Tuners: Marantz ST7001 vs Denon TU1800

E

earl of sodbury

I'm looking to replace my little TEAC unit as it looks silly with full-width kit and synergised much better with MF kit than my new system.

I want remote control, because I'm a lazy cvnt, and both FM and DAB. Sony, Cambridge and Pure are out because I've tried them in the past and not got on with them, but other suggestions considered.

The two contenders I can afford come from companies that are now closely related by co-ownership but have received differing reviews: HFC prefer the cheaper Denon; HFW prefer the pricier Marantz.

I suspect they are the same damn thing inside the boxes, but have so far not managed to arrange home-dems to find out.

Anyone tinkered with these two, or able to offer any hint.

Alternatively, can anyone spare a used copy/photocopy/scan of HiFi Choice ?283 (not sure of issue number)where they are (I believe) group-tested side-by-side?

Many thanks, eofs

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
earl of sodbury wrote:

I'm looking to replace my little TEAC unit as it looks silly with full-width kit and synergised much better with MF kit than my new system.I want remote control, because I'm a lazy cvnt, and both FM and DAB. Sony, Cambridge and Pure are out because I've tried them in the past and not got on with them, but other suggestions considered.

The two contenders I can afford come from companies that are now closely related by co-ownership but have received differing reviews: HFC prefer the cheaper Denon; HFW prefer the pricier Marantz.

I suspect they are the same damn thing inside the boxes, but have so far not managed to arrange home-dems to find out.

Anyone tinkered with these two, or able to offer any hint.

Alternatively, can anyone spare a used copy/photocopy/scan of HiFi Choice ?283 (not sure of issue number)where they are (I believe) group-tested side-by-side?

Many thanks, eofs
Have a look on the web sites for these two companies, but not the UK site but the English ones in the far east, I say that because they tend to put more pictures of the internal works on show

starting link for you here

http://www.denon.com.hk/product/consumer.detail.php?id=90

E

earl of sodbury

Thanks gents
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
earl of sodbury wrote:

I want remote control, because I'm a lazy cvnt, and both FM and DAB. Sony, Cambridge and Pure are out because I've tried them in the past and not got on with them, but other suggestions considered.
Earl I am building a Sony based system for a mate and have theSTSDB900B down as a tuna (the mad cretin wants DAB) have you tried this tuner yet ? If so what is your views, heis going to listen to my TU-1500RD tomorrow night, that should give a good idea of how theTU-1800 soundsin FM.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Earl, i was in your position earlier during the year, and ended up buying the Sony ST SDB 900, which held up quite well in a group test.cant remember which mag, may have been hfw or hfc, they usually go for around £120s/h.

E

earl of sodbury

cjr wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:
Earl I am building a Sony based system for a mate and have theSTSDB900B down as a tuna (the mad cretin wants DAB) have you tried this tuner yet ? If so what is your views, heis going to listen to my TU-1500RD tomorrow night, that should give a good idea of how theTU-1800 soundsin FM.
Way back I found it bright and shiny and unconvincing in a Cambridge system and opted for the matching Cambridge tuner instead (which I came to regret...), but inan all-Sony system it really ought to excell: system synergy counts for a lot IME.

Though I see Ice likes it... :Not Sure:

;)churz, sod of earlbury

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FWIW I really love mine. Although TBH I haven't heard any others (except for my Dad's older Sony DAB tuner). I didn't dem when I bought it, I got it not long after I finished Uni, got a "proper" job and started throwing soem money at my much neglected hifi. I don't regret it though and thoroughly enjoy listening to it!

P.S. DABs worth it if only for "The Freak Zone" every Sunday evening from 5pm on 6 Music. The best programme ever, I love it and I've heard some incredible stuff I wouldn't have otherwise! It's quite an expensive show if you know what I mean....anyway, check out the tracklistings! Alice Coltrane's "Journey in Satchidananda" is the featured album next week (great stuff!)! :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/freakzone/

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dont forget Earl, that my criteria was of a similar nature to yours, ie must have a remote, and it was indeed recommended by a few fellow wammers.

E

earl of sodbury

Shakey wrote:

P.S. DABs worth it if only for "The Freak Zone" every Sunday evening from 5pm on 6 Music. The best programme ever, I love it and I've heard some incredible stuff I wouldn't have otherwise! It's quite an expensive show if you know what I mean....anyway, check out the tracklistings! Alice Coltrane's "Journey in Satchidananda" is the featured album next week (great stuff!)! :http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/freakzone/
DAMN RIGHT!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
Awesome programme. Generally 6 Music is The reason for having DAB.

E

earl of sodbury

icehockeyboy wrote:

Dont forget Earl, that my criteria was of a similar nature to yours, ie must have a remote, and it was indeed recommended by a few fellow wammers.
Just teasing Ice - it's a good tuner loved by many, just didn't suit the system I had at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online