC.

what are these settings for
/What do they do/how do I choose?

thanks

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The earth switch is a ground lift in case of a hum loop. Self explanatary really.

A picture of the amps' rear panel would be handy Hiace.

Jack

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As Jack says the ground lift switch helps eliminate ground loops which can plague the multi-box environments we inhabit. Switch at liberty to remove/reduce hum.
AC/DC is probably a simple capacitor in the input. It protects against DC entering the amp from the stage before. There shouldn't be any of course, but things can go wrong. If in doubt leave it on AC, the worst you'll suffer is one extra capacitor in line, and it will be a well chosen one of course.

Reactions: hifinutt

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The earth switch is a ground lift in case of a hum loop. Self explanatary really.

A picture of the amps' rear panel would be handy Hiace.

Jack

Sorry was using my phone on the train, so couldn't attach a photo.

Pic of rear:

Tg300t3.jpg

I remember someone saying the "DC input was ok if you know it's you who is turning the system on/off". This implies to me caution/a specific sequence is needed - any idea why?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As James states, the DC input will be direct coupled, so only suitable if you're certain that the source is 'clean'. A valve pre-amp with coupling capacitors would be fine, some solid-state preamps with opamp outputs could be an issue. Just use the AC inputs. It's only going to be a capacitor in series, and if it's half decent there won't be a difference. And it will be more than half decent. One thing you can say for certain about Mr Tricker is that he knows decent spec components.

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As James states, the DC input will be direct coupled, so only suitable if you're certain that the source is 'clean'. A valve pre-amp with coupling capacitors would be fine, some solid-state preamps with opamp outputs could be an issue. Just use the AC inputs. It's only going to be a capacitor in series, and if it's half decent there won't be a difference. And it will be more than half decent. One thing you can say for certain about Mr Tricker is that he knows decent spec components.

If I used DC input, with a dirty source, is there a risk of equipment damage, or just inferior SQ? I only ask because the original owner implied using DC input had certain risks.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I used DC input, with a dirty source, is there a risk of equipment damage, or just inferior SQ? I only ask because the original owner implied using DC input had certain risks.
Potential for damage, one way or another.

Very small potential, frankly. But possible nevertheless.

Just use the AC inputs and don't worry about it. I'd defy anyone to hear any difference, assuming the coupling capacitors are up to Tron's normal standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online