Trying some OCOS speaker cable

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Earlier I picked up some OCOS cable. The kind dealer didn't even ask for a deposit.

For those who do not know this is the cable Dyn use when developing thier speakers. It is a coxial cable made from copper. It is skinny and black:

DSC02315Medium.jpg

It is going up against Chord Epic. Both cables are 3m terminated pairs.

I've only had a quick listen so far...

With indie-rockers, Bloc Party, I found the Chord a bit more fun.

With Chet Baker the OCOS was much nicer. Vocals grated a bit with the Epic.

Full report later...

smile.png

E

earl of sodbury

Interesting. The differences you're hearing accord exactly with the differences I hear when comparing a sliver-plated speaker cable with an all-copper one - irrespective of manufacturer- the extra zing of the silver-plated cables strikes me as artifical, and I must admit I prefer all-copper (or all silver), but daresay that isn't true of all.

churz, eofs

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
, , Netherlands
Looking forward to your report. Looks like the cable doesn't use the special ocos adapters but that they are directly wired to the plugs. Adapters I rever to are pictured in this link at the bottem. I don't have a clearer picture but the black cable is ended with a coax plug and this connects to the seperate part with the two leads atatched to them. I have these adapters myself and I have the kind without the RFC filter in them.

http://www.hifi.nl/recensies.php?id=1180

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried the OCOS a few years back - only kept them a couple of days before re-selling them on eBay.

I found them thin and grainy sounding - a "poor man's Nordost" I thought.

I think I may have been in a minority of one on this !
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
wink.png
Other folks think v. highly of them.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ocos doesn't havea sound, it unmasks the character of what precedes it, probablyeven more than the Dyns themselves. I've ownedNordost speakercable. For a very short while.
wink.png

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
How much is this stuff Darren? I've never seen it advertised anywhere...

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Erik, I don't know how great my synergy is to be fair. According to forums my kit is on the boring wamr side, but this isn't the case in my plain room. The NAD has the power to get the Dyns moving, and it very clean and tight. The Meridian is just a joy to use. It seems to work well together though.

MIB, the cable is £25/m. The demo pair I have is the set Dyn used at the Bristol show on even those Confidence speakers. The big plus point is that it neutral and has a low impedance, which helps with Dyns I think. http://www.ocos.de/#

Call your Dyn dealer and order a set or ask for a demo pair.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Too rich for my blood! Mind you, it looks like low-loss satellite TV aerial cable might have similar characteristics.....or that chord-signature-a-like that Mossy unearthed...

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
meninblack wrote:

Too rich for my blood! Mind you, it looks like low-loss satellite TV aerial cable might have similar characteristics.....or that chord-signature-a-like that Mossy unearthed...
What are you using now? Do you need much length?

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
darrenm wrote:

meninblack wrote:
I have some Monster reference cable (hosepipe-sized!) that I got very cheap. I need 3 metres a side, so £25/m is too much!

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
meninblack wrote:

darrenm wrote:
meninblack wrote:
I have some Monster reference cable (hosepipe-sized!) that I got very cheap. I need 3 metres a side, so £25/m is too much!
Well when you buy your Evidence Temptations ask your dealer to do a deal on the OCOS
smile.png

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
darrenm wrote:

Well when you buy your Evidence Temptations ask your dealer to do a deal on the OCOS
smile.png
If only I had a bigger room...
biggrin.png

and more money...
sad.png

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
darrenm wrote:

Erik, I don't know how great my synergy is to be fair. According to forums my kit is on the boring wamr side, but this isn't the case in my plain room. The NAD has the power to get the Dyns moving, and it very clean and tight. The Meridian is just a joy to use. It seems to work well together though.
Justinvite them for a listen Darren. :)To my ears the NAD was sound wise a good matchwith theDyns. Surely a wise choice to pair this current strong amp withthe hungry contours.After2 months ofOcos useItried the VdHthat I still hadagain and it made me appreciating the Ocos, or the way it (not) works, even more. Always thought the VdH was pretty neutral/organic but it was colored and muffled in comparison. John, if youever get the chance then give it a try with the Dyns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.